What speaker with 16ohm?

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Wow, I can't think of any speakers on the market today between 12 and 16 ohms. I thought I remember seeing some drivers once rated at 16 ohms on the web somewhere but no complete speakers. I know 16 ohms speakers used to be a bit more popular but not so much today.

Why 12 to 16 ohm? What are they going to be used for? HT, 2 Channel?

Sorry I can't help you more. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Shinerman

Junior Audioholic
i am using a Denon AVR.

read from the manual, if i wanna hook 2 set of speakers for front.. have to get 8 - 16 ohm speaker.. just wondering what speaker comes with that high 16 ohm...

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
8118 said:
i am using a Denon AVR.

read from the manual, if i wanna hook 2 set of speakers for front.. have to get 8 - 16 ohm speaker.. just wondering what speaker comes with that high 16 ohm...

Are you saying you want 4 main speakers for the front plus the center channel? Or, 1 pair ( 2 fronts) plus the center channel?

If you just want 2 mains and a center, don't worry about 16 ohms speakers. I doubt you will find any. Maybe some vintage stuff. The main thing to be careful of is going below 8 ohms. Some speakers are rated at 6 ohms and 4 ohms. 6 ohms should be fine on most receivers but 4 ohms can sometimes stress some receivers.

Shinerman

Junior Audioholic
my denon avr allows me to put 2 sets (4 speakers) for front...1 centre and rear surrond.. for 2 sets of speakers, manual suggest 8 - 16 ohms speaker to avoid machine failure..just wonder any denon user has expereince with 2 sets of front speaker and where to get this "16" ohm...

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
8118 said:
my denon avr allows me to put 2 sets (4 speakers) for front...1 centre and rear surrond.. for 2 sets of speakers, manual suggest 8 - 16 ohms speaker to avoid machine failure..just wonder any denon user has expereince with 2 sets of front speaker and where to get this "16" ohm...

I would just go with 2 mains for now. If you really want 4 mains, then 8 ohms is fine. Your not really going to find 16 ohms speakers anymore. They are extremely rare. Plus, with 4 mains, you have to contend with imaging problems. IMO, it's not worth the hassle. I think you will find that 99% of HT users just use two mains. There is a reason for that.

Save/Take the money and buy 2 better mains. That will give you more benefit than 4 mains, IMO.

Shinerman

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
You bet. Now lets spend some money! What's the budget? :eek:

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
What's your price range is the question? :confused: Some speakers cost as much as a new car. :eek:

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
You can find a decent pair of speakers for 1k.
How large is your room?
What model is your AVR?
Are you in the USA?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If you have a newer Denon 7 channel receiver, why not use all 7 channels? Two fronts, two rears, two rear centers, and a front center? You can't possibly need more sound than that in one room. You can always put the two rear surrounds in front (don't know why you would), hook them up to zone 2 or 3, and play them together. Your sound would suffer though.

Do you have a separate subwoofer, or will you rely on your two mains to supply your bass?

Why type of music do you prefer?

Junior Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
If you have a newer Denon 7 channel receiver, why not use all 7 channels? Two fronts, two rears, two rear centers, and a front center? You can't possibly need more sound than that in one room. You can always put the two rear surrounds in front (don't know why you would), hook them up to zone 2 or 3, and play them together. Your sound would suffer though.

Do you have a separate subwoofer, or will you rely on your two mains to supply your bass?

Why type of music do you prefer?
what do u mean by "put the two rear surrounds in front (don't know why you would)". I got a 10" sub and pair of old front speaker, the front is still doing good, but just thinking to have another pair of speaker since my denon support it. workable? worth to spend?

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
There is no good reason to have more than the single front pair of speakers. I am not talking about the center channel speaker, just the two fronts. If you are not satisfied with the sound of your front speakers you would be happier buying replacements. There are lots of good sounding speakers out there for less than $1000. :cool:

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
8118 said:
what do u mean by "put the two rear surrounds in front (don't know why you would)". I got a 10" sub and pair of old front speaker, the front is still doing good, but just thinking to have another pair of speaker since my denon support it. workable? worth to spend?

There is no need for 4 front mains. Juts because your speaker can support it, does not mean it's the best way.

Some people run two sets of mains with one set being geared toward 2 channel and the other for HT. These people use the different pairs at different times.

Like others and myself have mentioned, adding two additional speakers is not the way to improve sound. It tends to muddle it up. The way to improve sound is the upgrade your two mains.

If you are wanting HT, I would try and get two mains and a center. For under $1k, you might start by auditioning speakers by,

PSB
Athena (awesome deal on the AS-F2 right now if you can find them $400/pr)
Infinity
Polk
Boston Acoustics
MB Quart (for you Zumbo :D )
Klipsch
Mirage
Paradigm
Definitve Technology
Phase Tech
Energy

to name a few. All these companies make good sub $1k speakers. You just need to get out and listen to some. Listen to other people's advise (like mine) to get idea what's out there. Don't and I repeat Don't let anyone tell you one speaker sounds better than another. It's up to your ears.

Shinerman

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Don't look at MB Quart. Your receiver would not be able to run them. :( You would also have a hard time finding them for 1k. :(

Junior Audioholic
zumbo said:
Don't look at MB Quart. Your receiver would not be able to run them. :( You would also have a hard time finding them for 1k. :(
why? then what receiver is able to run them?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
8118 said:
why? then what receiver is able to run them?
Most flagship models. I use a Yamaha RX-V1400 as a pre-pro with an Adcom 7605 external amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis