What speakers should I look into upgrading too?

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
Currently I have 3 definitive SM55 speakers left, center, right. 2 definitive Pro monitor 1000's as atmos ceilings. 2 definitive SR-9040 for surround and 2 pro sub 1000's. I have a denon avrx1400h receiver.
I was looking to upgrade the front speakers as I am currently setting a home theater up in another room. With the speakers I have set up I also have 2 definitive pro center 1000's and another sm55 bookshelf as extra speakers. I was looking at some tower speakers but was not sure what would be a significant upgrade. I was thinking of getting definitive BP8's as front left and right and keeping the sm55 as a center. I also have thought to get a definitive center channel (like the cs9040 or older model that would be a good match for the sm55's) and keep the sm55's as front left and right.
Any suggestions on definitive speakers would be great as well as information on how they would compare to my existing speakers.
Thanks,
Kyle Braunlich

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
First order of business would be to upgrade those subwoofers. Def tech make some decent speakers, but their subs leave a lot to be desired.

Outlaw, Hsu, SVS... those are some companies to take a look at first I would say. Hsu probably offers your best bang for buck while still offering quality subwoofage.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
First order of business would be to upgrade those subwoofers. Def tech make some decent speakers, but their subs leave a lot to be desired.

Outlaw, Hsu, SVS... those are some companies to take a look at first I would say. Hsu probably offers your best bang for buck while still offering quality subwoofage.
I know, I know, I know. Everyone says that. I will eventually do that, but besides subs, any reccomendations for speakers?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I know, I know, I know. Everyone says that. I will eventually do that, but besides subs, any reccomendations for speakers?
Subs lol. If you are not 2 channel, or willing to spend on the next level, subs will make your experience much more exciting without upgrading the mains. The front 3 for the next level get expensive quick.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes. I would definitely do the subs first. I tell folks all the time on here, a good clean subwoofer can elevate the entire system and a mediocre subwoofer can really drag it down. My first experience with good subwoofers was a real eye-opener. It sounded like I got a whole system upgrade. My previous subwoofers were distortingbut it was so subtle I didn't realize it until it was gone.

I had the SM55s, and was pretty happy with them. I think if you were to step up to the SM65s (all 3 across the front), that would offer a nice upgrade for your main speakers and center channel and still keep in the Deftech family. With decent subwoofage, you really don't need the benefits of towers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think until you replace those subwoofers, any speaker upgrade will be incremental and you will still be stuck with crappy bass.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Dayton Audio offers a very nice 12" 120 watt powered sub that does a very respectable job for $149.00 post paid.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Love it when folks don't hear what they want so they go to another forum, only to get told the same thing...

There's a reason everyone keeps telling you to upgrade those subs. It's not just for more bass. You need clean, "quiet bass" (a term I just coined, I think...). For example, I went from a pair of 10" subs very similar to yours to a larger, more powerful pair of quality subwoofers and thought they weren't working properly because they didn't seem as loud as the old ones.

What I wasn't hearing was the subtle distortion I'd gotten used to. Suddenly it dawned on me that my speakers sounded cleaner and clearer, and I was noticing things I hadn't heard in my music before. Different textures, more clarity and just overall cleaner and clearer across the whole frequency range. It was like getting new speakers too.

Everyone underestimates what good subwoofage can do for a system until they hear it. I swear I need to just copy paste my sub spiel for these threads, I type it so often. Here's a post from someone who recently upgraded subwoofage who says it made his whole system sound better with some description of how.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
Love it when folks don't hear what they want so they go to another forum, only to get told the same thing...

There's a reason everyone keeps telling you to upgrade those subs. It's not just for more bass. You need clean, "quiet bass" (a term I just coined, I think...). For example, I went from a pair of 10" subs very similar to yours to a larger, more powerful pair of quality subwoofers and thought they weren't working properly because they didn't seem as loud as the old ones.

What I wasn't hearing was the subtle distortion I'd gotten used to. Suddenly it dawned on me that my speakers sounded cleaner and clearer, and I was noticing things I hadn't heard in my music before. Different textures, more clarity and just overall cleaner and clearer across the whole frequency range. It was like getting new speakers too.

Everyone underestimates what good subwoofage can do for a system until they hear it. I swear I need to just copy paste my sub spiel for these threads, I type it so often. Here's a post from someone who recently upgraded subwoofage who says it made his whole system sound better with some description of how.
The thing I am asking is what speakers would be good to upgrade to so I can have more speakers for my other room. Sorry I somehow offended you with my question. Just be sure not to respond to my posts anymore. I wouldn't want you to have to go out of your way to complain to me.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The thing I am asking is what speakers would be good to upgrade to so I can have more speakers for my other room. Sorry I somehow offended you with my question. Just be sure not to respond to my posts anymore. I wouldn't want you to have to go out of your way to complain to me.
Sorry I missed the other room part in your original post. What is your budget

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to know what speakers you'd like. What have you listened to? Budget would also help....

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
I splurged and bought gen5 Monitor Audio Gold 300s for LCR and have been blown away by the difference. I had Triad Silvers and enjoyed them for 15 years but these MAs are in a totally different league. I hear the MA Silvers are also very nice and way less expensive. Just my personal experience. I will be upgrading my subs and AVR within a month or so to take me closer to the heavenly bliss.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry I missed the other room part in your original post. What is your budget
I missed that too. Sorry for the sass @Maximus001. I skimmed your post and made some assumptions.
Those MA Golds are legit good speakers. Definitely a nice step up from the SM55s. Got your sights set on a sub manufacturer yet? How big is your room?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Still haven’t heard what makes DT and the big K sound “good.” Meh. Polk too. :/

There are a lot of great speakers out there.

Too many options to randomly start spouting off brands. Though since it came up... I am a fan of Monitor Audio Silvers. The 500s especially, but even the 300s were quite respectable.

But seriously, if DT is all you wish to play with, then good quality audio will remain elusive.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm just offering some general info on speaker upgrades.

The SM55 is a good speaker...Going from a bk shelf to a true upgraded bk shelf I would expect you to spend 3 to 4 times what the SM55 cost new.

For towers, you will get more Bass & SPL for the money, but better SQ maybe not. A true up grade tower imo will be in the $3k range per pair. As mentioned you will get more bass, but even then your system would be missing low end of high performance subs.

The most economical fix would be to upgrade the subs which will free up your SM55 to provide mid bass and higher frequencies.

Ultimately...the towers with the upgraded subs might be your goal, but the short term I like the SM55 with upgraded subs vs new towers and keeping the same sub.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm just offering some general info on speaker upgrades.

The SM55 is a good speaker...Going from a bk shelf to a true upgraded bk shelf I would expect you to spend 3 to 4 times what the SM55 cost new.

For towers, you will get more Bass & SPL for the money, but better SQ maybe not. A true up grade tower imo will be in the $3k range per pair. As mentioned you will get more bass, but even then your system would be missing low end of high performance subs.

The most economical fix would be to upgrade the subs which will free up your SM55 to provide mid bass and higher frequencies.

Ultimately...the towers with the upgraded subs might be your goal, but the short term I like the SM55 with upgraded subs vs new towers and keeping the same sub.
It seems I'm not the only one who missed the part in his post where he said he's moving the current speakers to a whole other room, lol.

Great advice across-the-board though, as usual. I agree with everything you said.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
It seems I'm not the only one who missed the part in his post where he said he's moving the current speakers to a whole other room, lol.

Great advice across-the-board though, as usual. I agree with everything you said.
That went over my head...I may have merged threads in my head...I've been off for several days and was in the liquor cabinet quite a bit last night....lol

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis