What Is An Audiophile?

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
Is being an audiophile about spending gobs money on gear to impress your friends, or something else? Here's my take on what makes an audiophile. Agree or disagree?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do I have to watch a video ? You can't write a paragraph or two to sum it up?

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
It's not very long, just obvious conclusions, it's not about $, audiophiles will fight over anything, can be real snobs, but most are not, people will conflate audiophile with spending gobs of $, some background on my own journey coming from a famliy of classically trained musicians, and so forth.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's not very long, just obvious conclusions, it's not about $, audiophiles will fight over anything, can be real snobs, but most are not, people will conflate audiophile with spending gobs of $, some background on my own journey coming from a famliy of classically trained musicians, and so forth.
I'm just listening to some rather good music, so would prefer to read rather than listen to your voice for 14 minutes instead is all :) So probably nothing I've not heard in there except maybe your particular story. The use of the word can bug me now and then (like calling a piece of gear "audiophile") but I'll just usually go with the dictionary definition rather than what someone has twisted/conflated the word to mean to them.....

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
I'm just listening to some rather good music, so would prefer to read rather than listen to your voice for 14 minutes instead is all :) So probably nothing I've not heard in there except maybe your particular story. The use of the word can bug me now and then (like calling a piece of gear "audiophile") but I'll just usually go with the dictionary definition rather than what someone has twisted/conflated the word to mean to them.....
Likely true. Nothing earth shattering, just a topic that popped in my pointed head.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The low budget audiophile like me seems the pretty popular , I can’t seem to find a job when I do I’ll probably upgrade my sub first .
not everyone wants to spend a fortune, but I’d say a audiophile is anyone seeking better quality audio then tv speakers,
Even soundbars / Bluetooth are a step towards audiophile and some can’t fit a big surround sound. Technically anyone who wants good audio quality is an audiophile regardless of the gear you have right now.

There’s different level of quality and obsession over a perfect sound also, so your asking a question that can’t be answered it covers too many groups.
:D
You may as well ask a trick question.. paradox of a rabbit hole that home audio is.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Is being an audiophile about spending gobs money on gear to impress your friends, or something else? Here's my take on what makes an audiophile. Agree or disagree?

Personally I just cringe when people refer to me as an Audiophile. I generally find the term to be associated with cult like followings, and the making of absurd nonsensical claims held with a religious passion. They seem to treat cables as jewelry and have glittery over priced cables on display and even on devices to prevent them touching the floor. Worse they frequently spout a bizarre pseudo scientific notions held with a unwavering conviction. Anyone disagreeing is regarded as a lesser person.

These "Twots" wander in here from time to time and there is no reasoning with their nonsense. When we try and show them the error of their ways, they become highly belligerent and often very unpleasant. They waste a lot of our time as we try to maintain the integrity and honesty of this site. It uniformly eventually results in the idiots getting bonked with the banning hammer. They certainly deserve and earn the Audiophool acronym.

So don't call me an audiophile, but I will accept the title of audio engineer dedicated to improving audio recording and reproduction.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I don't need to watch a video to know what an audiophile is. Or what an audiophool is.
Back in the day I would probably enjoy the conversation about what defines such a creature.
But as I age, I tend to agree with @TLS Guy, I just get done with the topic in about 2 seconds because of the large number of individuals that are from moderate to really intensely annoying.

We had one recently come visit the AH and tell us about gear that was 10's of thousand of dollars expensive being "entry level gear" where he hangs out. That kind of nonsense gets old in a hurry.

The fix is easy. I'm going to go and fire up my stuff and listen to some music. That's why I have my stuff after all.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I don't need to watch a video to know what an audiophile is. Or what an audiophool is.
Back in the day I would probably enjoy the conversation about what defines such a creature.
But as I age, I tend to agree with @TLS Guy, I just get done with the topic in about 2 seconds because of the large number of individuals that are from moderate to really intensely annoying.

We had one recently come visit the AH and tell us about gear that was 10's of thousand of dollars expensive being "entry level gear" where he hangs out. That kind of nonsense gets old in a hurry.

The fix is easy. I'm going to go and fire up my stuff and listen to some music. That's why I have my stuff after all.
Yeah it’s kind of like arguing if soccer is football, or football is soccer.
You can enjoy audio without being addicted to special snake oil cables and ultra pricey speakers. Ofc I can’t afford anything expensive, even if I ever find a job because of they pay poverty wages. Imo is get a better tv first , the problem is the app I use for cable looks dreadful on 4k TVs .
So there’s the audiofool who believes every review they read online without ever hearing anything from ridiculous sources that have no background in audio.
And there’s Audio perfectionists who want to optimize their gear which I’m trying to learn from to fix my set up , I can’t say what an audiophile is because Audio stores are mostly defunct here except Best Buy which has no magnolia .

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

As a further comment. That speaker illustrated on your video above is highly illustrative of the sort on nonsense I'm talking about and illustrates how gullible these audiophools are. The Speaker is the Wilson "Wamm Master Chronosonic", which is a name right out of the back of the neck before we go any further. That abortion of a speaker costs $650,000!

There is minimal useful information on their site. What little there is, tells you to run away from it fast.

These are the minimal published specs.

Measurements
Sensitivity
93.5 dB @ 1W @ 1 meter @1 kHz
Nominal Impedance
3 ohms / minimum 1.77 ohms @ 310 Hz
Minimum Amplifier Power
100 watts per channel

There are no FR measurements anywhere. However a minimal impedance of 1.77 ohms is a massive warning that the crossover is incompetently designed and likely in resonance. Billy Woodman of ATC taught me that. He said if you design a speaker with the impedance dropping below 2 ohms then look very hard for for evidence the crossover is in resonance. In any event a speaker with that many drivers has no business being designed as a passive speaker. A speaker that complex mandates an active design. To add insult to injury that is also a very ugly contraption.

I have heard a number of Wilson speakers before, and not one of them has sounded like anything I would want to own.

Any self respecting designer with nerve to charge anything like that for a speaker, would be eager to show off a complete set of measurements and also seeking and encouraging third party measurements. That unit is splattered with red paint advising potential customers to run fast in the other direction.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
As a further comment. That speaker illustrated on your video above is highly illustrative of the sort on nonsense I'm talking about and illustrates how gullible these audiophools are. The Speaker is the Wilson "Wamm Master Chronosonic", which is a name right out of the back of the neck before we go any further. That abortion of a speaker costs $650,000!

There is minimal useful information on their site. What little there is, tells you to run away from it fast.

These are the minimal published specs.

Measurements
Sensitivity
93.5 dB @ 1W @ 1 meter @1 kHz
Nominal Impedance
3 ohms / minimum 1.77 ohms @ 310 Hz
Minimum Amplifier Power
100 watts per channel

There are no FR measurements anywhere. However a minimal impedance of 1.77 ohms is a massive warning that the crossover is incompetently designed and likely in resonance. Billy Woodman of ATC taught me that. He said if you design a speaker with the impedance dropping below 2 ohms then look very hard for for evidence the crossover is in resonance. In any event a speaker with that many drivers has no business being designed as a passive speaker. A speaker that complex mandates an active design. To add insult to injury that is also a very ugly contraption.

I have heard a number of Wilson speakers before, and not one of them has sounded like anything I would want to own.

Any self respecting designer with nerve to charge anything like that for a speaker, would be eager to show off a complete set of measurements and also seeking and encouraging third party measurements. That unit is splattered with red paint advising potential customers to run fast in the other direction.
Anyone who can even afford that speaker 1%er probably has enough theater rooms it will end barely used or constantly burning out amps . Or they are too busy being a ceo/ famous star to use the speaker keep them for display. What’s an Audiophile? Who knows …but I’m not watching another ridiculous video like the guy who hates center speakers .
I don’t know what an Audiophile is, but I know what they aren’t that’s waf cube loving folks on here trying to shoehorn micro speakers in a massive room. Or spending more money on cables than Speakers. :D
hey in small rooms it’s ok, but cmon man.
but I understand making compromises, because not everyone loves giant speakers .

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Anyone who can even afford that speaker 1%er probably has enough theater rooms it will end barely used or constantly burning out amps . Or they are too busy being a ceo/ famous star to use the speaker keep them for display. What’s an Audiophile? Who knows …but I’m not watching another ridiculous video like the guy who hates center speakers .
I don’t know what an Audiophile is, but I know what they aren’t that’s waf cube loving folks on here trying to shoehorn micro speakers in a massive room. Or spending more money on cables than Speakers. :D
hey in small rooms it’s ok, but cmon man.
but I understand making compromises, because not everyone loves giant speakers .
@TLS Guy @lovinthehd
"Anyone who can afford that speaker......"
I happened to visit one of the high-end Home Theater/Audio Gear stores here in my area a few years ago on a whim. It was hot outside and cool inside, so I made the stop just to see what they had. Long story made very short I ended up listening to one system that had a gigantic set of the Wilson Audio speakers in it and another even more expensive setup than that just because the sales guy was bored and in a good mood.

First off, I was stunned by the sound. Probably the best thing I have ever heard. But that's not the point of this reply. The point of this reply was I asked the sales guy how in the world, or who in the world, buys such systems and how can they afford to have one in house? The answer was very illustrative.

He said they had just sold one to its new owner (he did not use the term audiophile, but it fits) in Maui, Hawaii. The owner was building a new home there just for the audio system. The home was designed for the system. This is millions of dollars for the home on top of the system itself (north of 1/2 million USD). The second thing he said was they aim to sell just 1 to 2 of these systems a year. If they do that he said, it makes enough to keep the store open and operating for the entire year. Because it isn't just the hardware sale, this is a consulting engagement too. The design and engineering help on the home. The setup and blahblahblah. The hardware is just one component of a massively profitable engagement.

The world of really expensive audio like that is very different than Best Buy and Magnolia. I used to be of the opinion that it was all crap and smoke and mirrors. I don't think that way anymore. Systems like the two I listened to were pure audio joy. Enthralling and the best stuff I have ever heard. I listened to Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb like I have never heard it before. But the cost is not of my world. It never will be. Wilson Audio, and others, charge those amounts because they KNOW there are people who will buy them just because they cost so much. Charging less devalues the systems in that class of owner's eyes. If you and I can afford it, well, it's just not what they are looking for. I don't make fun of those kinds of systems anymore. I am still trying to find someone who has one that will let me come over and listen occasionally.

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
@TLS Guy @lovinthehd
"Anyone who can afford that speaker......"
I happened to visit one of the high-end Home Theater/Audio Gear stores here in my area a few years ago on a whim. It was hot outside and cool inside, so I made the stop just to see what they had. Long story made very short I ended up listening to one system that had a gigantic set of the Wilson Audio speakers in it and another even more expensive setup than that just because the sales guy was bored and in a good mood.

First off, I was stunned by the sound. Probably the best thing I have ever heard. But that's not the point of this reply. The point of this reply was I asked the sales guy how in the world, or who in the world, buys such systems and how can they afford to have one in house? The answer was very illustrative.

He said they had just sold one to its new owner (he did not use the term audiophile, but it fits) in Maui, Hawaii. The owner was building a new home there just for the audio system. The home was designed for the system. This is millions of dollars for the home on top of the system itself (north of 1/2 million USD). The second thing he said was they aim to sell just 1 to 2 of these systems a year. If they do that he said, it makes enough to keep the store open and operating for the entire year. Because it isn't just the hardware sale, this is a consulting engagement too. The design and engineering help on the home. The setup and blahblahblah. The hardware is just one component of a massively profitable engagement.

The world of really expensive audio like that is very different than Best Buy and Magnolia. I used to be of the opinion that it was all crap and smoke and mirrors. I don't think that way anymore. Systems like the two I listened to were pure audio joy. Enthralling and the best stuff I have ever heard. I listened to Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb like I have never heard it before. But the cost is not of my world. It never will be. Wilson Audio, and others, charge those amounts because they KNOW there are people who will buy them just because they cost so much. Charging less devalues the systems in that class of owner's eyes. If you and I can afford it, well, it's just not what they are looking for. I don't make fun of those kinds of systems anymore. I am still trying to find someone who has one that will let me come over and listen occasionally.
As mentioned in the vid, I listened to system that was about 500k, the speakers were 350k per pair Wilson's. Did it sounds great? Of course. Was I convinced it sounded better then what could be had for a fraction of that price? No. Diminishing returns kicks in way before 500K, and I suspect I could easily put together a system for a 5th of that - a mere 100k - which would rival, perhaps even exceed, that system. As with many things, at some point you're paying for names, looks, status, bragging rights, etc. Nothing wrong with that either if you have the $ and that's what you want to spend it on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As mentioned in the vid, I listened to system that was about 500k, the speakers were 350k per pair Wilson's. Did it sounds great? Of course. Was I convinced it sounded better then what could be had for a fraction of that price? No. Diminishing returns kicks in way before 500K, and I suspect I could easily put together a system for a 5th of that - a mere 100k - which would rival, perhaps even exceed, that system. As with many things, at some point you're paying for names, looks, status, bragging rights, etc. Nothing wrong with that either if you have the $ and that's what you want to spend it on.
It's wrong if you try and tell everyone it's so much better when its not. Buncha bullshit in audio for sure, particularly in the "high end" which is more about stupidity IMO.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It's wrong if you try and tell everyone it's so much better when its not. Buncha bullshit in audio for sure, particularly in the "high end" which is more about stupidity IMO.
Those speakers in that price range only exist for the 1% otherwise irrelevant for most people. same as luxury yahts etc wealth inequality created by the rulers of society.
It’s not by accident either, surely you can get good sounding gear without paying a fortune. :cool:
yes diminishing returns is true of most stuff sold.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
With out a doubt Wilson speakers are a statuses symbol. Sales of the high-end and ultra high-end can be numbered, per year. Most dealers in the US and UK don't even carry the top of the range models. Low end and entry level are the the choice in OZ, With only one dealer in the country. Magico and YG are more or less the same.

The big sales and money available is in the Middle East and Indonesia, Where status is a prime example of wealth, Porsche and Bugatti and common. The latest Bugatti Chiron nudges close to four million dollars . The same people also own super yachts which never leave the harbour.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
With out a doubt Wilson speakers are a statuses symbol. Sales of the high-end and ultra high-end can be numbered, per year. Most dealers in the US and UK don't even carry the top of the range models. Low end and entry level are the the choice in OZ, With only one dealer in the country. Magico and YG are more or less the same.

The big sales and money available is in the Middle East and Indonesia, Where status is a prime example of wealth, Porsche and Bugatti and common. The latest Bugatti Chiron nudges close to four million dollars . The same people also own super yachts which never leave the harbour.
And that has to do what with actual good audio?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I'm a music head and a cheap speaker whore. Audiophiles don't really want to know me.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
And that has to do what with actual good audio?
correct .
Yeah nothing to do with hifi or audio!! this conversation reminds me of the shrimp boat scene on forest gump, who ever can afford those speakers isn’t worried about audio quality. They can literally buy an imax theater for fun. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis