What Do You Think About Curved HDTVs? Better than Flat TV??

Curved TV: Real Deal or Gimmick?

• Read Deal. I want one!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gimmick. Another scheme to get us to buy new products.

Votes: 37 100.0%
  • Who cares, I'm still rockin a CRT!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
C

class a

Junior Audioholic
Curved screens, Smart TV options 3D and other enhancements just help increase the cost of the TV. I have an older Pioneer Elite Dumb TV and it still gives me a great picture. Build a TV that provides a great picture and keep the gimmicks.

B

Bevan Y

Audiophyte
Curved screens reduce reflection. What point is there to improve black levels and colour depth (ie picture quality) without reducing reflections. Multiple antireflection coatings are used just like we have on optical instruments like our camera lenses and our spectacles. But a curved screen works further by defocusing the reflection. Light comes from "everywhere", except in the dark. The cylindrical shape works like an astigmatic mirror. You will see a good reflection close up but when you walk away the reflection will diminish. They have now cleverly produced a screen that will be flat and curved. In essence, you will be able to see flat vs curved and see the difference, and you will be able to tune it to whatever you wish. Ie flatter, for more people sitting off axis.
I commend them on a good idea. However, at the moment it is unpopular. I hope it doesn't disappear like plasma. Having the choice would be great.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I tore down my flat wall and built a curved wall for my curved display.

You can all be jealous now.

No, wait... Still rockin' my plasma.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I'll take a curved screen if its the size of the IMAX at Liberty Science Center I saw when I was a kid...

Scaleguy

Scaleguy

Enthusiast
My parents bought a curved tv recently. The idea seems good but after watching it from various angles I don't think it's worth the money.

DJWPAR3

DJWPAR3

Audioholic Intern
I have spent MANY hours of late comparing flat to curved....Samsung 9500 vs 8500.

The curved would fit nicely in my corner placement, but that is the ONLY advantage.
I notice more reflections on the curved and some distortion from angled views.
I have to agree this is a gimmick...and not a necessary one.
4k & hdr etc are reason enough IMO to consider a new unit.

1dwn5up

Enthusiast
Soon they will come out with a reversed curve TV so everyone can see it.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I had forgotten this was a thing. Thanks to whomever drug this thread back up I now remember.

I remember indifference.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Soon they will come out with a reversed curve TV so everyone can see it.
Still has problem if you are seating at edges, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they actually pulled something like that out. :D

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
I can easily see curved screens working for near field monitors AKA PC monitors since it wraps the edges inwards towards your eyes but on a Big screen TV not very useful.
I have a 27" curved monitor for my PC and love it. You are exactly right. In the near field or if only one viewer sitting directly in the middle of the screen, it is better. In any other position, part of the screen will be more direct, part at a higher angle. Period.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis