what does pre/pro monoblock, preamp, etc mean?

F

firefighterchri

Audioholic Intern
Well guys thanks for all the advice, I have learned alot. I am in the process of getting me an SVS sub pretty soon :D . I wrote a thread a couple days ago about bi-amping my rti12's and have come to a halt as to what exactly is the main difference in pre/pro, preamp, 2 channel amp, and monoblocks and what are their main purposes? I have heard all these mentioned sometime or another here and would like to know more about each one before I break down and buy one. As I said before my system will be mainly used for HT and rest for music (75%HT 25%music). I know I ask alot of questions but that's the only way I will learn. What started out as a $1000 hobby has turned into a $8,000+ hobby :eek: and climbing. :rolleyes:

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Let's start here. Pre/pro is a Preamp/Processor. This is a device that switches, processes, and amplifies signals at very low voltage levels. Much like a reciever, only without the amplifier section that power the speakers. A reciever is a pre/pro and an amplifier in one box. When you use separates (as in a preamp in one box and an amp in another), your components are connected to the preamp which outputs signals to the amplifier to power the speakers. If your preamp is also a video processor/switcher, then it will also route video signals to the video outputs and to the TV, projector, or whatever.

An integrated amp is like a receiver, but it lacks a radio tuner and video processing. Integrated amps are also 2-channel (there might be a multi-channel one out there somewhere, but not that I know of).

A 2-channel amp is just an amplifier that takes an input from a preamp or from a preamp output of a reciever and amplifies the signals to power speakers. Two-channel refers to the number of speakers it will power, in this case it has two channels of amplification which means it will power 2 speakers. A monoblock amplifier is an amplifier that only powers one speaker (so a 1-channel amp). Many purists use these amps to achieve the best stereo separation on the electronic level that they can. Since monoblocks are also dedicated to only powering 1 speaker, they often offer more headroom than a normal multi-channel. Many multi-channel amps (such as those made by Bryston and Emotiva) use a number of small monoblock amps in a modular configuration so each amp gets its own transformer, set of capacitors, etc. This yields better relilability, servicability, as well as stereo separation and power performance for each channel.

I hope this helps. Post again if you need more clarification.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Explained to a tee. 0 room for improvement, nice one jaxvon.

F

firefighterchri

Audioholic Intern
jaxvon, thanks I think I understand it more clearly now. I think I will be bi-amping my RTI12's in the near future. I have been looking at either some 2 channel amps or the monoblocks that outlaw offers (M200). Thanks again.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Glad I could be of help. Now if I can just scrape together some money to get my new system going...

F

firefighterchri

Audioholic Intern
Sure jaxvon, not a problem. I'm sure I can fine some change laying around somewhere :D . I have no money for a while after buying this new setup. If I can offer any help or advice I'll be more than happy to.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis