What is Best for Me? 2 x UPA-1 or one XPA-2?

M

mibson

Audioholic
I have a pair of PSB Platinum T8 speakers. I love the UPA-2 I have but it is not quite enough when I want to crank it up.

Would you suggest two UPA-1s OR one XPA-2?

I do have a large listening room that is effectively about 1000 sq feet, due to the fact that it is a 400 sq foot loft.

Im also willing to consider other amps but I think the value is hard to beat with Emotiva.

Im willing to save and spend more money but not sure if it is worth it....

Thanks for any help you can offer. :)

Last edited:
M

mibson

Audioholic
Pro amps

The Pro amps make me nervous. Im looking for hi fi sound. I KNOW that many people swear by pro amps but many do not. Im not familiar enough with the tech to know....Not sure what to do here....

Last edited:
timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
XPA-2 for sure! It has similar features internally as the XPA-1 & i believe has a better power supply than the XPA-3 which in itself is a great amp.

Im thinking of adding it to my XPA-5 for upping to 7.2 & giving my mains more juice.

M

mibson

Audioholic
I wondering if I should get two xpa-1s also. But that might be overboard. Does anyone have input on the difference between two xpa-1s vs one xpa-2? I know its more power but I just want to be able to crank it up with no distortion. Right now with the upa-2 I cant do that....

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
The Pro amps make me nervous. Im looking for hi fi sound. I KNOW that many people swear by pro amps but many do not. Im not familiar enough with the tech to know....Not sure what to do here....
And what is hi fi """"sound"""" ? Can you identify this in a controlled listening test ?

The difference between the crown and the emotiva, is that one is very efficient class D design that has a sensor-activator fan that only turns on when extremely pushed (and with a 500w amp + 88db speakers, that's enough to blow out your ear drums anyways) while the other is a less efficient class AB amp with 50lbs of heatsinking to keep it cool.

I know its more power but I just want to be able to crank it up with no distortion. Right now with the upa-2 I cant do that....
You honestly think that amps are your most likely source of distortion?

PSB makes good speakers, but they're not exactly known to be designed to "crank it up". How much thermal power handling do you think they have? How good do you think the intermodulation performance of the drivers is when the driver is displaced from rest? Do they even use sufficiently linear inductors?

If the goal is to turn the volume up, I'd sooner stick with the UPA-2s and get :speakers: that don't distort, like JTR Triple 8s or Geddes Abbeys, than to get amps that are just going to pour more power into your speakers that inevitible distort.

I always find it amusing how people get amps that produce 0.001% THD at 500w, while their speakers, are probably around 10% THD at 100w

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I have a pair of PSB Platinum T8 speakers. I love the UPA-2 I have but it is not quite enough when I want to crank it up.

Would you suggest two UPA-1s OR one XPA-2?

I do have a large listening room that is effectively about 1000 sq feet, due to the fact that it is a 400 sq foot loft.

Im also willing to consider other amps but I think the value is hard to beat with Emotiva.

Im willing to save and spend more money but not sure if it is worth it....

Thanks for any help you can offer. :)
I would go for the XPA-2. IMO the poweramp is the best investment in a system, so go for the best and most powerfull amp you can afford. My last amp I bought was in 98 350wattsX6 into 8 ohms and I am not even thinking of changing it, it's a keeper. I drive my rear surrounds with 300X2. You notice the difference in power once you start going from 0db to +3 and then to+6, at that stage 3 db increase is highly noticeable and for that you need a good amp.

M

mibson

Audioholic
sorry again some type of double posting as I try to reply

Last edited:
M

mibson

Audioholic
I only want help from someone who knows more than me. You are talking down to me and it is not required.
And what is hi fi """"sound"""" ? Can you identify this in a controlled listening test ?
How could I ever know this? It is a retorical question. Controlled listening test! How is this possible? It is not.

The difference between the crown and the emotiva, is that one is very efficient class D design that has a sensor-activator fan that only turns on when extremely pushed (and with a 500w amp + 88db speakers, that's enough to blow out your ear drums anyways) while the other is a less efficient class AB amp with 50lbs of heatsinking to keep it cool.
I have never had a fan that didnt make more noise as it ages

You honestly think that amps are your most likely source of distortion?
YES

PSB makes good speakers, but they're not exactly known to be designed to "crank it up". How much thermal power handling do you think they have? How good do you think the intermodulation performance of the drivers is when the driver is displaced from rest? Do they even use sufficiently linear inductors?
I have no idea. Im not against pro amps, but I trying to get educated before I buy. I have read 100s of hours and posts like yours dont help me at all.

If the goal is to turn the volume up, I'd sooner stick with the UPA-2s and get :speakers: that don't distort, like JTR Triple 8s or Geddes Abbeys, than to get amps that are just going to pour more power into your speakers that inevitible distort.Do you even know the speakers I have?

I always find it amusing how people get amps that produce 0.001% THD at 500w, while their speakers, are probably around 10% THD at 100w

AGAIN Again do you even know the speakers I have? They are not 10% THD at 100w!

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Nice speakers

mibson
These are some very nice speakers you have. I would get a good amp for these. 125 watts is nothing for these speakers. You don't even know what these are capable of with what you have been driving these with. They need good clean power and that does not come cheap. Now if these where mine this http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1322876735&/Threshold-S/450e-Rarely-availa would be the minimum I would be looking at or something like these http://www.powermodules.com/power_modules/mb500_amp.html. I am old school I guess but these have always been my favorite amps. 7k for speakers $500.00 for amp, for me just doesn't work.

Last edited:
M

mibson

Audioholic
I agree I need a better power amp(S). I did have a plan from the begining; to use this UPA-2 to drive a center chanel or rear surrounds. So Im slowing building my surround system.

I do like the looks of the amps you suggested. Im gonna think about buying used for sure.

How do you feel about the XPA-2 , the price is hard to overcome...

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I agree I need a better power amp(S). I did have a plan from the begining; to use this UPA-2 to drive a center chanel or rear surrounds. So Im slowing building my surround system.

I do like the looks of the amps you suggested. Im gonna think about buying used for sure.

How do you feel about the XPA-2 , the price is hard to overcome...
We all have our opinions, but if I would own your speakers I would not use any other amp then an amp made in USA, I would not feel comfortable using a chinese made product. 90% on speakers and 10% on amplification is just not right for me. Check out ATI, they make great amps and are an OEM for a few boutique brands.

Last edited:
baniels

baniels

Audioholic
Not to hijack this thread, but I would like to bring it back to his initial question. The desire comes from my having the exact same question for my speakers.

My speakers are Clearwave Dynamic 4TSE
Design & Specs
Impedance Measurement
Finished pics/Build diary

I've been powering them with my Onkyop TX-SR805 w/130 wpc. I was initially thinking to get the XPA-2, but then I stumbled on discussions and recommendations of a pair of UPA-1's in the place of that.

I am curious to know if there are any scientific or theoretical reasons why the UPA-1's would be superior to the XPA-2. As for crosstalk, one answer for going with monos, the audioholics reviewer of the XPA-2 said it had the lowest crosstalk he'd ever measured.

The price difference between the two options is not one of my concerns, however I can't stretch much above 100 more than the 800 for the XPA, so that rules out many other, even used, options that would be easy winners.

An Emo sales guy said that the UPA-1's would be help tame bright speakers. Others have said they are very musical. (I don't think mine are bright)

Last edited:
M

mibson

Audioholic
I dont mind the hijack, because my speakers are very bright too. I do have a unusual listening room that is all cedar so I think some acoustic treatments will help also....

I have a feeling Ill be looking for a used higher end power amp but not sure yet.

Any input for powering my PSB Platinum T8s would be appreciated. :)

M

mibson

Audioholic
Now that is an audio mystery to be solved;):D
Can you be more specific? Ive been on this site enough to know some swear by pro amps, but some do not. I willing to save and get what would work best for my speakers. But if I can use a processor and amps that are not a fortune that works for me....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis