What It Means To Be An Audiophile

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
I think you are still getting too caught up on cost, while it has nothing to do with it. Don't get me wrong snake oil is snake oil, I personally never seen a piece of iron in a device {what brand was that?} but if the purchaser preferred the sound of that unit, be it placebo or performance, than so be it...
I agree that when it gets down to it, anyone's free to enjoy whatever it is that they've spent money on. However, I still believe that there's a clear separation between a real difference, and a placebo effect. Should we as audio enthusiasts essentially advocate a placebo effect? And if so, at what point does it become absurd/ridiculous?

I have seen comments from people who actually are involved in real audio science (either educated and do research or who actually design and build devices - and I don't mean the "cable lifts" kind of stuff) who kind of smirk at so much of what this hobby of sorts generates. Again, at what point does all of it become absurd or ridiculous, and should we advocate the placebo effect?

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
My main love in all of this is the music. Good equipment is the way to get to the music, but when the pursuit of the equipment becomes the real interest and perspective on reality gets lost on six figure stereo systems, that's what loses me.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My main love in all of this is the music. Good equipment is the way to get to the music, but when the pursuit of the equipment becomes the real interest and perspective on reality gets lost on six figure stereo systems, that's what loses me.
I could see spending 6 figures, depending on what the goals of the system are and what that includes. If we're talking about a purpose built room, speakers, electronics, treatments, etc and if you've got the money and/or it's done over a period of time, I'm in. If it's on exotic cables and other nonsense, I'm out.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I'm getting ready to fix up one of my rooms for a 2 channel music system. I don't know how crazy I'm going to get. I mainly plan to repurpose some gear that I already own (Outlaw 2150 stereo receiver, PSB Imagine B bookshelf speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Cambridge audio dacmagic plus) to a 2d bedroom which will be set up for music only. I haven't decided what else I'm going to do but certainly I'll think about room acoustics. I can't see myself investing heavily into cables but I may buy some blue jean cables.

One of the funnier pieces of advice I've read on the web (and unfortunately true when you care about how music sounds) is that everything matters including the placebos . . .

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
Thanks for the article Stanton!

I can't say I'm an Audiophile yet. I have several hobbies that keep me from focusing entirely on audio. Maybe I'm an "Audiohobbiest".

I find my love for high performance, true sounding audio is very similar to my love of high performance motorsports. I never seem to be satisfied. Always looking for perfection. If it goes fast, it can go faster. Get out the check book. If it sounds good, it can sound better. Better always comes with a price tag. Spend some quality time tuning the system. I really don't mind though. I work hard and play hard. There is no shame investing in something you love. The difference is, my wife and I both share the enjoyment of a nice sounding system. The hot rods not so much. She never once asked me to change the cam timing to get more torque. Lol.
It is not just the "new toy" thing either. I really enjoy learning too. It's a great hobby!

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
- Bump

My system:

Pioneer PDP-5020FD
Yamaha RX-V3800
Samsung BD-F5700 Blu-ray Player
Sony - PS3
Definitive Technology BP7006 Mains
Definitive Technology CS-8060 HD Center
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 Surround
Power Sound Audio XS 15 Subwoofer

Latest Movies:

Rush - Time Machine
The Hobbit

Latest Music:

Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen and Shady Ladies
Avenge Sevenfold - Hail to the King
Chevelle - Favorite Hits

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My system still keeps on impressing me with the only upgrade in the last two years being a sub (2 monthes ago) and a turntable (lost the previous one in a flood) . I only concentrate now on aquiring new music. :)

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Thanks for the article Stanton!

I can't say I'm an Audiophile yet. I have several hobbies that keep me from focusing entirely on audio. Maybe I'm an "Audiohobbiest".
Thanks: I'm glad you enjoyed it! I may not have the most up-to-date, high-end gear, but I like the way it sounds and seems to be "built to last" :)

chateaubriand

chateaubriand

Audiophyte
Audiophiles are hackers are sleuths are detectives are renaissance are swept-up by the sublime - appreciative and demanding with a tolerance idiosyncratic to them, only. I am among them, as are any with an argument or a supposition to chase down. We eat the fine chocolate because we have tried it; what fool would go back? You never go back.

It's a level of satisfaction, is all. It's a desire to chase the satisfaction and be satisfied only upon such time as it is attained. In this endeavor our ears are typically long shot by that time anyway but it makes for a good life; having the eye and ear to match the heart.

Be one? You are one. You have asked a question therefore you remain unsatisfied about a thing. You are an audiophile. We are all audiophiles. Some of us chase it down and some of us could care less.

Rock on.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Audiophiles are hackers are sleuths are detectives are renaissance are swept-up by the sublime - appreciative and demanding with a tolerance idiosyncratic to them, only. I am among them, as are any with an argument or a supposition to chase down. We eat the fine chocolate because we have tried it; what fool would go back? You never go back.

It's a level of satisfaction, is all. It's a desire to chase the satisfaction and be satisfied only upon such time as it is attained. In this endeavor our ears are typically long shot by that time anyway but it makes for a good life; having the eye and ear to match the heart.

Be one? You are one. You have asked a question therefore you remain unsatisfied about a thing. You are an audiophile. We are all audiophiles. Some of us chase it down and some of us could care less.

Rock on.
What the ...? :confused:

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

I could see spending 6 figures, depending on what the goals of the system are and what that includes. If we're talking about a purpose built room, speakers, electronics, treatments, etc and if you've got the money and/or it's done over a period of time, I'm in. If it's on exotic cables and other nonsense, I'm out.
I could only spend that much if I were super-rich; the sound would have to be a routine purchase like the new Ferrari when the old one gets dirty.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

It's a level of satisfaction, is all. It's a desire to chase the satisfaction and be satisfied only upon such time as it is attained. In this endeavor our ears are typically long shot by that time anyway but it makes for a good life; having the eye and ear to match the heart. Rock on.
I have some real estate to sell you....just don't look down at that swamp.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
After reading this thread through I think I may fall somewhat short of the audiophile title, : (
However , I know for sure I'm an Audioholic and its pretty kewl, that is all.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
After reading this thread through I think I may fall somewhat short of the audiophile title, : (
However , I know for sure I'm an Audioholic and its pretty kewl, that is all.
It is more a question of how one chooses to define the term. The most authoritative dictionary defines the term as:

a hi-fi enthusiast.​

Both for the U.S. version:

audiophile: definition of audiophile in Oxford dictionary - American English (US)

And the British and "international" English:

audiophile: definition of audiophile in Oxford dictionary - British & World English (US)

If we look at the roots of the word, we get literally a lover of sound (audiophile = audio [sound] + phile {philos} [love]).

I have always thought of the term "audiophile" as indicating a person who spends a significant amount of money on a system who strives to get the best performance out of it. (If they don't do these things, do they really love sound?) How much is "significant" is dependent upon the financial situation of the purchaser, and the second part means that they take some effort to set it up properly rather than just plop it in a room carelessly.

Whenever I move, one of the first things I consider is where I will place my main sound system(s) so that it will sound good, and arrange things according to that. That means I try to get the most out of my system(s), and I do have a significant amount of money in my system (though, since I am not the richest man, my systems are less expensive than some).

Occasionally, one thinks of the term as a derogatory term, as some people try to get the most out of their systems through means that are no more sensible than voodoo. But that is not really the meaning of the term; how sensible the person is has no real bearing on whether the person tries to get the most out of their system or not.

Stanton

Stanton

Whenever I move, one of the first things I consider is where I will place my main sound system(s) so that it will sound good, and arrange things according to that. That means I try to get the most out of my system(s), and I do have a significant amount of money in my system (though, since I am not the richest man, my systems are less expensive than some).
I feel much better: at least I'm not the only one who did this!

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

I feel much better: at least I'm not the only one who did this!
Why would you feel bad about trying to get the most out of your gear? I would feel bad about spending thousands of dollars on gear and then not bothering to properly utilize it, as that would be wasteful.

When I move and think about where the sound system(s) goes, it is a major factor in the arrangement of the furniture, but it is not the sole factor. Where the windows and doors are matter, too, as I want to be able to conveniently use the room. But there really isn't much point in spending a lot of money on good gear if one is going to set it up so that it does not sound very good. One might as well just go for some cheap gear instead if one isn't going to bother trying to get the best sound one can from one's gear.

Stanton

Stanton

Looks like I'm the proud owner of a Nakamichi cassette deck (again): model "Cassette Deck 1" completely refurbished. It holds the distinction of being the only cassette deck (along with a later DR-1 model update) to have a MANUAL (playback) azimuth adjust; that means tapes made on other decks should sound better since the high frequency Dolby NR will track better. This will also be the first 3-head cassette deck I've ever owned as they were just to expensive back in the day. Guess I'll have to update my equipment rack picture again!

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis