What is proper crossover setting?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
i have a 5.1 system with my front speakers having 6 1/2" woofers and my rear ones having 5" ones.
What crossover settings do you recommend?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You haven't provided anywhere near enough information. What speakers are we talking about?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Revel M22 [ft] and Aperion Versus ll Grand [rear].

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You mean the crossover to the subwoofer(s)?

Your room and the low frequency roll off of your speakers determines that!

80 hz is only recommended due to the prevalence of bookshelf-only speaker systems that are often incapable of performing below 80-100 hz. Let your ears decide which crossover frequency sounds best!

You may also find a preference with music vs. movies. It may help to use two different inputs on your preamp/receiver so that you can maintain two different settings!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd start with 80 and experiment with lower and higher; can your avr assign different crossovers for each speaker or does it have just a universal setting? Did your avr suggest a particular crossover in its setup routine? That's usually keyed to the f3 point detected. Curious, what sub(s) do you have?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
SVS PB2000 SUB and AVR can do two different settings.AR auto sets to large (I set them to small).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd leave the low pass filter on the sub alone (in LFE mode or maxed out), and just use the crossover settings in the avr. Setting to small simply means using bass management, some avr's don't want to tell you your stuff is small. Can you set individual crossovers per speaker or does it apply same crossover to all speakers? Does the avr suggest a crossover when you change to small?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
AV suggests 80hzs when set to small for front/rear but I can do ft and rears separate.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
80 sounds about correct and is where I also normally recommend starting. If it agreed with 80 then that's a good bet.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
AV suggests 80hzs when set to small for front/rear but I can do ft and rears separate.
I have the same speakers as you and have done quite a bit of experimenting with their crossover. However if I make a suggestion based on my experience, I'm afraid my comment may be written at the same time as another comment and be perceived as "old". Also, not taking the time to actually study previous posts vs just reading them, I could be exposed to the same reception.

So... good luck.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I don't know what you are talking about. Would like to hear the result of your tests.

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
Small and 80 Hz is a good choice for your speakers.

The AVR high pass filter applied to speaker channels set to small is typically 12 dB/octave. So the roll-off is fairly gradual and the speakers will still play into the 70's and even upper 60's before the filter has an obvious effect.

During set-up, on the PB-2000 set the gain to about 1 o'clock, the phase to 0, and the low pass filter to LFE (which disables it).

After set-up, set the speakers to small/80 Hz, and then check the subwoofer channel level. It should be in the negative range but not bottomed out at the minimum value. If you need more heat in the sub channel, bump up the channel level in the AVR a few dB (2-4 is common).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis