What is currently the SPL Meter to get?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Now that Rat Shack is out of business, is their another budget SPL Meter that has been proven to be reasonably accurate?
Thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would also be looking at the SPL meters from Galaxy Audio. But it seems to me that people are using their smartphones as SPL meters thanks to apps. I don't know how well they work though.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I would also be looking at the SPL meters from Galaxy Audio. But it seems to me that people are using their smartphones as SPL meters thanks to apps. I don't know how well they work though.
I tried my phone, but the apps I found got frustrating pretty quickly. My old Rad Shack meter doesn't have those problems.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I tried my phone, but the apps I found got frustrating pretty quickly. My old Rad Shack meter doesn't have those problems.
Haha, I 100% agree. Audiotool GUI just sucks. I have the mobile 3.5mm mearing mike but haven't seen good SPL measuring apps which could preload a specific mike correction profile file.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have an app that I use for tone generation once in awhile. It works good with AirPlay.
I don’t believe spl apps could be that great unless they have specific curves for each phone. I have seen(and posted) the curves of different phones. Iirc one rolled off at like 250hz and the other was 80 or something.
Even the RS meter rolls off at the low end but at home theater shack(and maybe now at avnirvana) you can find offsets to calibrate with. I guess the main thing is if the app can measure consistently across your system. I highly doubt it would be trustworthy for level matching subs though considering the roll of of a phone mic that’s designed for human voice.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I guess the main thing is if the app can measure consistently across your system.
Right. That was their main use, to balance the volume in the various channels of home systems. But getting a decent level of accuracy in loudness measurements, including the ability to calibrate these meters, only comes at a much higher price.

Volume balancing with SPL meters has largely been replaced by built-in software such as Audyssey.
I highly doubt it would be trustworthy for level matching subs though considering the roll of of a phone mic that’s designed for human voice.
Level matching subs is the least of the many problems facing an owner. Sub woofer placement to minimize subtractive losses due to out-of-phase room reflections is a much bigger problem. Often placement alone doesn't solve the problem. Room correction software attempts to deal with that, but success can still be elusive. I guess it's still a work in progress.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What problems did you run into with the phone app?
The few that I tried were set up pretty weird. One would measure SPL, but if any other sound (like a sneeze or something) happened it would try to average the SPL on screen or something. I'm not sure what it was doing, but I gave up pretty quickly. Once I found the box that had my old SPL meter, I haven't looked at any other apps.

It was weird that none were just a simple meter, they tried to get all fancy. :rolleyes:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have an app that I use for tone generation once in awhile. It works good with AirPlay.
I don’t believe spl apps could be that great unless they have specific curves for each phone. I have seen(and posted) the curves of different phones. Iirc one rolled off at like 250hz and the other was 80 or something.
Even the RS meter rolls off at the low end but at home theater shack(and maybe now at avnirvana) you can find offsets to calibrate with. I guess the main thing is if the app can measure consistently across your system. I highly doubt it would be trustworthy for level matching subs though considering the roll of of a phone mic that’s designed for human voice.
Yep. The tone generator apps work fine for me.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Why not just use a measurement mic?
I'm lazy!

Well, I guess I had to ask here before one of my old (lost) Radio Shack meters would show up. I was close to ordering on Amazon and did one more look see!
Now I keep it in a neon orange bag!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Now that Rat Shack is out of business, is their another budget SPL Meter that has been proven to be reasonably accurate?
Thanks!
I have never used SPL meter, but I have had this one on my Amazon wish list for a few years, and I'm pretty sure it was a rec by someone on AH from years ago. I added it to my list so I wouldn't forget if/when I finally decide I need it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002GWFG4/?coliid=I2O59QYFAD8S1I&colid=1HG08ZEAX2T4Q&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis