What is the difference between Midrange/midwoofer/woofer?

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
I've been looking at replacing some speakers, and I'm getting confused on these:Midrange,midwoofer,woofer. I want a 5 1/4 midrange speaker or up to total 6inches. Thanks

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The difference is simply the range of frequencies each is designed to reproduce and will vary from brand to brand depending on what the marketing department decided was the proper name.

'Midrange' and'Midwoofer' imply they reproduce frequencies in the middle of the spectrum - slightly higher than the 'woofer' and slightly lower than the tweeter in the particular speaker you are looking at. The xovers hand off the frequencies from one driver to another.

If the speaker has a woofer, mid-range, and tweeter it is a 3-way speaker. Say it has a xover that crosses over from the woofer to the midrange at 400 Hz and from the midrange to the tweeter at 2khz. A different 3-way may xover at 500 Hz and 1 kHz. They both have a 'midrange' but each reproduces a slightly different range of frequencies so there is no way to precisely qualify the definition of midrange vs midwoofer that applies to all speaker designs.

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
So when replacing the midrange speaker stick to a woofer that states it's a midrange/midwoofer. correct stay away from on that is just a woofer even if the size is the same?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Without crossovers, all speakers,(tweeters, mids, mid woofers, woofers, or subs, will try to reproduce the entire range of audio. You need to look at the manufacturer for quality sound, then the frequency range of that particular speaker, then finally the db rating for efficiency. Some horn tweeters can produce quite a bit of midrange. Soft dome tweeters cannot. A lot depends on the rest of the setup.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis