What is a good compromise price/performance stereo wireless transmitter/receiver for subwoofers?

A

aceinc

Audioholic
I have a HT system in a 15'x25' room where I thought about most everything other than getting line level signal for my sub woofers to the opposite end of the room from the sound processor. I have been using a Rocket Fish stereo transmitter receiver for 10+ years and the latency is a bit much. There have been lots of changes over the last 10 years I was hoping to pick something up which will fit my needs without breaking the bank.

I've looked around and I'm not sure whether I should be looking at Blue Tooth or some other technology. My two main goals are fidelity and reduced latency. I would also like to keep the price under $100.

What would everyone recommend?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a HT system in a 15'x25' room where I thought about most everything other than getting line level signal for my sub woofers to the opposite end of the room from the sound processor. I have been using a Rocket Fish stereo transmitter receiver for 10+ years and the latency is a bit much. There have been lots of changes over the last 10 years I was hoping to pick something up which will fit my needs without breaking the bank.

I've looked around and I'm not sure whether I should be looking at Blue Tooth or some other technology. My two main goals are fidelity and reduced latency. I would also like to keep the price under $100.

What would everyone recommend?
For almost all systems latency remains a huge problem.

However WiSA is making inroads. But you will need a WiSA certified sub, and either a WiSA transmitter or a WiSA certified receiver. So you won't solve your problem for $100.00

I think it would be better to go to the trouble of getting a cable to your sub, or moving your sub to a location where you can more easily run a cable.
That will probably be your cheapest solution, even if it means opening walls. If you do open your walls, then lay conduit, like TechTubes for the cable.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
I'd think about the SVS adapters https://www.svsound.com/products/soundpath-wireless-audio-adapter but I'd also rather hard wire. I do have some subs that came with transmitters and built in receivers that work well enough but still hard wire those except when I take one outside on the deck.....
In looking at the specs on the SVS device, the latency is about 25.5 ms which translates into about 29' feet which is approximately what the Rocket Fish device does. I suspect the both devices DACs and the delay is in the conversion process, but I'm guessing.

Hopefully I can find something faster.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I was never happy with the Rocketfish solution, ditched it years ago.

I then tried the Dayton Audio device, and find that I have too much interference for it to be enjoyable.

I'm with TLS, just suck it up and hard-wire it one way or the other. I don't think a good wireless option exists. If it does, then I certainly have not found it. I would be interested to hear how WiSA works out, maybe that is the answer that I have not tried yet.

Follower

Follower

Audiophyte
I have lurked for years here, enjoying the knowledgable discussions and subscribing to Gene's YouTube channel. I've been content to do so since I feel so many posters here do a better job than I ever could with their patience and expertise.

However, I'm going public since I see this question asked occasionally, with the Rocketfish, SVS and Dayton solutions mentioned but the general consensus is that there's no better solution. YMMV, but I've had good luck with Outlaw's OAW4. It's similar to the others in that it uses the potentially crowded 2.4 GHz WiFi band, but performs well for me in my kitchen where wiring the surround speakers simply wasn't feasible. It never drops out, and I only hear the clicks sometimes associated with wireless transmission maybe once every two months or so.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis