M

Mega2000

Audioholic
and is it worth upgrading to superbit DVDs if I own the regular ones?

like 5th Element

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
Superbit DVDs get rid of all the extras (special features and some soundtracks) to make more space for the important stuff (audio and video from the actual movie). This better use of space means less compression and higher bit rate. I've not compared a standard issue movie to a superbit since I don't duplicate any titles in my collection but I can say that the Superbit DVDs (especially the 5th Element) are incredible. I use the 5th Element DVD as my primary "demo" DVD for showing off my system.

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
damn, when I bought the speciall edition 5th element, 2 days later I saw the superbit. I wish I went with that one.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
For me, this superbit editions are just marketing ploys to extract the most revenues from a DVD release. Sure, they have higher bitrates. But unless you have those large plasma screens, it's often debatable that you get any visual advantage. They often start with a bare bones edition. Then they release extended editions with featurettes, director's cut editions, anniversary editions with never-before-seen featurettes or deleted scenes, box-set editions (for sequels and trilogies etc.), etc. Producers can easily make a double disc superbit release complete with deleted scenes and special features. But why should they, when they can do this in small steps, the better to extract more revenues.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
av_phile said:
For me, this superbit editions are just marketing ploys to extract the most revenues from a DVD release. Sure, they have higher bitrates. But unless you have those large plasma screens, it's often debatable that you get any visual advantage.
AV's right, for the most part. You pretty much need a TV (of any type, not just plasma) that's 36 inches or larger to see the additional detail.

What's stranger is some of the movies they selected to make into Superbit. Fifth Element, yes. Underworld, yes. XXX, yes. Stunning visuals in these.

Panic Room, A Knight's Tale, JC's Vampires, something by Adam Sandler.. there's really no need for laser-sharp video on those.

Movies that have the eye candy (Resident Evil, the Abyss, The Mummy and I Robot would be good, or even movies with awesome backgrounds like Cliffhanger or King Arthur) make sense. "Tommy" came out like a movie shot yesterday instead of 30 years ago, but it didn't make the "story" any better...

To make just any movie into a superbit can be a waste.

As far as upgrading to Superbit, I would say no, since you'll be doing it again for Blue Ray/HDDVD some day not too far off. But if you are buying a movie for the first time that does have the visuals, it's the way to go. :)

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I have done a side by side comparison between SB and non SB discs. The difference was pretty easy for me to see. Is it worth the "upgrade"? I really think that depends on how much you like the movie. I don't think that anyone has mentioned yet that all SBs have a Dolby 5.1 and a DTS 5.1 audio track. So some of us DTS fans upgrade for that reason.

They usually strip off all the previews and junk at the beginning too.

M

MarkOcena

Audioholic Intern
I may be wrong...

But I think it is only Sony movies that are available as superbit edition. That is possibly why there aren't that many and there are some movies you'd think should be superbit, aren't.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis