What Happens When a Film is Released on DVD, Screen and Pay TV on the Same Day?

Naves74

Naves74

Junior Audioholic
The movie theaters will take a hit if there is release on dvd the following tuesday. However, it will not even come close the impact of hollywood making crappy movies. I mean think about it, all the major studios complained all summer about how the DVD was killing thier sells. What good movie came out this summer? I remeber when May came around every movie that came out friday was a blockbuster. Not anymore they are mostly crap. Now is the time the movies from late in the summer season are coming out to DVD. You can see why there were poor sales. When I get excited about flightplan because it is the best movie to come out in a while on DVD something is wrong.

I have driven by the local theater atleast once a week and every week I look up and say look more crappy movies.

A

AudioSeer

Junior Audioholic
Movie Theater:

Have to hunt to find a parking spot then wait in line.
Movie is at their schedule.
Have to get early for blockbuster films or else sold out.
Expensive, mediocre food.
No beer or wine.
Have to compete with inconsiderate movie patrons.
Relatively expensive.

Home Theater:

Better sound
Follows my schedule
No wasted commute time (when using NetFlix)
Can pause film to go to the bathroom.
Can enjoy a nice glass of wine or dinner with movie.
Can snuggle up to wife on couch with a large blanket.

After working hard all day long, I am completely satisfied to pop open a NetFlix, open a bottle of good wine and lounge on the couch watching a movie. Y'all can fight the crowds.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
To each his own. If you own a home theater you like, you have little reason to go to movies.

I have an HT system I love, but I still go to movies. I live in the city though and have two decent multiplex cinemas to choose from. But going out to a movie by myself (leaving wife and kids at home) is an occaisonal solo night out for me. No kids, no distractions at home, no falling asleep.

Last movie I went out to was Munich, it was good. But the presentation would have been just as good at home, if I could get three straight hours of silence there.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
jonnythan said:
I guess that's why the theaters are packed every weekend, all weekend. :rolleyes:

They *won't* pick home every time because "staying home" is something they don't want to do. Getting out of the house and "going out as a family" (or a couple, or whatever) is something they want to do, and they will consistently pick "go to the movies" even if the movie is out on DVD.
If that's the case, then why do we keep hearing how nobody is going any more? Why do we keep hearing that theaters are losing money?

Sorry, but movies aren't as packed as you think they are. I remember lines when I was younger, I haven't seen a line a theater in many, many years.

If theaters are so healthy, why are we having this discussion on this very forum?

Naves74

Naves74

Junior Audioholic
The last super long line I can remember was when starwars episode I came out. But that was only for the openining day then just like any other movie.

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
Wayde said:
To be honest, my HT living room is TOO comfortable. I have a problem falling asleep halfway through a movie, even good ones. Once the little rug rats are asleep and the wife and I sit down for a viewing it's tough (for me) to stay awake.

This has to be one of the most honest statements I have read on the internet! :D

W

westcott

Audioholic General
All indications are that the local cinemas and record stores are on life support. The movie industry spends a great deal of money supporting film and its distribution to the local cinema. They have already released a spec. for an all digital distribution system to theaters and video release. I doubt many will invest in the equipment and that would suit the movie industry fine. The overhead is staggering and with dwindling profits, cutting out the middleman is one way to increase profits.

http://www.dcimovies.com/DCI_Digital_Cinema_System_Spec_v1.pdf

Personally, I like my home theater but I felt nostalgic and went to go see King Kong with my wife on her birthday. I was very dissappointed because I am a huge fan of Peter Jackson. I used to enjoy the experience of going to the movies but once you become critical of film quality and the sound system, no movie cinema I have been to can provide a consistent experience. I saw lines where the film was worn, the whole picture vibrated the entire movie and was very annoying. It was especially noticeable on credits and any text. The bass signals were missing or turned down and just killed the experience one seems to remember going to a theater for.

But nostalgia or just going to see the really "good ones" is not going to keep them in business. 35mm film has seen its better days.

F

fergusonv

Audioholic
I go to the theater to see select films, I have front projection and a 100inch screen at home but it isnt the same as seeing it on a 50+ foot wide screen running off a 3 chip dlp projector. I don't go to the movies expecting better sound than I have at home but the image makes it worth while. I saw Kong at the theater and theres no way the scope of the image can be experienced at home.

EDIT: I don't visit theaters that use 35mm projection... the theaters I visit and spend my money at now are all digital.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis