C

Colin2929

Audiophyte
Hi all I'm new to this so thanks for having me.
I currently use Andrew Jones SP BS22 bookshelf speakers paired with an Onkyo A9010 amp. I've got a Rega Planar 1 and only use this set up for records. I've recently seen some B&W DM601 S2 speakers for sale at a good price. Would changing to these make a marked improvement on my sound. I only ask because although the Pioneer speakers are highly regarded they just don't do it for me. I'm hoping I'll hear a massive improvement on sound if I plump for the B&W's. Can anyone give me some advice please? Thanks

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The advice should be to go out and listen to as much as you can!

The B&W has the woofer crossed over at 4khz, which does not bode well for off axis mid range sound. I would pass on this speaker.

Can you identify the qualities of the BS22 you find lacking? Or you just want a better speaker?

C

Colin2929

Audiophyte
Thanks for your response. The BS22 feels too bass heavy for my ear and lacks the clarity I've heard in other speakers, say, Q Acoustics 3020. I only asked because I saw the B&W's at a really good price and they are generally reviewed quite well. Just curious on upgrading on a budget.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
If you thought the BS22 was bass heavy, then tell more about the room they are set up in, what they are placed on, and the distance to you, and distance to the wall behind. The room is really in control of bass, so how and where you set your speakers up is of huge importance.

As for clarity, no doubt the BS22 is a solid, entry level speaker. That's why I suggest trying to visit HiFi shops in your area - the bass may differ because of the room, but if you focus on the mid and treble range you might narrow down what kind of sound you are looking for... or even a really great bargain!

I think all of the Internet Direct companies offer trial periods too so there's lots of avenues to explore before plopping down your hard earned money on a hope!

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
What is your budget? If your in a pinch you can always try used, a few sites other than eBay have great feedback and I've never been burned.
Bowers are not for everyone but in my opinion they would be a huge improvement over the Pioneer. If you can grab a pair for a decent deal I would. Worst case you can sell them, b&w hold value, basically a cult following for them.

C

Colin2929

Audiophyte
Thanks again for the responses. Its clear I've got a bit to think about and a lot to learn. I don't really have a budget, I just get a bit giddy when I see 'good' speakers for sale at a low price. I take your point of visiting hifi shops though.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks again for the responses. Its clear I've got a bit to think about and a lot to learn. I don't really have a budget, I just get a bit giddy when I see 'good' speakers for sale at a low price. I take your point of visiting hifi shops though.

This site has a wealth of information under the AV Research tab, I strongly recommend starting there.

Love of sound can be a very expensive affair, obviously, so it's best to be educated!

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Another to look at is some older Mordaunt Short for a cheap thrill

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So hard to ask someone else what speakers you might like, altho better speakers is generally the route to better sound. I like the idea of analyzing your setup first. I take it you're not using a sub so the bassy comment is a bit surprising.

No input on the B&W speakers, haven't heard many of them and the ones I did I wasn't particularly impressed with...think they were 68x models. What is the particularly good price? This search might point you to some existing info/users here.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well, the best approach is to listen to an array of speakers to get a sense of what you do and don't like.
Some people like a bit of emphasis on the midrange and less on the treble, or what is often referred to as a "warm" speaker. Others like a bit of emphasis on the high frequencies and less on the mids, which is often called a forward or bright speaker. And yet others prefer a neutral speaker that emphasizes neither.
I have found I generally prefer a neutral to forward speaker for most music - my preference varies depending on the music being played. Which brings me to the next point, which is you should make a CD of a variety of your favorite songs to use for auditioning speakers. Make the songs as diverse as possible while adhering to the music you like.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Try moving your speakers farther into the room, this is likely to decrease the bass, which (if the bass was heavy) will increase the detail you can hear.
Nonetheless, the BS-22's are limited by the budget and their drivers can only perform so well.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Colin, I have never heard the DM601 S2's, but have the 601 S3's. They sounded pretty good from what I remember. However, the tweeter was considered by many to be a bit harsh. I just recently owned a set of B&W CM S1's which sounded fantastic. The low end was so good you would think a sub was playing.

The bass coming out of that speaker is extraordinary. Like you, I am not too impressed with the Pioneer AJ speakers at all. The Sony Cores are much better inmho. It is a tough call. Do you have a way to go give them a listen before pulling the trigger? If so, I highly recommend that you do. Best wishes!:):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis