What Stereo speakers would you buy for $7,000?

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
#BOOM-POW

This times, like, 100,000,000^99!

They don't go as low as the Encores, but the Be Tweet and the AT Mid are supposed to be a stunning combination!
WRT the Encores, what does anybody think about that small mid range driver? Perhaps incorrectly, I've always been apprehensive about the ability such a small mid driver to well reproduce deep male voice in speech or song. Would not such a mid driver have to be crossed over to the woofer fairly high?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
WRT the Encores, what does anybody think about that small mid range driver? Perhaps incorrectly, I've always been apprehensive about the ability such a small mid driver to well reproduce deep male voice in speech or song. Would not such a mid driver have to be crossed over to the woofer fairly high?
The Zaph Audio 5" mid can perform down to around an F3 of 55-65Hz in the old Philharmonic Audio MiniPhil (ported, sealed respectively). That's a $50 Driver. You think that the AT Mid can't deliver in Spades as low as 400Hz? (Which is the bottom of the Speech Band for all intents and purposes.) Now I don't know where they are crossing at, but the three higher end Mids that Salk has been using (Accuton, Audio Technogy, Eton) are some of the best on market. They will soon be adding the Ceramic SB Acoustic driver to that line up as well, from what I understand.
Remember, It's also not just about crossing to the woofer, but also the tweeter. If you've never heard a Dennis Murphy designed speaker, you need to. Of course, chances are, you'll not likely be able to listen to anything else again! ;)

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
#BOOM-POW

This times, like, 100,000,000^99!

They don't go as low as the Encores, but the Be Tweet and the AT Mid are supposed to be a stunning combination!
That’s a lot of zeros Ryan!

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
The Zaph Audio 5" mid can perform down to around an F3 of 55-65Hz in the old Philharmonic Audio MiniPhil (ported, sealed respectively). That's a $50 Driver. You think that the AT Mid can't deliver in Spades as low as 400Hz? (Which is the bottom of the Speech Band for all intents and purposes.) Now I don't know where they are crossing at, but the three higher end Mids that Salk has been using (Accuton, Audio Technogy, Eton) are some of the best on market. They will soon be adding the Ceramic SB Acoustic driver to that line up as well, from what I understand.
Remember, It's also not just about crossing to the woofer, but also the tweeter. If you've never heard a Dennis Murphy designed speaker, you need to. Of course, chances are, you'll not likely be able to listen to anything else again! ;)
Thanks, so it appears that the Encore's small mid range driver's frequency range would not be an issue for male voice. What about dispersion? Perhaps also incorrectly, I have heard that a small mid driver may end up sounding "pinched" or "closed in" on deep male voice. Is there any truth to this? I think I like the look of the tweeter/mid setup on the Song3 BeAT more than the Encore.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
I'm having some trouble following your reasoning here (and below where you worry about a smaller midrange causing voices to lack weight and sound pinched and closed in). If the Eton mid did have to be crossed high, then it wouldn't be handling any male voice fundamental frequencies. So that seems to lead in the opposite direction from your concern about male voice reproduction with a smaller mid. In fact, the Eton doesn't have to be crossed very high, but it still wouldn't be called upon to handle male voice fundamentals in the area you're worried about (which would be spoken voice, baritone voice, bass voice, and lower tenor voice. I forget the exact crossover frequency, but it's around Concert A (440 Hz), which I struggled to hit in my singing days. With the exception of a gifted tenor tossing off high C's, the Eton only reproduces male voice overtones, which don't contribute to weight. And the Eton's smaller diameter should actually make voices sound less closed in because it has wider dispersion than a large mid.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I'm having some trouble following your reasoning here (and below where you worry about a smaller midrange causing voices to lack weight and sound pinched and closed in). If the Eton mid did have to be crossed high, then it wouldn't be handling any male voice fundamental frequencies. So that seems to lead in the opposite direction from your concern about male voice reproduction with a smaller mid. In fact, the Eton doesn't have to be crossed very high, but it still wouldn't be called upon to handle male voice fundamentals in the area you're worried about (which would be spoken voice, baritone voice, bass voice, and lower tenor voice. I forget the exact crossover frequency, but it's around Concert A (440 Hz), which I struggled to hit in my singing days. With the exception of a gifted tenor tossing off high C's, the Eton only reproduces male voice overtones, which don't contribute to weight. And the Eton's smaller diameter should actually make voices sound less closed in because it has wider dispersion than a large mid.
Thanks, I guess my perception could be from misinformation picked up over the years from some manufacturers who employ mid drivers as large as 6 inches in diameter. The claim seems to be that they will do a better job on things such as a deep male voice, as the mid driver can play lower and not rely so much on a large woofer.

One test I have for deep male voice is Russel Crowe in The Mummy(this test is done with subs turned off, so as to see how the speaker itself handles it). There is one scene in a large room, in which his voice was positively subterranean when I saw it at the movie theater. Perhaps, even in the theater, the depth of his voice was coming from subs, I'm not sure. If you are not hearing really deep bass in that scene, something is wrong. And I like to try to replicate that at home, as much as possible. It may be that I've been completely misinformed about this whole issue.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I do love my Hyperbole! :p

Besides, BeATs without the 4-6 mo wait!!! You could have them before @NINaudio gets his Salks! :p :p :p

(I can say that cos I been in that queue!)
:cool:
And you most certainly would get them before I got mine if you ordered them today!

If they were in a color I wanted I would seriously consider getting them myself... :cool:

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I love the sound of my Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf speakers and would spend the money on the Paradigm Persona bookshelf speakers...$5k per pair

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Get the Moab for 4500 dollars.
https://www.tektondesign.com/moab.html
It will eat most speakers (retailing at 7k these days) for breakfast. Get a bottle of whisky for 50 bucks to celebrate and leave the remaining 7000 - 4550 =2450 dollars in your savings account. (You could also donate that remaining $2450 to the guy who gave you such a wonderful idea! :D. But, considering the economy these days, it is better to keep it in your savings account instead)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Get the Moab for 4500 dollars.
https://www.tektondesign.com/moab.html
It will eat most speakers (retailing at 7k these days) for breakfast. Get a bottle of whisky for 50 bucks to celebrate and leave the remaining 7000 - 4550 =2450 dollars in your savings account. (You could also donate that remaining $2450 to the guy who gave you such a wonderful idea! :D. But, considering the economy these days, it is better to keep it in your savings account instead)
With a 50$ bottle of whiskey he could get something even worse! ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'd jump on these right now if I were you:

https://www.salksound.com/available-list.php?id=1
I don't know if you can still edit this post, but it would be good to specify the model and price in your post as the link apparently goes to whatever Salk happens to have available and causes confusion ... I was getting excited about getting a Murphy designed speaker with Be tweet for $1300/pr.!!!
Then I realized that the discussion here was no longer of the speaker linked!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know if you can still edit this post, but it would be good to specify the model and price in your post as the link apparently goes to whatever Salk happens to have available and causes confusion ... I was getting excited about getting a Murphy designed speaker with Be tweet for $1300/pr.!!!
Then I realized that the discussion here was no longer of the speaker linked!
Think that link was Salk towers of some kind. Now it’s Salk bookshelves. Must be their clearance page. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis