What kind of wire is this?

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
What kind of wire is this? One strand is copper and the other is silver color. I guess aluminum? I got it at home depot since it's supposed to be somewhat flat wire to run underneath a carpet. I need 1 wire to run underneath a carpet from the front of the room to the back, and I live in an apartment so I can't run wires through the wall. And I didn't want it too round to create a bump under my area rug, then part of it goes across my wood floor where I walk so I don't want to trip over a big wire. Should I toss it though, if it is aluminum? Can someone recommend a better wire I could get that can be run under a carpet and is somewhat flat?

20190823_181210.jpg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
No, both are copper. One side has a coating so you can keep track of polarity.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just one wire tinned so you can tell them apart so you can hook your speakers up in phase. Sometimes there's a physical difference in the casing (a ridge vs smooth) to help out, too. I wouldn't worry about it.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
I see. Yea, I like that it's easy to tell the wires apart. Glad it's still copper. I guess I will keep it then.

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
How can you be sure it's tinned copper. Seems unlikely for inexpensive wire. I suspect it's aluminum. Monoprice makes inexpensive flat speaker wire from Amazon.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How can you be sure it's tinned copper. Seems unlikely for inexpensive wire. I suspect it's aluminum. Monoprice makes inexpensive flat speaker wire from Amazon.
I'm not positive as there's not much in the way of specifics to go by here. But between experience and the pic I'm not thinking they made a strand of aluminum vs copper....but you could cut into it and see perhaps? Post a pic if you do....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
No, it's not aluminum coating, as aluminum would be very susceptible to galvanic corrosion in contact with copper,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
By the way, when you say "tinned" it means coated with tin.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
do they even make Aluminum speaker wire?
Yes, it's Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA). You can find it on Amazon and Monoprice also sells some. However, Oxygen Free Copper is so cheap that I don't recommend the CCA.

highfigh

highfigh

That's not 'flatter', to be run under carpet, either- it's what has been called 'lamp cord' and is the kind of wire that was commonly used for speaker connection until SOMEbody decided that everyone needed something ridiculous and then, the lemmings bred with a ferocity unknown to mankind.

But, I digress.....

highfigh

highfigh

It's tinned Copper- all reasonably priced silver-colored wire that doesn't state that it's Aluminum is tinned, to make it easy to identify and it has been for decades.

BTW- 'tinned' could be lead, or tin- when sheet metal is soldered (roofing, etc) to make a sealed joint, it's called 'tinning'.

Tinning also helps the copper withstand humidity without corrosion, in some applications (outdoor or marine environments)-

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
It's flat in that the wires are side by side and not twisted pairs like most wire. It's flatter than a standard twisted pair of similar gauge. The package specifially said it was flat wire for running under carpet. In any case, now that I have my Salk speakers they sound fantastic with these wires, so I've decided to keep them, I don't care about getting new wire anymore.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's flat in that the wires are side by side and not twisted pairs like most wire. It's flatter than a standard twisted pair of similar gauge. The package specifially said it was flat wire for running under carpet. In any case, now that I have my Salk speakers they sound fantastic with these wires, so I've decided to keep them, I don't care about getting new wire anymore.
Little speaker wire is twisted outside of Kimber (nor is it necessary even then). There is very flat speaker wire for a lower profile under the carpet like this, tho https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11935

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis