What is the Possibility that Big Screen Monitors be Released?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You have a home theater system and you don't want a smart TV set. At present, you're paying for that ARC feature, upscaling hardware and other gadgets which are not necessary to enjoy a UHD 4K or a Blu-ray film.

That would make screens of 65" or bigger more affordable, but the problem is that present TV manufacturers make more money selling smart TV sets, and wouldn't be interested in releasing such products.

Anyone has an opinion on this?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All I need is a monitor, but the pricing last I checked was simply higher than the feature-laden smart tvs....like an avr vs simpler audio gear to an extent.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Sometimes, it makes economic sense to buy an excellent performing mass market consumer product with features you don't need and not use them rather than pay more for a limited production model targeted for a different market with less features that performs equally well which simply costs more for no valid reason.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You have a home theater system and you don't want a smart TV set. At present, you're paying for that ARC feature, upscaling hardware and other gadgets which are not necessary to enjoy a UHD 4K or a Blu-ray film.

That would make screens of 65" or bigger more affordable, but the problem is that present TV manufacturers make more money selling smart TV sets, and wouldn't be interested in releasing such products.

Anyone has an opinion on this?
Vizio has this (had?). It was one of the lower end lines, look it up, I think it may have been the "M" series.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Sometimes, it makes economic sense to buy an excellent performing mass market consumer product with features you don't need and not use them rather than pay more for a limited production model targeted for a different market with less features that performs equally well which simply costs more for no valid reason.
This is exactly it. They make TONS of "smart" TVs and very few high end monitors. Most of those monitors would be geared toward video production so accuracy would be the most important thing (which is good), but like Mark said, the production runs would be so small that their price would pretty much always be higher.

Check this out for a comparison.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Vizio has this (had?). It was one of the lower end lines, look it up, I think it may have been the "M" series.
Vizio's M Series 65" Display was considered by CNET last year to have better overall picture quality than anything else at its price. That model doesn't seem to be available at every store in North America and possibly hard to get in Canada, but I'd be interested in it next year if the price is decent.
I know that Costco and BestBuy sell the brand in Canada but I'm not ready to check that out at present.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Manufacturers respond to demand, whether real or perceived, so they put every damn bell and whistle on/in their TVs. Personally, I would like a monitor without speakers, but as someone who cut the cable, I need a tuner, which means I need some kind of audio output and since I don't currently use an AVR, I need more than one HMDI input. The number of people who would buy a pure monitor is too small for them to justify the cost to manufacture them, IMO.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I love that people think that removing a feature, which is built into a micro chip, would REDUCE cost.

Yes, it's about demand. Consumers wanted 3D for a while, so it was included on chip sets. For some reason people thought it increased the cost of the display because of this. Worse, it doesn't add to the cost of the display, but they removed the feature anyway.

Same is the case with Smart functionality and the rest. Some of the cheapest TVs out there come from TCL, yet the built-in Roku functionality is some of the best on the market. How much is the least expensive Roku (top tier quality product) - $30. It includes the case for the Roku, outputs, and a remote control to make it work. Probably a power supply as well. Remove the power, the case, the remote, and tuck it into a TV and what is the cost to add this? $10? $5?

It's just not a real cost addition when you get 10,000+ products into the market. Not when you lose half your sales if you fail to put it into the TV from the start.

Want to avoid it? You can get professional displays which don't have smart functionality. They also tend to NOT look as good, but hey, you may save a few bucks.

Try the LG 55UU340C. It's only about $800 online. What a deal (roll eyes).

In comparison, a 60" Hisense Roku TV is under $350 at Walmart.

It's not the 'smart' functionality that adds to the cost.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
My Sony has the worst smart apps I gotta clear cache and unplug it once a month or more . So these tv will be a non smart model for cheaper???

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
My Sony has the worst smart apps I gotta clear cache and unplug it once a month or more . So these tv will be a non smart model for cheaper???
Read what I wrote just prior to your post please.

Removing 'smart' functionality does NOT make a TV cheaper. Adding them does not make it more expensive. If you hate your 'smart' apps, then get a Roku and call it a day.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Read what I wrote just prior to your post please.

Removing 'smart' functionality does NOT make a TV cheaper. Adding them does not make it more expensive. If you hate your 'smart' apps, then get a Roku and call it a day.
Profit is the main driver of new technology not picture quality , get a projector or a older hdtv .
Id say no brand is going to make a non smart tv those days are over / if you want a monitor buy something vintage I’ve seen up to 40” old pc monitor for sale on letgo .

Tesla spoken to them

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall

Tesla spoken to them
You are posting questions already answered to old topics, asking same questions again and again and posting dumb suggestions as well. Trolling much?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You are posting questions already answered to old topics, asking same questions again and again and posting dumb suggestions as well. Trolling much?
Do you think they will actually release monitors ?

Tesla spoken to them

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My last TV was a monitor. I saved a lot of money on it! Not because it was stripped down, but because Samsung was getting their ass handed to them by customer returns,
I suspect most customers realized it was not a smart TV, but the problem was it did not have any outputs and most people assumed they could connect a soundbar to it. With an AVR, I was sending the AV signal to the receiver first, so generally not a problem for me. However, for OTA local TV broadcasts, I did have to use the built-in TV speakers since AVR's do not have TV tuners. I can live with that since the only local stuff I ever watch is news.
In any case, I got a nice screen for over 50% off MSRP and Samsung was glad to be done with them!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Commercial units are available, and some at very good prices.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Commercial units are available, and some at very good prices.

thats a really espensive tv but not for big size 86@“.

MAybe is you got al Capone or big meech , money that monitor is over 5grand wow ..
what’s it cost $100 to make in southern China ?

These tv are like double msrp cost lol .
Tesla spoken to them

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
thats a really espensive tv but not for big size 86@“.

MAybe is you got al Capone or big meech , money that monitor is over 5grand wow ..
what’s it cost $100 to make in southern China ?

These tv are like double msrp cost lol .
Tesla spoken to them
They are less expensive than my 65" plasma cost when it came out.;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis