What Stereo speakers would you buy for $7,000?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I'm in the process of selecting a set of Stereo speakers (just L and R) for a 28' x 22' room with 9' ceiling. It's carpeted and I could add room treatments. The speaker budget is up to $7,000.

My listening tastes started with Jazz and Classical but have grown since I started using Tidal. I currently have a Denon 4500, Adcom GFA-7000, dual Soundcraftsmen S800, dual apt corp 1 and Hegel H90 amps.

I have a few Speakers in mind but I'm wondering what your choice might be? Thank you!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How loud do you like it?

I'd go this direction myself:

Dennis Murphy is responsible for the Voicing and XO design... frankly I haven't heard much that compares to the sound quality his work delivers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. RBH SVTR Reference Towers
2. Legacy Focus SE Towers

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
1. RBH SVT Towers
2. Legacy Focus SE Towers
Umm, That's a tough one so many really good at that price. At 7k you can pick up a nice pair of Serious Audiophile grade speakers. Here's the thing about jumping up the food chain with a pair of 7K speaker's. One must Consider service after the sale if you may need it. Than there's the E-commerce thing with a "Implied" warranty.
Crossing State line's with buying over the internet if you Ever have a issue with the Product you just bought could become a nightmare from a legal standpoint. Free shipping is cool and all that but what happens 3 years down the road or 5 years down the road and you need service with Product you bought? Many on AH have had issues with Well known companies. Gene has, I have, ADTG has, a few have had issues on AH with getting good CS At one time or another.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Polk L800 is a superb speaker, but it is really geared for a single listening position. However, if you are a single listening-position kind of guy, it throws an uncanny soundstage. Really good speaker.

At $7k, you could get Revel PerformaBe F226Be speakers. Those should be really good.

If you want a plain old good speaker, look at some JBL HDI-3800s. Neutral sound, very wide dynamic range.

I think the Definitive Technology Demand D17s are probably very good, if the D15s are anything to go by.

Dynaudio, PSB, Salk, Kef, Legacy, RBH, and Monitor Audio are all reliably good brands.

The Atlantic Technology 8600eLR look like they could be pretty good. I do want to hear a pair of those.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Speaking of dangerously close, OPs budget is dangerously close Salk's SS8's, which in this person's humble opinion, are the best speakers I ever heard at any budget. SS7F would be very close to SS8 but within the OP's budget.

For new members, some of my listening experiences included various Polks, DT, B&Ws, Wharfadale, Canton, Mission, Wilson audio, Legacy Audio, and many more.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
given your room size I'd go with a pair of Magnepan 20.7's (used) add a couple subs of your choosing, sit back and immerse your self in sonic bliss .......

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The SS8s keep coming up in converstion... As I understand it the Woofer is dicontinued. I don't know if Salk is sitting on a few since the speaker is still "available" on the site (as opposed to the SS10 and SS12)?

By all accounts, the SS8 is supposed to be one very astounding box-o-sound! Hope I get to hear a set someday.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
It'd be a tough choice between the Polk L800 and the Salk Song3 Encore. Probably go with Salk to support American manufacturing. Not much of that in the hi-fi world anymore.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
At that price range I’d probably be auditioning the Revel Be series, based on the reviews.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
It'd be a tough choice between the Polk L800 and the Salk Song3 Encore. Probably go with Salk to support American manufacturing. Not much of that in the hi-fi world anymore.
Man wouldn't that be nice huh? Getting back to buying, building and selling American made products. I'd just like to buy a American made vehicle.
EA8DA08C-7615-47B1-B109-980285479AA0.gif

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Mike, which speakers will YOU be buying for your next upgrade?

Polk? Monitor Audio? Klipsch? Canton?
Still Researching bro! Actually as of right now? Monitor Sliver 10's I Decided to hold up on TV upgrade. Was thinking of get a new "used" Vehicle but f..k that! my old crappie mustang will do one more year. I gotta have more "COWBELL"! :D At my age I don't need to be riding around as much as I use to. Oh and new Washer and dryer. With this Zombie apocalypse thing I ain't taking no Chances! I've seen what them Walking dead people can do. Didn't go too well for them GOT peeps.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Want to try something different? Use some RBH PM-8 or JBL 708 monitors on top of some decent subs to form a tower speaker in a manner of speaking. This will give you way more low-frequency dynamic range than any of these other options (except the JTR Noesis 215RTs). That also gives you a self-amplified system, so go ahead and sell your amps, since you won't need them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis