What is the best wall motorized screen and best projector for the buck

P

parinshah

Audioholic
I am thinking of putting an LCD on the wall and then have a motorized retractable screen that comes in front of it for movie watching. I would like the screen to come off the wall and not ceiling (seems it easier to attach to wall)

1) Any recommendations for best bang for the buck screen around 120"? I am willing to spend up to $2-3k...but wouldn't mind to spending less :)

2) And best projector for ~$3k? I have heard its the Panasonic vs. Epson. If that is the case, is it worth for a regular consumer like me that is NOT going to watch a ton of movies to bump up to the JVC?

Thanks!

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am a fixed screen guy so I can't answer your question about the screen, however, the upcoming Epson 8500UB is claiming 120,000:1 contrast. I would really wait and see how it stacks against the JVCs in reviews.

Honestly, after using the Panasonic PT-AE3000U and the JVC DLA-RS2, I much prefer the picture quality of the JVC, but the Panasonic is dead silent, and the JVC is way too loud for my taste, to the extent that I will probably be looking into building a hush box for it when it is time for a permanent install.

That said I know the JVC-RS10 and RS20 and their soon to be replacements the HD550 and HD950 (don't know the RS version #s) are probably quite a bit quieter than the RS2/RS1. Also keep in mind I have to run things with the high altitude fan speed on and the JVC is much louder in high altitude mode than in normal mode, and my current mounting solution does allow some extra vibration.

P

parinshah

Audioholic
Thanks...I have heard the Pan is out selling the Epson

I want a motorized screen because the room has lots of windows in the back... So I can watch LCD during the day and have a large screen come down at night.

I heard the motorized Stewart Cabaret is nice wall screen, but also heard it's around $4k. I would like one that wins some style points though!

Thanks!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It really is more about sticking with the major brands which use quality motors and decent build than anything else.

Draper
DaLite
Stewart

If Stewart is out of your price league (often the case), then DaLite & Draper have some nice offerrings.

To my knowledge, they follow very similar design principles across their product lines which means their cheaper screens may not be as stylish as their more expensive screens, but use similar materials.

http://www.da-lite.com/products/selecting.php?viewMode=front
I would go with High Contrast Cinema Vision for the typical family room environment (ligher walls, after dark viewing, perhaps a few lights on at the back of the room)

Then pick any of their tensioned screens...
http://www.da-lite.com/products/product.php?cID=29&pID=39
http://www.da-lite.com/products/product.php?cID=29&pID=289
http://www.da-lite.com/products/product.php?cID=29&pID=70

Personally, while ceiling recessed is not an 'easy' install, if the studs run the right direction, it actually isn't that hard. You just cut a LARGE hole in the ceiling, put up some mounting joists and screw the screen right to it. Takes a couple of guys a few hours to install.

I personally use the Draper Ultimate Access V screen which I have ceiling recessed in my family room and many people don't even know there is a screen there until I hit the button and it drops.

P

parinshah

Audioholic
Thanks!

Do you think its better to go with the ceiling screen? My ceilings are 12' high...will that be a problem?

which ones do you recommend?

As far as both the wall mounted da-lite and the ceiling draper...what will be the approx cost for the unit?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I am thinking of putting an LCD on the wall and then have a motorized retractable screen that comes in front of it for movie watching. I would like the screen to come off the wall and not ceiling (seems it easier to attach to wall)

1) Any recommendations for best bang for the buck screen around 120"? I am willing to spend up to $2-3k...but wouldn't mind to spending less :)

2) And best projector for ~$3k? I have heard its the Panasonic vs. Epson. If that is the case, is it worth for a regular consumer like me that is NOT going to watch a ton of movies to bump up to the JVC?

Thanks!
I"m not a fan of the half way approach to a PJ setup. You might consider just going Plasma or DLP tv. I know a big screen is nice(I use a PJ), but they have some really big tv's these days that might fill the bill on both ends. I must discourage an LCD TV. Personally I prefer the DLP's but I like DLP.

The optoma HD20 is only 1k and leaves you enough to get a very nice screen which will probably outlast your PJ anyway. Optoma bulbs also are pretty low cost in the PJ market in my experience. Is the PQ JVC? No, but it's still better than any TV I've ever watched.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
No problem

Do you think its better to go with the ceiling screen? My ceilings are 12' high...will that be a problem?
The typical black drop on a screen is 12", but all motorized tab-tensioned screens are built to order and you can actually custom order a screen with more black drop (as much as you want) on top. So, make it 3 or 4 or 5 feet if you want.

But - really, the quality of the two is the same. The one nice thing is if you are going IN CEILING if your joists run the right direction... It's a really nice look. If you can't go in-ceiling, then on-ceiling is no better than on-wall. Either way, I would be looking to put a valance or some sort of surround around the screen which could hide it. Actually, a nice 'shelf' to hide the screen might look really nice. It will hide the screen and bring some character to the room.

which ones do you recommend?
Same deal, I would look at the websites for DaLite and Draper. The Draper Access V is good, as are others. Then just Google some pricing. Things should be close. Feel free to call ProjectorPoint or VisualApex if you need more specific pricing. Things range a good deal, but I think it was between $1,000 & $2,000 for many of the screens I was looking at in years past. I can't get you anything more specific until I'm at the office next Monday.

P

parinshah

Audioholic
Thanks a bunch. I will probably go with something that i can easily take with me in case we move in a few years...

I spoke with Proj People...they are great! He said that I can get motorized screens around $1k.

1 ) That being said....he said that Screen Inovations (SI) has screens that absorb light and work well with ambient light...does anyone have any familiarity with this? If so, how well does it work with ambient light?

2) This room is 28' long and 18' wide. A sofa will be placed around 1/3 way in the room and pool table will be in the back third of the room. The back wall in this room is 8' tall glass from one end to the other....and this wall faces east. My thought was to put an LCD on the wall for daytime watching and have a drop down large screen with projector for night movies and night football. I know I could get black out blinds, but this room opens up to an outdoor pool and its nice to be in the room playing pool, watching football and watching others outside splashing around in the pool. That being said, is there a good screen that does well with ambient light? If Screen Inovations is really that good, for $2500s can i get away with not needing buy an LCD flat panel for the wall? Is there any other company (Carada) that makes a screen that works well in ambient light that is not as expensive? I am probably going to go with the Epson 6500 or Panasonic, so there should be enough lumens.

Thanks!

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks a bunch. I will probably go with something that i can easily take with me in case we move in a few years...

I spoke with Proj People...they are great! He said that I can get motorized screens around $1k.

1 ) That being said....he said that Screen Inovations (SI) has screens that absorb light and work well with ambient light...does anyone have any familiarity with this? If so, how well does it work with ambient light?

2) This room is 28' long and 18' wide. A sofa will be placed around 1/3 way in the room and pool table will be in the back third of the room. The back wall in this room is 8' tall glass from one end to the other....and this wall faces east. My thought was to put an LCD on the wall for daytime watching and have a drop down large screen with projector for night movies and night football. I know I could get black out blinds, but this room opens up to an outdoor pool and its nice to be in the room playing pool, watching football and watching others outside splashing around in the pool. That being said, is there a good screen that does well with ambient light? If Screen Inovations is really that good, for $2500s can i get away with not needing buy an LCD flat panel for the wall? Is there any other company (Carada) that makes a screen that works well in ambient light that is not as expensive? I am probably going to go with the Epson 6500 or Panasonic, so there should be enough lumens.

Thanks!
SI are the only ones to have such a screen, and they make you pay for them. I have discussed it before, here. Feel free to google reviews of Black Diamond screens. There is one on Projector Central for both the 1.4 gain and the .8 gain versions.

If, and that is a big if, they work as advertised, you could get away with an Epson 6500 or the new 8500, or the Panny AE3000U or the new AE4000U. If not you will probably want that flat panel TV for the day time.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You can get CHEAP screens around that price - do not confuse that with a top shelf motor and screen which actually is weighted properly and will actually last you for years/decades.

This is the middle of the road and represents a high quality product IMO:
http://www.da-lite.com/products/pricing_pdfs/39.pdf

Model #89907 is what I would likely be looking at for your environment and a quick google shows it for about $1,600
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/285719-REG/Da_Lite_89907_89907_Cosmopolitan_Electrol_Front.html

Yet - going cheaper is possible, but you can't really be sure of the overall quality as many inexpensive manufacturers are also really 'cheap'.

For example - this one is under $600 new...
http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_TensionFlat_16_9_Electric_Screen_105_p/fxt169s-100.htm

But, it would not be something I would recommend to anyone who wants a long term quality product.

Ambient light vs. sunlight are two different things. There is a whole bunch of posts on AVS Forum about the black diamond screens, but I'm not as familiar with them as I probably should be. There is very little which will combat ambient light well, but black screens (as they are called) can do a good job, but they still can't really deal with sunlight or REALLY bright environments which it sounds like you have.

There is rarely enough lumens to compete with daylight. I think you may want to read the LONG threads on AVS Forum about the black diamond screen from SI and see what people are saying. I haven't really dug into them, but IME, nothing comes close to LCD in a bright environment, and nothing bests 100+ inches after dark. If you can swing both, you will be very happy with the decision.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis