What flat-sounding speakers to buy for sound therapy?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Sure thing, I can do that. The only thing I can't change (for now) is the room, since these are in my office at work. Another thing I can't (shouldn't?) change is that the mic ends up being butted up against the rear wall. I mean, of course I can move it around, but then it wouldn't represent what I'd actually be hearing, since that is where I sit at my desk in my tiny office.

Eventually in about 2 weeks, all of this will be for naught since they will be coming back home when they get replaced by Legacy Calibre's. But in the meantime, I can take any measurements you like, in exchange for more tips like those that you are mentioning. When they do come home, I can take more measurements of course.
I appreciate that. Here's what I would like if you'e willing to go to the trouble. You can keep the All function on, but it would be nice to see one of the following measurements done with it off just to see what difference it makes. Since you've been measuring both speakers concurrently with the mic in the middle, you're getting an off-axis response. So please do the same measurement, but with only one of the speakers running. Then move the mic over so it's directly on axis with the speaker being measured. Finally, if the mic is substantially more than one meter away from the speaker, do one final on-axis measurement with the mic one meter from the speaker. Oh--and please don't post any of these measurements. Thanks!

Q

quick_frog

Audiophyte
The case has delayed quite a lot. It is still a question what speakers I should buy.

The output is a digital audio player (line out) plugged into an Onkyo A-9010 amplifier, so I want passive speakers.

I asked Ascend, and since I live in the EU, the shipping fees and the insurance would increase the price a lot. ('Total for the order will be $298 for the speakers + $245 for shipping = $543'. Plus import tax.)

I think Philharmonic Audio and Chane are similar in this question, because they are in the US too and say similar things about shipping on their website.

I am interested in whether the Ascend would be still the best buy for me after the posting fees. Maybe there is something with better price:value ratio due to being available in the EU.

I could spend $300 - $600 total.

I have seen these brands more easily available: Mackie, Yamaha, JBL, Edifier, Wharfedale, Emotiva, "Electro-Voice", Alto, FS Audio, Malone, Adam, Tascam, KRK, Focal, Presonus, M-Audio, Tannoy, Pioneer...

There is a Genelec reseller in my country, but those speakers have XLR inputs.

The listening distance is 1 m, fixed, on a desktop, 1 listener.

As for the low end of the frequency range, 50-60 Hz is enough.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis