What is Wow & Flutter?

M

musician

Audiophyte
Hi,
Can anyone please explain me what exactly is WOW & FLUTTER which is mentioned in the specs sheet of all leading Turntable brands?Is it something to do with the rumbling noise or they are completely different.
Please enlighten us.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I always though "wow" and "flutter" were used in subwoofer and speaker reviews. As far as turntables, you're on your own (until someone defines them).

SheepStar

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Wow and flutter are changes in pitch, caused by changes in speed of the physical media - tape or lp. Flutter is high pitched, wow is low.

You guys haven't been spending enough time with your reel to reels lately :)

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Wow, flutter, and rumble

musician said:
Hi,
Can anyone please explain me what exactly is WOW & FLUTTER which is mentioned in the specs sheet of all leading Turntable brands?Is it something to do with the rumbling noise or they are completely different.
Please enlighten us.
Corey has already mentioned what wow and flutter are. Rumble is a totally different animal. It is the noise generated by your turntable that is picked up by the phono cartridge. The more sensitive your system is (and the cheaper your turntable), the more likely you are to hear rumble. This is very low frequency noise generated by your turntable. Old receivers had a control called a rumble filter to take care of this noise.

Analog audio is fraught with many problems that no longer exist in digital playback. Even a warped record generates nasty sound that can be picked up by a turntable cartridge. The more expensive your audio system (and therefore more sensitive) the more likely you will be able to hear problems generated by analog records/turntables.

Last edited:
race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
If i remember right, WOW! is what I said when I saw just how really big and heavy my SVS sub was and FLUTTER was what my heart was doing after my buddy and I carried it up a flight of stairs.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Clint DeBoer said:
You're showing your young age, lol.
The only reason I don't have turntables hooked up is because none of the bands I listen to make records.

You're showing your old age, lol.

SheepStar

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Some of us have been around long enough to have recordings that will never be issued on CD. We listen to the old stuff and the new stuff!:D

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
The only reason I don't have turntables hooked up is because none of the bands I listen to make records.

SheepStar
So I guess you don't listen to Belle & Sebastian or Bright Eyes-both frequently release vinyl versions of their work along with the CD version. In fact, most of the Saddle Creek artists (ie, Bright Eyes) release their work on vinyl. I didn't know either until my son started bringing them home from record stores and concerts and needed me to help him play them. There are many other new artists that also release on vinyl, so it's not just the old farts like me that can enjoy using a turntable.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
If they are old enough, I ask them if they remember how bad 8-Track tapes sounded and how the pitch changed on them when they played, and if they say yes, I say, "Well, that's a really bad case of wow, likw wowwwowww!" They get it instantly. Younger guys go, "8-track??" My usual reply to that is, "You really should be happy you never had to hear them"

F

fredejo

Junior Audioholic
Sheep said:

SheepStar

im in florida & most clubs play a mix of records & mp3's, most bands are on records, no matter how underground, white labels...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
fredejo said:
im in florida & most clubs play a mix of records & mp3's, most bands are on records, no matter how underground, white labels...
None of the bands I listen to have records out.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis