What size screen? 720p or 1080p?

G

Geek2Me

Audiophyte
First dedicated HT questions that shall continue ;)

Room is 18' x 24' with 11' ceilings. Light is completely controlled.

How far to first row of seating? Will be two rows, second elevated 8".

What size screen should I be looking at installing?

Will 720p carry that size or is 1080P worth the cost at this size?

Read the article on acuity etc. Sorry to say it's great but I gave up rocket science years ago so need help.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
How much is your budget?

If your budget allows I would recommend getting a projector in that situation, especially if it is a dedicated HT. If you did that I would probably go 1080p, again budget allowing, and get a 100inch screen or so.

G

Geek2Me

Audiophyte
Budget

I am looking at projectors only at this point. I can afford to go go 3k for the 1080p but if there is no benefit over the 720p on lets say 106" screen would prefer to save the money for other things. 1080 sounds nice but will I really gain any benefit?

H

Herr D

Junior Audioholic
On a 106" screen you will notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. I checked out a 50" pio and the difference between the 2 HD modes there is neligible.

I would say starting at 60" it's more and more likely you'll be seeing an improvement of 1080p over 720p.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
With screen sizes that large you will notice differences between 720p and 1080p. That being said I would recommend the Epson Home Cinema 1080 projector review here. Its a great projector for the money and visual apex has a pretty good deal on them right now along side Epson's 300 dollar rebate (ends sometime soon so look into that. Its probably one of the best projectors on the market right now especially with cost factored in. Once you add in a screen you will probably be peaking a little over 3k but should be right around the mark.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I am looking at projectors only at this point. I can afford to go go 3k for the 1080p but if there is no benefit over the 720p on lets say 106" screen would prefer to save the money for other things. 1080 sounds nice but will I really gain any benefit?
Don't even think of 720p if you are going front projection and that size screen, in the 100" range. Hi def dvds are in 1080p, why down convert it to 720? And, of course you would be playing DVDs on it, low def and hi-def, right? Certainly hi def is here and it will stay, no matter which format, HD or Bluray ends up. And, universal players that will play both should be more common by christmas.

Plan on about 12ft-14ft for first row.

G

Geek2Me

Audiophyte
Thanks

OK thanks all for the info and links. Made it a bit easier. Ordered the Epson 1080p with 119" screen. Thanks again all.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
OK thanks all for the info and links. Made it a bit easier. Ordered the Epson 1080p with 119" screen. Thanks again all.
That is a pretty large screen. Make sure you mount the projector at its minimum distance to get the most light on screen.
Need good HDMI cable to it and may want to consider component run as well.
With that 11' ceiling you are looking at dropping the projector down so you don't have to invoke keystone adjustments, if it is able. Or, you will have to have the screen pretty high and you or guests will get a sore neck. Your eyes should be at the lower 1/3 of the screen, or so.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis