What HK reciever to power this speaker setup?

A

AngelusNexx

Junior Audioholic
I have to stay with HK because it is the only reciever I get a discount on and it is a 65% discount which I am taking advantage of.

2x Polk RTi 12
4x Polk Rti 6
1x Polk CSi5
1x Polk 505 Sub

I will most likely buy an amp to help with the RTi 12's but not initially so I am just really confused as to which HK reciever could handle all these speakers. Thanks.

B

Ben325e

Audiophyte
Hey zach, if you do in fact work at circuit city like me, then you can also get good deals on Onkyo right now. Onkyo is offering employees accommodations up until January 15th. Just check with the manager of the home theater dept, or just get on the accommodations website and print out the form for Onkyo. You can get the Onkyo TXSR-602 for 310 bucks shipped to your door.
The harmon kardon are good, and do have hi current amplifiers, but power ratings are seemingly lackluster. But, if you do want to stick with the harmon kardon, then the obvious answer would be the one with the most power in your price range!!! :) here is a good thing to know about speakers.......
Let's say that you start with a speaker with a sensitivity rating of 90db. That means that if you put just one watt of power into the speaker, and measure the sound output from exactly one meter away, you are getting 90db. The human difference threshold for volume is actually 3 db, meaning that if there isn't at least 3db of change in volume, the human ear doesn't detect the change very well. In order to make any given speaker 3db louder, you have to double the power input. So, the power to volume correlation for our speaker rated at 90db would look like this:

Watts dB
1 90
2 93
4 96
8 99
16 102 there is a harmon kardon reciever @ circuit city
32 105 rated at 35 watts per channel.....
64 108
128 111
256 114
There is also an HK reciever at circuit city with 50 WPC..... shouldn't really matter so much. Besides, who really listens to their home theater above 105dB? (probably shouldn't have asked that question here.....hehehe) To go with a reciever that was noticeably louder than the Harmon kardon reciever rated @ 50 WPC, you would have to step up to a reciever with at least 100WPC like the onkyo TXSR 702. Employees @ circuit city get the 702 for less than 500 bucks.... for me myself and I, I am going with the 602 cause it is bang for the buck quality..... :) Hope that helped more than confused....

Last edited:
A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
Hello, just a few notes from experience. Don't take the wattage ratings at face value for receivers. There are different ways the manufacturers can rate them. HK is one of the few manufacturers that will rate their receivers with all channels driven at the same time. Some manufacturers will just rate one channel at a time or rate them at 1khz instead of using the full range 20hz-20khz. That allows them to display their receiver specs at 100 watts per channel, but when all channels are driven at the same time it may drop to 50.
I have had an HK DPR 1001 rated at 50 watts per channel and a Yamaha 5790 rated at over 110 watts per channel in the last month. In my setup, the HK was able to give me just as much volume as the Yamaha, maybe even a little more. Another thing to look at it power consumption. In order to provide more power to speakers, the receiver will have to draw more power as well. For example, the 5790 only pulled 500 watts for power consumption, while the DPR 1001's was 550 watts, hence why the HK was able to provide just as much volume as the higher rated Yamaha.

The HK 235 and 335 are the obvious places to start if you want an HK receiver. Either of these receivers should be able to drive your speakers just fine. However, if you are not in a hurry and depending on your budget, the 435 and 635 should be released within the next month or so. They will provide more power and features.
If your budget is limited and additional features aren't as important, you may be able to get the older models, 430 and 630. They will have the additional power, but will not have any auto eq setups, fewer digital inputs, etc. You will have to decide which is more important to you.

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
With a discount like that why not buy the flagship AVR7300??? I have a DPR 2005 that I am completely happy with but would have purchased the AVR7300 if I had space in my rack for that monster.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis