What receiver for atmos 5.1.4?

• Thread starter cameron paterson
  • Start date
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I want a receiver that has 2 sets of height speakers so I can do 5.1.4 dolby atmos. Do all 9.2 receivers have 5.1.4 dolby atmos? Any help would be great!

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Short answer, pretty much Yes. Denon 4400H (£879) and up, Marantz 6012 (£700) and up, Yamaha 2070 (£979) and up, Pioneer VSX LX503 (£999) and up, Onkyo Tx RZ739 (£899) and up.

There are newer more recent models for the Denon, Marantz and Yamaha. However these models will still do 5.2.4 configurations. The older Pioneer 502 only had 7 amps, but they may have some other models available. Anything from the last couple of years with 9 amps will most likely do as you wish. :)Models lower than those listed like the Denon 3400H, Marantz 5012, Yamaha 1070 would only have 7 amps so anything above 5.2.2 would need an additional stereo amp. They may also not be able to do 7.2.4 configurations.

So depending upon the budget you should find something in 500-1000 range able to do it. The 9.2 amp will also likely do 7.2.4 configurations with an additional stereo amp.

If you hold off a couple of weeks then Black Friday/Cyber Monday may help further regarding price. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Amazon (USA).

Denon X4400 $900.
Yamaha RX-A2070 $1148 ($248 more than Denon).

Denon usually gets bigger sales, has Audyssey XT32 Auto Room Correction, some people believe Audyssey EQ is better than Yamaha YPAO EQ.

Yamaha usually more reliable than Denon and better HDMI compatibility.

For guys who don't care about EQ and feels reliability is salient, then Yamaha is a better choice.

For guys who care about Room EQ, I think Audyssey is better than YPAO. Denon is also less expensive than Yamaha because of sales. Denon reliability record is not as great as Yamaha (#1 reliability record overall). HDMI compatibility of Denon also not as good as Yamaha.

1. If Room EQ is a must, then get Denon. If not then go to #2.
2. If lower Price ($248 less) is salient, then get Denon. If not then go to #3.
3. If Reliability and HDMI Compatibility is salient, then get Yamaha.

In Direct or "STRAIGHT" modes, the Denon and Yamaha are equal in sound quality.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Denon reliability record is not as great as Yamaha (#1 reliability record overall). HDMI compatibility of Denon also not as good as Yamaha.
Is this an overall opinion from electronic retailers based on customer returns or is this information available publicly using objective testing?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is this an overall opinion from electronic retailers or is this information available publicly using objective testing?
@M Code gave us some industrial inside info on repair records of AVRs. So this is based on actual numbers of units being repaired. But I don't know the exact/specific info. IOW, I think this is based on total numbers of AVRs being repaired for recent years.

It doesn't look at specific model numbers (like high-end models vs low-end or models made in Japan vs Vietnam, etc.).

From what M Code posted, I got 2 things:

1. Yamaha has the #1 Reliability overall.
2. Yamaha has the #1 HDMI-Compatibility overall (of course, HDMI-compatibility from Sony TV + Sony AVR + Sony XBOX would be difficult to beat).

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
@M Code gave us some industrial inside info on repair records of AVRs. So this is based on actual numbers of units being repaired. But I don't know the exact/specific info. IOW, I think this is based on total numbers of AVRs being repaired for recent years.

It doesn't look at specific model numbers (like high-end models vs low-end or models made in Japan vs Vietnam, etc.).

From what M Code posted, I got 2 things:

1. Yamaha has the #1 Reliability overall.
2. Yamaha has the #1 HDMI-Compatibility overall (of course, HDMI-compatibility from Sony TV + Sony AVR + Sony XBOX would be difficult to beat).
I own the Denon AVR-X4400H. So far, so good. It's been quirky at times, but no major issues yet. I'm completely open to Yamaha as an alternative choice next time I purchase, but hopefully that won't be for a while.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I own the Denon AVR-X4400H. So far, so good. It's been quirky at times, but no major issues yet. I'm completely open to Yamaha as an alternative choice next time I purchase, but hopefully that won't be for a while.
One thing I've learned - hope you don't have to worry about your AVR being defective, but good to keep your options open. :D

I've given Denon a 10YR trial and plenty of my money.

Now it's Yamaha's turn. Will see. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I want a receiver that has 2 sets of height speakers so I can do 5.1.4 dolby atmos. Do all 9.2 receivers have 5.1.4 dolby atmos? Any help would be great!
As mentioned, the RX-A2070, AVR-X4400H are two popular ones that can do it, and you want to try 7.1.4 and prefer Audyssey, then go for the Denon. Okay, Yamaha may be better because of the allegely better reliability as cited by ADTG (originated by M Code).

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
So what is the difference between the Denon AVR-X4300H and the Denon AVR-X4300H? Would it be smart to buy the older version?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So what is the difference between the Denon AVR-X4300H and the Denon AVR-X4300H? Would it be smart to buy the older version?
The 4400 has eARC and Auro3D other than that, there are a few other very minor differences.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
eArc allows for Atmos/Dts:X on the audio return from a TV or projector. There are not any Tvs capable as yet, more a next year thing. Auro3D is just another format similar to Atmos and Dts:X. The Auro up mixer is suppose to do nice things with Music. It basically has a 3rd layer, the Voice of God, a single top speaker above everything else. There are extremely few discs with this format and appear to be from Germany and Japan for the most part.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Ok cool thanks for all the info. I want to go with the 4400 I am thinking.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis