What is maximum distance from projector to screen?

B

bigeyes

Audiophyte
My living room is very long (80 feet) and would like to have a projector put on the ceiling but behind our sofa, which means about 40 feet away from the screen (120 inch diagonal).
What specific requirements prevail to choose the right projector for such a long distance ?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
My living room is very long (80 feet) and would like to have a projector put on the ceiling but behind our sofa, which means about 40 feet away from the screen (120 inch diagonal).
What specific requirements prevail to choose the right projector for such a long distance ?
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

This calculator will help. I have no prior experience with projectors, but I'm going to install one in my HT very soon. From what I've read, that seems like a verrrrrrrry long distance for a projector to throw a good image. It would have to be a very bright image and you will need very tight control of ambient light. Plus, I have to say that sitting that far from the screen seems to negate the benefits of a projector, i.e. an immersive viewing experience.

If I may be so nosy, how did you end up with an 80 foot long living room?:confused: If at all possible, maybe you should reconsider that viewing distance. Around 15' would probably be much better. I'll be installing a 108" screen and my viewing distance will be 12.5'.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
As you were told over at the forums at Projector Central - the typical maximum distance for a 100" screen is about 20' from a Epson 8700UB/8350 or a Panasonic AE4000. Almost every projector will be a shorter range.

There are some VERY pricey projectors which can do it. They are all basically commercial projectors...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&td=40&i=d&is=120&sort=pop&sz=15

I would go with a good setup, and if you have aesthetics issues, then build a box to surround the projector (propery vented!) and match it to the room decor.

At the end of the day, a front projection system just isn't for everyone, and has soon as you have serious WAF issues, then you are already in a bad situation.

Realistically, a 65"+ display, like a Panasonic VT25 series plasma, may simply be a better choice for the space and the budget.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
As you were told over at the forums at Projector Central - the typical maximum distance for a 100" screen is about 20' from a Epson 8700UB/8350 or a Panasonic AE4000. Almost every projector will be a shorter range.

There are some VERY pricey projectors which can do it. They are all basically commercial projectors...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&td=40&i=d&is=120&sort=pop&sz=15

I would go with a good setup, and if you have aesthetics issues, then build a box to surround the projector (propery vented!) and match it to the room decor.

At the end of the day, a front projection system just isn't for everyone, and has soon as you have serious WAF issues, then you are already in a bad situation.

Realistically, a 65"+ display, like a Panasonic VT25 series plasma, may simply be a better choice for the space and the budget.
Agreed! Get a TV. They make them for people with these issues.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
A Panasonic 103" plasma tv like the one I saw in Hippo's in Albany NY intended for a customer in Brooklyn.

B

bhuskins

Audioholic Intern
Because you have the 80', I'd make a false wall like was suggested above and use a mirror system and rear projection setup. These can be every bit as bright as front and can really add to the wow factor of the room

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis