D

dave

Audiophyte
What do you think?
I have just upgraded my older Yamaha amp(RX-495) for a new RX- V1400. There is a remarkable difference in sound quality. I have a speaker system called Diff from Denmark which comprises of 2 by 350 watts mains, 1 by 160 watts centre and 2 by 120 watts surrounds and all speakers are 4 ohms.
A Pulkaudio Sub, and an in focus projector.

My questions: Has anybody ever heard of and/or used these speakers before and if so are they any good? I don't want to drain the guts out of my amp.

Should I be worried about not having a 4 ohms setting on the Yamaha amp?

My amp gets fairly hot, should this be a concern?

I have a friend who has very similar Diff speakers and a Yamaha RX-V530(much smaller than mine). When using his amp he has his sound level no more than -20db otherwise the sound is deafening. With my new amp I have to have the sound level up as much as -10db before it gets realy loud. My room is only relatively small (4.5m by 5m square) with tiled floor and normal gyprock walls.

P.S Thanks griff for your earlier reply but I would still like to know more about these Diff speakers.

D

dave

Audiophyte
Quick Reply

:) Dear Dave,
You sound like a nice guy and nobody else seems to want to reply so here go's.

My guess is that maybe only good quality speakers are made with the lower impedience eg. 4 ohms so yourv'e gotta a winna there mate! And maybe nobody has heard of the brand Diff so thats why theres been no reply.

I would also take a guess that maybe no amp is the same so don't worry about different levels of sound settings on your display.

As for sucking the life out of your amp, you only paid $2000.00 Australian for it so what are you complainging about. Don't be a tight bum and buy another one if it blows up. (It's not as if you sourced expert help for it or something)

As for your friend with that weak little amp, I would piss him right off and get a new friend with real equipment like yours or better.

I think I have answered all your questions. Feel free to ask anything else and I would be glad to reply. It's great that we can answer those questions for those new comers to our board.

U

Unregistered

I don't know anything about Diff speakers but...

The impedance of a speaker tells you nothing about its "quality". There are fantastic 4ohm speakers and lousy ones; same for 8ohm speakers. The only issue is that 40hm speakers are MUCH harder to drive than 8ohm speakers. Most decent receivers will drive 4ohm speakers but when pushed real hard, the amp will heat up considerably or even shutdown. The Yamaha will probably drive them but be careful with the volume control. If you can't obtain the volume you desire or the amp gets insanely hot or shuts down, you will need to get a receiver that is rated for 4ohm speakers or move to a separate amp.

The fact that your friend's Yamaha can drive similar speakers to louder levels likely has nothing to do with the receiver - there are so many other factors. Maybe his room is much smaller, he calibrated the levels properly, or his Diff speakers are actually a lighter load than yours.

If you like your Diff speakers and want to keep them I would look at a receiver rated for 4ohms. The Yamaha doesnt have a 4ohm switch because they dont want you to drive 4ohm speakers. Even if it did have one, you don't want to use it as it limits the current - just be mindful of the volume control as said above.

I don't know the conversion rate from AUSD to USD but $2kAus still sounds like alot of cash and I wouldn't want to just trash it and buy another one. Buy one that is suitable for your needs or trade those speakers in for 8ohm speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis