What should I upgrade next?

D

dhark

Junior Audioholic
So getting the upgrade itch after just upgrading my TV to a LG 55” C1 Oled. Current set up is Denon 4200, Polk monitor 70s and CS2 center channel for LCR and 2 old Cambridge Soundworks surround for my surrounds which have to be placed slightly behind MLP. And my sub is also an old Cambridge Soundworks PS1. Everything sounds ok right now but am thinking of maybe adding 4 Atmos/height speakers or a new sub/subs? What do you think would make the most impactful difference between those 2? This is in our living room so it’s not like a it’s a full blown media room or theater. Room is kinda odd shaped and setup due to built in shelves so my viewing area isn’t ideal for great speaker setups. Room is 20’ L x 12’9” W x 8’8” H. I would love to get a massive sub but just not sure I have the room for it, and again cause of room setup theres not a lot of spots to put it. As far as Atmos speakers I guess they could go directly above L & F on soffit pointed straight ahead at MLP. As for the 2 rear Atmos I was thinking in the corner of the soffits again pointed at MLP. Only problem is with rear Atmos they can’t actually be behind me they would end up being pretty much in line with MLP but out wider than the fronts? Do you think that will work? Another question I have is if I’ve read everything on my receiver is I would need an external amp to power 2 of the speakers correct? Sorry for the long post as I’m kinda getting back into all this stuff and any help is greatly appreciated.
2B23C5D7-CC94-4205-A0C5-EB781F62C89D.jpeg2F4B07D3-2378-4F96-B30E-78457A3E19B4.jpeg38CFEB11-7811-413E-A7EF-6CC8561204C7.jpegA3425A86-7764-4846-AC8D-04E9A6D4FF9F.jpeg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I would replace the subwoofers before going ATMOS as it will provide a bigger impact to the over all sound then ATMOS speakers. One will get better bass response across the listener position by employing multiple subs so 2 x 10" subs will best 1 x 12" subs or 2 x 12" subs will best 1 x15" sub. I would look for 2 x12" subs by Rythmik, SVS, HSU, Outlaw, Monolith etc

D

dhark

Junior Audioholic
I would replace the subwoofers before going ATMOS as it will provide a bigger impact to the over all sound then ATMOS speakers. One will get better bass response across the listener position by employing multiple subs so 2 x 10" subs will best 1 x 12" subs or 2 x 12" subs will best 1 x15" sub. I would look for 2 x12" subs by Rythmik, SVS, HSU, Outlaw, Monolith etc
I know 2 subs are preferred but I’m not sure I have the room. I could maybe keep 1 where it is now and put one in the corner where the couches come together? But does it matter that the couches would be in the way or does that not really matter with subs? I think I would like to keep the budget under $2k so if I go with 2 they would have to be in the $1k and under range. Also if I can’t get both at the same time could I use the the old Cambridge Soundworks sub as the second sub for the time being? How big a deal is having 2 different subs?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Get that center up off of the surface of the stand. Like 1-2". Right now, ~half the sound is reflecting off the cabinet and going straight up. Pull the 70s out from the wall a few inches. The Cambridge subs weren't bad, but you can definitely do better. That Cambridge sub I think was supposed to come as a pair originally as well. 1 big sub would be fine in this room and the room looks to be a good shape for one to work well, but it is likely to be about the size of that Cambridge and 2x as deep. So, 2 smaller ones might be easier to fit in.

As long as you don't block the driver fully (unless you got a down firing model), it would not matter if you put the sub next to the couch, however there's no saying that is a good place to actually put it in that room. An SVS cylinder sub has a small footprint, but is tall, it might fit the bill here. https://www.svsound.com/products/pc-2000-pro

D

dhark

Junior Audioholic
Get that center up off of the surface of the stand. Like 1-2". Right now, ~half the sound is reflecting off the cabinet and going straight up. Pull the 70s out from the wall a few inches. The Cambridge subs weren't bad, but you can definitely do better. That Cambridge sub I think was supposed to come as a pair originally as well. 1 big sub would be fine in this room and the room looks to be a good shape for one to work well, but it is likely to be about the size of that Cambridge and 2x as deep. So, 2 smaller ones might be easier to fit in.

As long as you don't block the driver fully (unless you got a down firing model), it would not matter if you put the sub next to the couch, however there's no saying that is a good place to actually put it in that room. An SVS cylinder sub has a small footprint, but is tall, it might fit the bill here. https://www.svsound.com/products/pc-2000-pro
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I’ll make a slightly upward sloped riser for the center to raise it as you suggested, don’t think I can pull it forward to the edge that would be to far forward of tv and you would see the back and wires, plus I think some people would hit it as you pass by the stand as it’s kinda tight. Which also is a problem with pulling the Polks 70 out further, it’s already a super narrow spot in between the loveseat and the corner of the stand as you enter the room from kitchen unfortunately.

I do like the small footprint of the PC 2000 and was originally thinking that would be a great option too. I just don’t see many people talking about or using them as much as the “regular” subs? Are there any cons to the cylinder subs or down firing vs front firing? I have hardwood floors FYI if the helps or hurts?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW what some place under the center to aim/tilt it up a bit are rubber door wedges

Most of the complaints I see against the PC models are that they just don't aesthetically work for folk. All the comments I've seen from actual owners tend to be quite positive.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW what some place under the center to aim/tilt it up a bit are rubber door wedges

Most of the complaints I see against the PC models are that they just don't aesthetically work for folk. All the comments I've seen from actual owners tend to be quite positive.
I used to have a large cylinder sub. You don't really notice it yourself once you get used to it, but everyone that comes over asks what it is lol. Other than it standing out a bit, there's no real cons to them performance wise. You can put a screen or other various decorations to hide it too. Low bass wavelengths are longer than nearly everyone's room usually, so bass is mostly non-directional.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW 2/3 of the subs in my main system are cylinders. As J said, they kinda disappear in the room. My mains are about the same size so that helps. As far as performance they’re identical, and actually the PC’s have .5hz deeper extension. Not useful practically speaking, but still…

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
If you want to have 4 atmos speakers then they need to be both in front and behind the listening position ideally 45 degrees. For this situation only 2 atmos speakers is what some people might suggest.

I would upgrade the subwoofer first as what others mentioned then then center and finally the rest of the speakers.

D

dhark

Junior Audioholic
If you want to have 4 atmos speakers then they need to be both in front and behind the listening position ideally 45 degrees. For this situation only 2 atmos speakers is what some people might suggest.

I would upgrade the subwoofer first as what others mentioned then then center and finally the rest of the speakers.
You think my center is a weak spot? I’m up for suggestion?

D

dhark

Junior Audioholic
So been researching subs and I keep coming back to SVS PB/PC 2000 pro or HSU VTF 3 or 15h. I think the Monoliths are just too big and heavy but feel free to change my mind if you think there’s better options for the money.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They're all good sub choices, and big and heavy just comes with the sub game to an extent....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
AND! Once they’re in place, it doesn’t matter how heavy they are! Lol
Altho moving them around initially or even later for other reasons takes perhaps a bit of planning...and furniture sliders or similar could help.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Altho moving them around initially or even later for other reasons takes perhaps a bit of planning...and furniture sliders or similar could help.
Yep. Or a friend or neighbor etc

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis