What grinds my gears…

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm at the point the included ones get trashed. I'm enough if a tool hoarder. I don't need help.

Ive got a few good sets to where I won't need to ever buy any, but my craftsman sae and metric set is the best. Just sucks they're just kind of in a bag and that's it. That's how mine came.

When working in my truck I found the leaf spring bolt is a t-60 torx bit. Lucky for me the bolt also has a 1/2" end so you can use a normal socket or box end. I'd never use a t-60 torx again if I had bought one just for that.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd never use a t-60 torx again if I had bought one just for that.
That's why you get the 3/8 and 1/2 inch versions!

... and get the T55 while you're at it. That's the seat belt fastener for when you want to pull the seats out to repair the rust hole in the floor.

Did I say I drive a Ford?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Did you ever get plain fed up with some simple hand tools that you've had for many years? The other day, I got fed up with my assorted sets of Allen Wrenches, or to use the generic term, hex keys. I have two sets. One is a small set of 7 short Allen Wrenches (made by the Allen Manufacturing Co.). The other set, Sears Craftsman, has 11 longer hex keys. Both are old, dating back to the 1970s or 80s, when steel tools were made in the USA and lasted forever. They have the SAE size etched or stamped on them, I need bright light & a magnifier to see the size, but other than that, there’s nothing wrong with the keys themselves. It’s those clear plastic snap-top pouches they came in. Every time I had to use one, I had to dump out the entire contents to find the right size by trial & error.

Over the years, I occasionally bought some item that had Allen head set screws in it. Often, it came packaged with a single hex key to fit the screws. Rather than search through my collection, I used the supplied key. In fact, I rarely had to use one of the keys I actually had bought. Afterwards, I threw the free key in my bag of hex keys. That was a mistake – the free hex keys had no sizes marked on them. Over the years, the collection of unmarked hex keys grew, filling the pouch.

Now, it’s gotten very difficult to find the size I need. I have some door locks with a hex-head set screw that occasionally needs tightening. Those locksets came with a hex key to fit the screw. Of course, it was unmarked, so I never learned what size it needed, guessing it might be metric. On one door, I have to tighten the set screw once or twice a year. It’s become a real bother to find the right unmarked hex key. I tried marking it with masking tape, string, or twist ties. They all came off too easily. The other day, I marked it with my wife’s pink nail polish. I wonder how long that will last?

Finally I got fed up and ordered a new set of hex keys that come in holders that mark each key. SAE & metric, all for less than $20. Amazon offers lots of cheap Chinese-made hex key sets, probably all junk. But I finally found this, Bondhus, made in the USA.
I have at least one set of SAE wrenches in the yellow plastic, but the main ones I use are in a set, with a bolt through each end. That's great, but when the bolt becomes loose and friction won't stop them from rotating too easily, the SAE needs the metric wrench to tighten and vise-versa- ALWAYS when I only have one or the other.

I have a set of long SnapOn T-handle Allen wrenches and they're durable, but they twist when the screw is tight, then it usually needs to be tightened further. Unfortunately, the long ones are needed because it's not possible to do it with the short ones. I also have a set from MAC tools, which fit on 3/8" and 1/4" ratchet wrenches for working on engines and heavier applications but they start at about 1/8".

highfigh

highfigh

I'm at the point the included ones get trashed. I'm enough if a tool hoarder. I don't need help.

Ive got a few good sets to where I won't need to ever buy any, but my craftsman sae and metric set is the best. Just sucks they're just kind of in a bag and that's it. That's how mine came.

When working in my truck I found the leaf spring bolt is a t-60 torx bit. Lucky for me the bolt also has a 1/2" end so you can use a normal socket or box end. I'd never use a t-60 torx again if I had bought one just for that.
I used to do car audio, so I had T-45, T50, T55, T60 and because Nissan just had to be different, inverted Torx sockets for removing their seats because their seat bolts looked like a Torx driver. Yeah....I used that a lot.

I had a Buick LeSabre and it developed a howl during turns, which indicates a bad hub assembly. Great. I now have a 35mm socket that I only needed for the other side and will probably never need it, or the adapter, again.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
And if it's close, pound on it to make it go?
Never pound on it: that’s just rude. Unless, of course, that’s what she likes.
:oops:
Wait. You’re still talking Allen wrenches, aren’t you.
:p ;) :cool:

highfigh

highfigh

Never pound on it: that’s just rude. Unless, of course, that’s what she likes.
:oops:
Wait. You’re still talking Allen wrenches, aren’t you.
:p ;) :cool:
Uh, yeah....sure.

I heard a saying about Harley Davidson cycles in the 1970s- "If it don't go, beat on it and if it breaks, you needed a new one already".

They also used to say "A Harley doesn't leak oil, it marks its territory".

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I hate plastic pouches. They eventually get brittle and fall apart. I have a plastic hardshell case with SAE, Metric and Torx all labeled on the case. It's larger to carry around but easy to find what I'm looking for.

highfigh

highfigh

I hate plastic pouches. They eventually get brittle and fall apart. I have a plastic hardshell case with SAE, Metric and Torx all labeled on the case. It's larger to carry around but easy to find what I'm looking for.
Ditto- I have those long sets of SnapOn Allen wrenches, their Pick tools and a few others, but they don't leave the tool boxes for long and I try to avoid opening/closing them in cold weather. Most of my sockets are on long, metal strips and while I don't really like them, they work. I bought one holder that has four or five rows and that sits on the bottom of a longer plastic toolbox- that works well, but it's going back in one of my rolling tool carts because it always ends up buried in that box because I use it to carry a wide assortment of tools.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Ditto- I have those long sets of SnapOn Allen wrenches, their Pick tools and a few others, but they don't leave the tool boxes for long and I try to avoid opening/closing them in cold weather. Most of my sockets are on long, metal strips and while I don't really like them, they work. I bought one holder that has four or five rows and that sits on the bottom of a longer plastic toolbox- that works well, but it's going back in one of my rolling tool carts because it always ends up buried in that box because I use it to carry a wide assortment of tools.
Once your tool collection gets big, buried tools is always a problem. Those shallow drawers in rolling carts are great because they leave everything visible and accessible. Hope to get one of those when I reorganize the shop. Inherited some nice tool chests from my dad but not nearly enough space for everything that I have now. He was both a woodworker and tool and die man so I have a mixture of metal and woodworking tools. Don't plan on getting a metal lathe or milling machine though. Still haven't made room for a decent flat bed jointer yet. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Once your tool collection gets big, buried tools is always a problem. Those shallow drawers in rolling carts are great because they leave everything visible and accessible. Hope to get one of those when I reorganize the shop. Inherited some nice tool chests from my dad but not nearly enough space for everything that I have now. He was both a woodworker and tool and die man so I have a mixture of metal and woodworking tools. Don't plan on getting a metal lathe or milling machine though. Still haven't made room for a decent flat bed jointer yet. :D
As soon as I finish this project I'm on, I'm getting a tool chest/cart... On one hand I think its overkill, but I have most of my stuff in a bookshelf out in the garage and that is far from ideal. (Especially as the bookshelf is an old ikea thing... and as with all of their sh!t... you can build it and move it once... maybe twice... before it starts falling apart. This unit has been moved a few more times over the 15 years it's been in our possession, 2nd hand. Needless to say, it's a little loose.)
But d@mn... anything decent is pushing a grand. SMH. But somethings got to give. ...Before that bookshelf does!

This thing is pretty impressive:

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
As soon as I finish this project I'm on, I'm getting a tool chest/cart... On one hand I think its overkill, but I have most of my stuff in a bookshelf out in the garage and that is far from ideal. (Especially as the bookshelf is an old ikea thing... and as with all of their sh!t... you can build it and move it once... maybe twice... before it starts falling apart. This unit has been moved a few more times over the 15 years it's been in our possession, 2nd hand. Needless to say, it's a little loose.)
But d@mn... anything decent is pushing a grand. SMH. But somethings got to give. ...Before that bookshelf does!

That thing is a beast but they sure do get expensive. Canadian Tire is a big automotive supplier here (and general retailer of home goods) but they usually have deep discounts on a regular basis. 40% and 50% off is common so I keep an eye out for sales like that to build my collection. It's usually their house brand that gets discounted but fortunately the quality is pretty good and they'll exchange for new with their house brand.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

I basically have an older version of this and it's been great. Not nearly big enough anymore so I'm going to either buy or build a large workbench/tool chest combo for all my woodworking stuff. Automotive needs it's own chest.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-41-in-16-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Cabinet-Combo-in-Gloss-Black-HOTC4116B12S/304094256?

highfigh

highfigh

It's a long plastic Plano toolbox with a tray- I also service boats and prefer to bring (too much) what I need on the first trip in, so I don't need to have a metal cart or large setup near the hull, which could be damaged. I can pull an outboard, direct drive inboard or sterndrive without needing to grab anything else, including the transmission (direct drive or v-drive) and engine, so it works well, although it's not light. For specific repairs like outdrive gear case and outboard lower unit disassembly, I have drawers with specialty tools.

As much as I can't believe the money some people pay for tool storage, and I have worked with guys whose SnapOn, MAC, Matco and Cornwell boxes cost well over ten grand without tools, those brands really do make better storage units and the better quality of the steel makes them much harder to break into. My lower cabinets are Craftsman and the steel is thin, bends easily and the drawer slides are very cheap. Harbor Freight boxes are worse, but for someone who won't treat it like a farm animal, that's fine. Their ICON line is similar to the better ones, but still not there. I had a SnapOn upper (KRA-59B, for anyone who cares) and recently sold it because it isn't exactly what I need for working on boats (a lid with a deep storage area) but even on sale, a Cornwell is $1250.

This would be better, but I'm just not going to spend that much-

One guy has this, as well as a couple of smaller floor-standing boxes from SnapOn (his Corvette cabinet is red)- they go for close to $8K, used.

Attachments

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis