What is a good sub for my situation?

I

Impulse

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys, so im looking to upgrade my bedroom setup.

Currently i own a pair of nice polk bookshelves and need a sub to fill in the lower end.
Lots of music, i mean almost 24/7 that im in here.
Lots of electronic music but also some classical and vocal.
Room is about 12x15, give or take a small amount.

Price range for me is around $400-$500. Doesn't really matter if used or new. Just looking for something to fill in that bottom end.

I would really like it to hit loudly in the 20hz area, although i know in this price range it might be more difficult to find something.

I would really prefer it to not be one of those 100 watt rms subs that somehow retail for a ridiculous price. I am looking for something with a hefty power.

I'm not a huge audiophile so i suppose quality is important, but not as much as value. Subs generally sound good to me no matter what.

Thanks, hope to hear some recommendations!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Lots of electronic music but also some classical and vocal...Room is about 12x15, give or take a small amount...Price range for me is around $400-$500... I would really like it to hit loudly in the 20hz area, although i know in this price range it might be more difficult to find something.
I'd probably go for something like the Hsu VTF-2. It's got an 18Hz tune mode, and in a smaller room like yours, should be capable of credible 20Hz performance. It's also got a 25Hz tune and sealed mode if you ever wanted to try those out. I would think for most music, the 25Hz mode would be adequate, although I understand some electronic music can dig quite deep.

I

Impulse

Junior Audioholic
Interesting.. keep going :p

Now, what about building own sub? Any advantages/disadvantages?

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
Interesting.. keep going :p

Now, what about building own sub? Any advantages/disadvantages?
Of course. If you got the tools, a sub box is one of the easiest to put together. You control the quality of cabinet construction, the type of design you are shooting for, and the look of it.

Also, you can generally get a great amount of performance for much cheaper cost.

The cons are: It takes time and effort, no customer support, and resale value is quite a bit lower.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis