Votes: 10 10.4%

Votes: 53 55.2%

Votes: 8 8.3%

Votes: 25 26.0%

• Total voters
mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
7.1 here, wasted in the living room but will soon be located in the (now under construction basement) dedicated HT. Argh, the waiting... the waiting...

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I'm a six point one man. My local retailer convinced me that it's far better than 7.1 cos there are no DVDs in 7.1 at all. The most is 6.1. So I listened to him. Bought the speakers. And THEN I read that audioholic guide about how the brain mis-interprets the direction of sounds coming directly from the rear as coming from the front (it's in the audioholics guides). Sigh. Oh well, still sounds mega to me.

cheers,
supervij

R

Red

Audioholic
I'm running 6.1 also. I like the effect of DD-EX and need to find some DTS 6.1 material.

Was watching XXX with Vin Diesel the other night in DD-EX and in the beginning of a guy is approaching a door at an industrial type warehouse when something swung down from behind him and smashed into the wall...the sound coming from behind totally caught me off guard and actually made me jump. My 17 year old son could only say "now that was cool"

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Config

I have a 5.1, 4.1 & 2.0. Just covering the bases.

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic

Although it's wasted since 95% of my movies are 5.1

D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
7.2 all the way! You just can't beat two subs, oops did I say two, I sound like mulester7!

I find that even with most films in 5.1 format, creating simulated 7.1 is unparalleled, not to mention how great 7 channels is for music when having a party, not for personal listening though that's done in 2ch!

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
6.1 here. Odd room shape worked well for this. I can't see bothering to go to 7.1 until I have a good sized HT room, with multiple seating positions/rows. which I don't know if I'll ever have :)

(I think I would of gone 5.1, if it wasn't for a good deal I got on 3 Athena AS-R1 bipole speakers)

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
I'm running 5.1 'cuz I can't squeeze anymore speakers into the den without knocking out walls.

Bryan...we'll see what happens when/if we buy a new house... :cool:

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Right now running 2.2, but am upgrading to 5.2 soon...I hope :D

N

NetGeek

Junior Audioholic
7.2 for now - looks like Crap!

I don't need a wife to tell me two AS-B2's mounted 7 feet on the real wall looks like crap; it's just so out of place and they really look squirley with the small AS-R1's close by for surrounds. It does sounds nice though.

I am going to pull the bi-polar R-1's off the walll and will replace them with B2 monos at head level when the Energy stands come in tomorow, and will put ONE R-1 on the rear wall for a 6.1 system; the R-1's have such a wide soundstage that I don't think two will be necessary. If that does not work I will just drill some more holes in the walls and do the speaker-shuffle thing again, hey it keeps me out of trouble!

Anyone else run a single bi-pole speaker for their 6.1? How did it turn out for you?

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
2.1 and have yet had any real inclination to upgrade past that. I enjoy the stereo presentation much on music and don't yet feel like the surround effects on movies justify it for me. I'd rather invest in higher quality 2ch stuff.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
I actually have a 2.1 config, I love 2ch. music so I have my bookshelf spkrs supplimented by a sub.

I just bought a center channel and buying a new AVR, going to try 3.1 soon!Woohoo! Re: friday night movies!

I am going to 5.1 as soon as my toddlers are old enough and won't knock over the surrounds! Due to the large room dimensions and open space design I don't think it's feasible for me to even do 7.1 (not to mention the WAF!)

When I bought my house, I really thought an open concept design was cool until I got into HT, now I'm paying the price!

Next major purchase: New house! HT friendly of course :D

Last edited:
K

kaseaman

Junior Audioholic
My reciever is set up to run a 7.1 setup, but I dwell in an apartment and this causes me to have to give up the extra 2 speakers. as soon as a move into a house in the next 3 years, its DD 10.2 all the way (if its out yet which it proabably will be).

L

LDanix

Enthusiast
.2?

I see that many of you use a x.2 configuration. What is the advantage to having two subwoofers, besides extra bass and where have you placed each one?

Does anyone know if the next generations of DVD (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) will support 7.1 or 8.1 discrete channels?

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
5.0 for the time being to be 5.1 when the bank account says it's ok :) Since most of what's available is 2.0, 2.1 or 5.1 and space dictates I'm not going any farther than that.

A

arevee

Junior Audioholic
7.1 receiver

7.1 receiver running 5.1. Two bookshelf speakers lying around can help make 7.1.

5.1 itself is an overkill for my living room. Guess I am set for 3 years at least. 7.1 DVDs are a long ways away. LOTR in 6.1 DTS sounds good.

Tempest

Tempest

Junior Audioholic
6.1 Here

supervij said:
I'm a six point one man. My local retailer convinced me that it's far better than 7.1 cos there are no DVDs in 7.1 at all. The most is 6.1. So I listened to him. Bought the speakers. And THEN I read that audioholic guide about how the brain mis-interprets the direction of sounds coming directly from the rear as coming from the front (it's in the audioholics guides). Sigh. Oh well, still sounds mega to me.

cheers,
supervij
I'm also running 6.1 here. I upgraded my center channel (Klipsch) and moved the old one to the back surround position. It's a decent center channel, but it didn't match the front mains (too small). Does anybody think this is a bad idea and if so, why?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis