what is a control-s input/output?

U

Unregistered

i'm looking at a sony tv (kv-34hs420), and it lists one of its connections as a Control-S input/output. what is this connection, and what would it be used for? i haven't been able to find any info about this, and i'm too lazy to call sony.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Unregistered said:
i haven't been able to find any info about this, and i'm too lazy to call sony.
We are too lazy to answer you!

U

Unregistered

It is a control connection for use when you connect multiple Sony components. JVC has something similar they call compu-link. Onkyo has RI (remote interactive).

I haven't used Sony equipment in years but I can tell you some of the features that Onkyo provides when you use RI - Sony probably does something similar.

If you connect an RI enabled dvd player to a receiver, then when you press play on the dvd player, the receiver will automatically switch to the dvd input. When you turn off the receiver, the dvd player will turn off automatically. If you dim the receiver, the dvd player will dim also (and vice versa). If you use the Onkyo receiver remote and put it in dvd mode, you can aim the remote at the receiver and it will automatically realy the command to the connected dvd player.

These are all just convenience features and are not strictly necessary. All that I have seen simply use a cable with mono 1/8" mini jacks that you can get anywhere, like Radio Shack. It is not a special cable in any way.

U

Unregistered

thank you, fellow unregistered guest. much appreciated.

and thank you, mudcat, for your witty response. i see you aren't lazy enough to avoid posting a bad joke. work on it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Control-S is Sony's hard-wired IR interface. As you probably know IR is just a bunch of pulses of light, which are then received, and turned into electrical pulses which your TV (or other product) recognizes and makes an action happen (power on).

If you use an IR repeater system and hide your equipment, you can plug that IR repeater straight into the back of the Sony product into the Control-S port, but first the IR must have some stuff done to it to make it Control-S compatible. If you look at www.remotecentral.com you will see all sorts of Control-S codes for Sony equipment that work with Pronto's and similar remotes.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
What about BMX? Don't you think he deserves a thank you as well for his explanations?

Mr.T

U

Unregistered

Gee, BMXTrix posted two days AFTER he wrote his Thank You. Do you think he should have anticipated the post and give thanks in advance?

Besides BMXTrix didn't offer anything new, other than incorrect info on how IR works.

G

glz

Audiophyte
Why does Sony keep changing the connector style for this function?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis