Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
If current DVI or HDMI DVD players are capable of displaying 720p or 1080i, isnt' that HD? :confused:

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The players aren't capable of 720p or 1080i, displays are. DVDs are 480p (now considered ED or 'Enhanced Definition'. The TV or a scaler that precedes it will scale the 480p (or 480i in interlaced mode) up to the native resolution of the tv, but the source from the dvd was only 480 lines.

DVI and HDMI are the means of getting the digital signal to the display device and have no relation to 'High-Definition'. A DVI connected dvd player can send 480p from a dvd just fine.

HD-DVDs will have the video on the disc in a high definition format already, so the source of the video is HD, just like if you were to receive a HD signal over the air or from cable/satellite.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
As anonymous was saying 480p resolution is not an High Definition resolution but an ED resolution. That's the resolution found in the DVD movies we buy today. 720p,1080i and pretty soon to be adopted 1080p resolutions are High Resolutions found on HD DVD movies pretty soon to come on dealers shelves.
i = interlace
p= progressive
ED= enhanced definition
HD= high definition

Moon Europa

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis