What material to soundproof doorway?

G

Gareth55

Enthusiast
HI - I have an open doorway at the front right of my theater that leads to the laundry room. It is an older house and the wall is quite thin and right now I have a black curtain to cover it as the whole front of the room and sides are black. The wall is not thick enough to put a door and I wa wondering if I should perhaps just get two layers of drywall to help keep the sound in. Does anyone have a recommendation. This doesn't have to look great as I will fully finish the basement at a later time and the laundry room on the other side is not finished. Thanks

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Solid core doors help with weather stripping all 4 sides. Or double doors, one behind the other but doubt you have the jamb space.

Mike V

Mike V

Junior Audioholic
HI - I have an open doorway at the front right of my theater that leads to the laundry room. It is an older house and the wall is quite thin and right now I have a black curtain to cover it as the whole front of the room and sides are black. The wall is not thick enough to put a door and I wa wondering if I should perhaps just get two layers of drywall to help keep the sound in. Does anyone have a recommendation. This doesn't have to look great as I will fully finish the basement at a later time and the laundry room on the other side is not finished. Thanks
A musician friend of mine suggested using a heavy duty sound blanket as curtains to seal off my game room when I turn it into a music listening room. Cheap, and blocks sound better than doors.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Even if the walls are thin, you can still install a door. Just trim it accordingly with jam extension on the utility side or box in the casing on the side that matters the least, or even split the difference. Another option would be a sliding door with the track above the opening.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Even if the walls are thin, you can still install a door. Just trim it accordingly with jam extension on the utility side or box in the casing on the side that matters the least, or even split the difference. Another option would be a sliding door with the track above the opening.
That slider would have too much airspace passage for the lows to get through.
I have a guest bedroom across the theater and the weather strips helped a lot. Before, the lows would just dance through the door with a minimal clearance for carpet. I even had to install and auto gap filling slider down on the bottom of that door to make it work.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That slider would have too much airspace passage for the lows to get through.
I have a guest bedroom across the theater and the weather strips helped a lot. Before, the lows would just dance through the door with a minimal clearance for carpet. I even had to install and auto gap filling slider down on the bottom of that door to make it work.
What would you say options would be for a double door into the theater? That's what I'm dealing with right now. The hollow cores don't do a thing.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

What would you say options would be for a double door into the theater? That's what I'm dealing with right now. The hollow cores don't do a thing.
That hollowcore is like a drum. ;)

What I mean by a double door is one behind the other.
Solid core, 1 3/4" if possible. If the rest of your doors have raised panels, I'd have it on top of that 1 3/4"

I would weather seal on all 4 sides like an outside door. Door handles on opposite sides, reduces jamb width, and one swings into the theater, the other to the other direction, of course.
Then how good is that wall next to the door. My bedroom wall where I did just 1 door is
fully insulated.

Draw up some cross section to see how wide you'd need. My rough sketch is a 6 1/2" jamb with 3" between doors but that depends on the handle depth.
Double door.jpg

Attachments

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That hollowcore is like a drum. ;)

What I mean by a double door is one behind the other.
Solid core, 1 3/4" if possible. If the rest of your doors have raised panels, I'd have it on top of that 1 3/4"

I would weather seal on all 4 sides like an outside door. Door handles on opposite sides, reduces jamb width, and one swings into the theater, the other to the other direction, of course.
Then how good is that wall next to the door. My bedroom wall where I did just 1 door is
fully insulated.

Draw up some cross section to see how wide you'd need. My rough sketch is a 6 1/2" jamb with 3" between doors but that depends on the handle depth.View attachment 22465
The way they put them in is stupid. In my last house the doors were easy to seal, these will have to be totally replaced. I've found some outdoor solid core that should work, but I'm afraid the opening isn't big enough. It's big enough, but I'll measure some stuff and see what I find out.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

The way they put them in is stupid. In my last house the doors were easy to seal, these will have to be totally replaced. I've found some outdoor solid core that should work, but I'm afraid the opening isn't big enough. It's big enough, but I'll measure some stuff and see what I find out.
How much difference? A 2" difference may be duable by cutting an 1" off either side.
And, since it is solid core, it shouldn't be a problem for solid wood for the hinge and door handle.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
How much difference? A 2" difference may be duable by cutting an 1" off either side.
And, since it is solid core, it shouldn't be a problem for solid wood for the hinge and door handle.
I'll have to see. I'll reply once I find the door online again.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I'm not sure what this is! Can you link an example?
Thanks!
You are in luck. I found the device. You cut an appropriate slot on the bottom of the door and slide this in there. Usually comes with a metal tap attached to the jamb where the screw hits to trigger the closing.
Not a 100% seal all the time but...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009UWK98M/ref=asc_df_B009UWK98M5199012/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B009UWK98M&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194831993644&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9495311973495885425&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031895&hvtargid=pla-314005158414

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis