what in the world is going on with sub.....

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
hello its been a while.

OK. I cannot get my subwoofers to get going. I have three of them that i have connected and tried out and all do the same. they are barely putting out any power. the woofer itself under the sub is barely moving. what is going on?

I decided to hook up my sony strdn840 which i had connected to a surround system in one of my rooms. decided to hook it up to my PC. Ok I have two tall jbl front speakers connected to the rcvr. then i ran an optical cable from my motherboard to the optical on the rcvr. i have sound.

then i ran my sub cable from one of the sub connections on rcvr to the back of the sub. i plugged it into the white connection and the red connection and non give it enough power. I have the power knob in the back of sub at full blast and still nothing. i went into the level setting in the rcvr and put the sub at 8.0 just see and still nothing. what am i doing wrong? any ideas?

all three subs work.

my pc:
ryzen 7 3700x
rtx 2060
32 gb ram
750 psu
asus rog b450 f gaming mobo

thx

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Make sure that the sound setup from the PC is for a surround sound system that includes a sub. Maybe an update reset it. Also check the system setup in your AVR to make sure it also set up for a sub.

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
ok im in the windows settings under my default audio device "realtek digital output" and i ran a dts and dolby audio test and the sub goes off really loud and deep and then the speakers go off. so obviously it is working. but why not while watching a video or playing a pc game? if it is the rcvr how do i confiugre it? thx

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What sound mode is the AVR on? And as shady said, make the the pc is set for 5.1. I believe the AVR will take a 2.0 signal and a active the subs as long as it is in a mode to use the subs. Like stereo, DSU, pro logic surround. Just not direct, or pure direct. That will normally defeat the sub out.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well that should have the subs active...

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
it does not. i am thinking it might be the optical. my mobo might not support surround. idk man. but tomorrow i will run an hdmi from my gpu to the avr and we wil see. thx

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Are your subwoofers powered by inboard amplifiers? How did you connect them to your AVR?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you have speakers set to "small" in the avr? What crossover?

A woofer under the sub? What subs?

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
just set them to small in the avr. 180. the speaker under the sub. i have three subs that i have tested all dont put out the power. the speaker under sub barely moves?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
just set them to small in the avr. 180. the speaker under the sub. i have three subs that i have tested all dont put out the power. the speaker under sub barely moves?
I have no idea what speaker under the sub means still. What subs are you using? What speakers? What isn't moving?

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
It seems like he is simply trying to describe a down firing sub ..

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
hello its been a while.

OK. I cannot get my subwoofers to get going. I have three of them that i have connected and tried out and all do the same. they are barely putting out any power. the woofer itself under the sub is barely moving. what is going on?

I decided to hook up my sony strdn840 which i had connected to a surround system in one of my rooms. decided to hook it up to my PC. Ok I have two tall jbl front speakers connected to the rcvr. then i ran an optical cable from my motherboard to the optical on the rcvr. i have sound.

then i ran my sub cable from one of the sub connections on rcvr to the back of the sub. i plugged it into the white connection and the red connection and non give it enough power. I have the power knob in the back of sub at full blast and still nothing. i went into the level setting in the rcvr and put the sub at 8.0 just see and still nothing. what am i doing wrong? any ideas?

all three subs work.

my pc:
ryzen 7 3700x
rtx 2060
32 gb ram
750 psu
asus rog b450 f gaming mobo

thx
Does the Toslink carry multi-channel? What happens when you play two channel material. Also, remember you must set the Sony to output to sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It seems like he is simply trying to describe a down firing sub ..
In another thread he's got a damaged midrange on an Infinity SM152, and he's calling that a woofer. I think he's calling the woofer a subwoofer in this thread in error.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis