What is a $5000 Streamer doing that a Computer / DAC combo isn't

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
For things I don't have much emotional or cerebral investment in, I don't pay much attention to anything beyond the price or costs. That includes most of the flotsam and jetsam that comes in my front door and exits out the trash can. For commodities that makes me a cost conscious buyer. Price matters.

For things I have an emotional or cerebral investment in, like my hobby items and other purchases that affect lifestyle, I am a value buyer. That means I'm looking for the best value that matches my internal view of what's satisfying. Cost or price is secondary or not a concern at all within certain ranges. I forget the price pretty quickly. But I remember and savor the value, or the reason I bought the thing, for as long as I have it.

To sum it up: for things I care about I'm looking at the value (to me) of the item. Price only comes in if its out of line or somehow it fouls up the universe by pissing off my wife. I understand what both Irvrobinson and BSA are saying in their viewpoints/opinions. Given what an item is, I can go either way.

Why let dollar signs rule your life when it comes to enjoyment? On the other hand, why waste what dollars you have if you don't need to? Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. And your Mastercard balance.

Plus, it's our duty as responsible consumers not to enable over charging. We're supposed to make these people work for our $. There is enough parasitic associations involved with our products as it is. After being involved with marketing a few minor products in the last 10 years, the cost just to pay the leeches of marketing should be treated as a crime. At the very least, the current marketing model is prohibitive to innovation. I'm not paying for that.

C

ChGr

Audioholic Intern
Here is what I know:

I've had an AMD Brazos (E350) based computer running almost 24/7 from 2009 with Windows 7 Pro. I have updates turned off so that whole cycle of updates and restarts etc has been zero issue.

I don't use if for general purpose computing so the machine is basically as snappy as they day I put it in.

I remote control it with JRemote on a tablet.

I have way more flexibility than any purpose streamer I've seen to date.

You say you control it with JRemote on a tablet. Do you mean a true tablet (presumably Android) or something like a Surface Pro? I'm trying to determine which would be better suited for this - Android or Win 10 (on a Surface). Which have you guys found more user-friendly for controlling your HTPC and for ancillary functions?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I use an Android tablet to control Foobar2000 and it works really well. I've had a couple of hiccups with Foobar, but all in all its a great player. Especially considering the price. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis