what does it mean- "screen door effect"?

S

SeenThatMovie2

Audioholic Intern
On plasmas I can see little black squares in the screen unless I back away some 15-20 ft and take my glassess off. To me, that's like looking through a screen.

However, I see some Lcd RP reviews that include this phrase, but when I look at the tv's on display, the lcd rp look the best between the 2. Maybe it's the way my brain/eyes are interpreting the picture?

Can somebody explain this in plain english for me? Thanks

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Typically it is a termed reserved for projection systems like LCD, DLP, and LCoS.

You see, a fixed pixel display is made up of a bunch of square shaped dots. There must be wires run to each dot to control it individually and two dots, that are side by side always have a teenie-tiny little gap between them. With LCD it is the wiring that controls the LCD. With DLP it is the individual mirrors that pivot on a 'hinge'. With LCoS it is the separation of the individual dots. If you think about it, wires are largest, little mirrors have a smaller gap, and LCoS has the smallest gap of all.

But, all these little square dots are put together to form a 1280 X 720 grid of pixels. Just like on graph paper, if you filled in all the dots, 1280 wide and 720 tall, but never drew ON the light blue lines between each block, you would see a pattern of light blue boxes that looks like a screen door. This is the screen door effect.

You really shouldn't be able to see it on a plasma. I have 20/20 vision and on my 50 inch 1365x768 display the interpixel gap (screen door) disappears about about 2 feet. On a 42 inch 853x480 display, it is about 5 feet that interpixel gap disappears. On various LCD, DLP, and LCoS rear screen products, the interpixel gap depends on the microchip used (they are different!), and the size of the screen. The further back you get, the less you will be able to see the interpixel gaps.

If you can't see the interpixel gap at any distance - the projector is out of focus. Every single pixel should be very sharp with a well defined border around it. If it is not, then light is being allowed onto the gap which is softening the image artificially.

S

SeenThatMovie2

Audioholic Intern
thanks for the explanation. But I still see a grid pattern on most plasma tvs. From about 5-6 ft away, without the glasses, and I'm nearsighted. Very nearsighted. Just figured I "see" it like some people see rainbows with the DLP's. I don't see the rainbows, nor do I notice it on the LCD RP. Guess that makes me odd huh?

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
We stayed at a resort cottage a few weeks ago and they had a 42" LG plasma tv in the living room. There were these bright blue lines running vertically through the picture spaced every half inch or so. It was most noticable when the TV was trying to create "black," but I found it annoying as heck. Might have been a bad TV, I don't know. I've never seen plasma before.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
^^^ That most definitely IS NOT screen door effect. The screen door is always black, just like a screen... in your door. :) Bad plasma, or bad connection, or something else going on.

SeenThatMovie2 - You are odd. ;)

It's just seeing the dark space between pixels - that's all. Get back far enough and you can't see the spaces (black) anymore. It looks just like you are looking through a screen door. This is mostly talked about with regard to LCD front projection systems.

S

SeenThatMovie2

Audioholic Intern
well I guess I really am strange. :D Most LCD RP look better to me than most plasmas except the ones whose prices would leave me ready for a Darth Vader suit. (talking 6000.00 price range here :eek: ) The grids are so obvious to me, even trying not to see it I find it distracting and annoying. Who knows, maybe the prices will come down enough I'll barely notice the grid ;)

For picture quality for me, it's between DLP and LCD RP. Still a bit scared of that bulb replacment issue though.

annunaki

annunaki

JVC's HD-ILA does not suffer from screen door effect. It is an LCos derrivitive.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis