What do i replace my 10 yr old Marantz Receiver with?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
My Marantz receiver SR7005 which i purchased based on recommendations i received here at Audioholics, gave me 10 years of fantastic usage with no issues until now. It now unfortunately has issues with the HDMI section. The pre-outs are working without issues (I have been using an XLS 2002 amp for the fronts). I can use it for music, and still works great!

Should i replace this with another receiver? I can also consider a separate Processor and pair it with the Marantz receiver (3 channels C, SL, SR) + Crown XLS (2 channels - FL, FR)? However the processors are priced much higher than an AVR.

Requirements:
  • It should be reliable, and should last long. I do not replace my devices every few years.
  • I would prefer it to also run cool, this should likely give me a longer life span.
  • 5.2 channel is the max configuration i am using. I doubt i will be expanding this.
  • Prefer to have room correction software, this is very easy to set up - My Marantz has Audyssey.
  • Should have pre-outs and triggers.
  • I am still living with 1080p. 4K or 8K should be fine.
  • I would like to stick within 1500$ range, 1000$ is preferable.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My Marantz receiver SR7005 which i purchased based on recommendations i received here at Audioholics, gave me 10 years of fantastic usage with no issues until now. It now unfortunately has issues with the HDMI section. The pre-outs are working without issues (I have been using an XLS 2002 amp for the fronts). I can use it for music, and still works great!

Should i replace this with another receiver? I can also consider a separate Processor and pair it with the Marantz receiver (3 channels C, SL, SR) + Crown XLS (2 channels - FL, FR)? However the processors are priced much higher than an AVR.

Requirements:
  • It should be reliable, and should last long. I do not replace my devices every few years. So would prefer it to also run cool.
  • 5.2 channel is the max configuration i am using. I doubt i will be expanding this.
  • Prefer to have room correction software, this is very easy to set up - My Marantz has Audyssey.
  • Should have pre-outs and triggers.
  • I am still living with 1080p. 4K or 8K should be fine.
  • I would like to stick within 1500$ range, 1000$ is preferable.
What is the HDMI section doing, or not doing?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
There is no video output. Even the receiver menu does not come up. Both outputs have issues

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
There is no video output. Even the receiver menu does not come up. Both outputs have issues
Find the IP address and enter it in the search bar of a computer. If the AVR isn't connected to the network, connect it and try this. Look in the menu for a way to save the configuration- this should be able to do that and I would highly recommend against using WiFi for this. If you can save it (would be in the Maintenance section), do that and then perform a hard reset. I have seen AVRs come back form the dead after a reset. Once this is done, see if the HDMI and OSD are operating. If so, reload the configuration and carry on.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If the hard reset doesn't work, then either get a Denon or Marantz 7.2Ch AVR and use the preamp mode/Eco mode so that it operates cooler or get something like the Yamaha RX-A4A (5YR Warranty).

The Yamaha has YPAO, so not sure if you like that compared to Audyssey.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
One caveat with AC4L, I'm seeing that their return process is pretty cumbersome should you have any issues. I've seen very very few issues tho, and they do ultimately honor their warranties.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One caveat with AC4L, I'm seeing that their return process is pretty cumbersome should you have any issues. I've seen very very few issues tho, and they do ultimately honor their warranties.
Do you know of anyone who actually used their 3rd party extended warranty?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Would you recommend a REFURBISHED AVR even if he lives in the USA? :D
Oh great... you just had to go there! Now we're all gonna get a lesson on Pete Walker and Quad amps! :p
Do you know of anyone who actually used their 3rd party extended warranty?
I know @lovinthehd went a couple of rounds with AC4L but I dunno if he had to invoke the extended warranty. I think he did get 2 lemons tho before giving up and buying new... I have been told there might be some stuff in the fine print of that extended warranty that possibly muddies up the return process too, but I haven't looked through it.

What I've never heard is anyone being abandoned or refused warranty service from them. From my perspective it's worth rolling the dice for the money saved, hundreds of dollars, if the worst case scenario is that I might have jump through a couple of hoops to get my refund or replacement.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh great... you just had to go there! Now we're all gonna get a lesson on Pete Walker and Quad amps! :p

I know @lovinthehd went a couple of rounds with AC4L but I dunno if he had to invoke the extended warranty. I think he did get 2 lemons tho before giving up and buying new... I have been told there might be some stuff in the fine print of that extended warranty that possibly muddies up the return process too, but I haven't looked through it.

What I've never heard is anyone being abandoned or refused warranty service from them. From my perspective it's worth rolling the dice for the money saved, hundreds of dollars, if the worst case scenario is that I might have jump through a couple of hoops to get my refund or replacement.
I've heard from friends who bought 3rd party extended warranties (don't recall which ones) who gave them the runaround and blamed the fault on them.

So it would be interesting to see an actual case where someone had to deal with the 3rd party extended warranty offered by A4L. Who does the repair, who pays shipping, is it really worth it, etc.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

My two bad refurbs were fairly quick to go, first almost immediately and second took just over 30 days....while it was a factory warranty, they did not force me into using it on the second but just added a few days to their normal 30 day return window. I did buy a new unit from them for slightly more, the time/effort wasn't worth the savings. I'd have been more impressed if D&M did a better job of going thru them initially so as not to have me need to get two bad ones, but.....

They probably have a lot of people trying to simply change their minds and return things outside of selling terms, but on the refurb sales it's a pretty specific set of terms/time/reasons for return. Seems they'll often question you're ability to setup/use/know about them, too.....they do the right thing in the end is my experience and for others that I can tell.

Extended warranties I would simply assume are weaker unless proven otherwise, far more a sales gimmick than a consumer tool from what I can tell.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Sorry folks, I had created this thread a year and a half ago. I could not get back to this thread. I got hit by multiple back to back issues - work and personal, and parked my purchase.

I have been using an AV splitter last couple of years - video to TV, HDMI audio to AVR. Works good so far!

Thanks for the replies!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry folks, I had created this thread a year and a half ago. I could not get back to this thread. I got hit by multiple back to back issues - work and personal, and parked my purchase.

I have been using an AV splitter last couple of years - video to TV, HDMI audio to AVR. Works good so far!

Thanks for the replies!
Working works!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis