R

RParker

Enthusiast
Hello all,

I have a lot of pretty old home theater equipment and it's time to start upgrading.

Background info:
Rec'er - Pioneer VSX-811S - 6x100w
Mains - 20 year old Sony towers
Center - Cheap JBL
Surrounds - Infinity
Sub - Cheap Quest

I planned on keeping the VSX-811s because it does everything I need, at least for now. The only issue I have with it is that it's vastly underpowered, runs very hot and I can throw it into protection pretty easily. I have a pretty large room - 27x25 So I need to run the rec'er pretty hard to fill the room. Plus I would like to upgrade to 7.1. The rear chanel is divided on the 811s but still need to be driven none the less.

My upgrade thoughts were to add an external amp and purchase some new speakers. What would I be better served buying first? More power or speakers? Or should I go a completely different direction?

For external amp(s) I was thinking about Emotiva

For speakers I have on my list to check out:
PSB
Paradigm
B&W
Def-Tech
Axiom

Thanks in advance for any advice..

Regards

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Hello all,

I have a lot of pretty old home theater equipment and it's time to start upgrading.

Background info:
Rec'er - Pioneer VSX-811S - 6x100w
Mains - 20 year old Sony towers
This is what I would up-grade first. Speakers then Receiver.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Yes I second Mazers suggestion. Speakers first always! Listen to as many as you can with your own material as a reference. B&W is always a great speaker as well as PSB and Paradigm.....I like these best out of your listed speakers..:D

R

RParker

Enthusiast
My initial thought was also speakers, then I got to thinking and wondered if there was any point upgrading the speakers if I can't drive them at least resonably well.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
My initial thought was also speakers, then I got to thinking and wondered if there was any use upgrading the speakers if I can't drive them at least resonably well.
That is why you'll need a receiver/amplification depending on what speakers you choose. Also it seems from your description ("vastly underpowered, runs very hot and I can throw it into protection pretty easily") that you might need a receiver anyway with the latest audio features.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I would suggest that you need the whole shebang, speakers, receiver and subwoofer. Speakers first, of course, then choose an appropriate receiver to drive the speakers you choose. In the range of the speakers listed, I would also add Dynaudio, Monitor Audio and Focal.JMLabs to your audition list.

In terms of visceral effect, the sub is the upgrade that will have the most impact watching movies. There are a number of sub manufacturers that can give you great bang (literally) for the buck but that deserves another thread in the subwoofer section to find the right one for you.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I wouldn't say always speakers first but in your situation, I would address the speakers first. If you need more power, could you add an external amp? Emotiva sells a decent 5 channel amp for around $800 that would provide plenty of power.

Jim

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I wouldn't say always speakers first but in your situation, I would address the speakers first. If you need more power, could you add an external amp? Emotiva sells a decent 5 channel amp for around $800 that would provide plenty of power.

Jim
But that $800 would buy a pretty nice receiver that would power most speakers and still have the new connectivity and codecs. I would think that's a better use of funds in this case.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I wouldn't say always speakers first
Why not? I will. Speakers, first, always! Theres such a giant gap between the improvements made with better speakers vs. anything else. The amplifier is what you buy to feed the speakers. It makes no sense to buy an amp/reciever and then the speakers. That's like buying gasoline before you buy a car to drive. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
In your case, speakers 1st. The speaker brands you are looking are mostly effficient and do not require a stout amp to drive them. Owning a compelte HT set of PSB Image series speakers, I'm inclined to go with PSB. But it all comes down to your personal preferences.

My audtioning handbook;
What I would do is to take a pad of paper with you, write down the make and
model of each speaker you audition and what you liked and disliked about the
speakers you were auditioning. Was the bass tight and deep or was it boomy and loose sounding? Were the mids life like or were they hollow or just too pronounced? Was the treble irritating and harsh or were they dark and not revealing or were they smooththat made you want to listen for more? How was the imaging?

Bring music with you that you are very familiar with and know quite well. To
make it easier to audition HT speaker systems, listen to the main speakers in 2
channel mode with music. Music is much harder to reproduce accurately then a movie soundtrack so if the speakers do well with music, then they will do well with HT. Speakers that do HT well may not do well with music. When auditioning the center channel of the same brand and series as the main speakers, pick adifficult source like an announcer that mumbles alot. If you can understand what the mumbling announcer is saying, then you have a good center channel.

I would go to speciality stores first and start auditioning speakers first
instead of going to the internet first. Once your likes are determined, you can
mention them here and fellow members can make internet brand recommendations based on your likes/dislikes. The specality stores are better setup acousticaly then the big box stores which will make auditioning a little easier. It will give you an idea of what you like in a speaker.

Keep track of what amp or receiver is powering the speakers you're auditioning. Try to get a receiver/amp that closest resembles what you have or want to get. It just reduces another variable when audtioning speakers.

One thing to keep note off. When auditioning speakers, make sure the volume
levels are matched between the diiferent speaker pairs because the louder
speaker pair will always sound better. Listen to levels that you think you
would listen to most of the time because thats how you are going to be using
them most of the time.

R

RParker

Enthusiast
I would also add Dynaudio, Monitor Audio and Focal.JMLabs to your audition list.

Thanks for the additional speakers to audition. I added Focal to the list, although Monitor Audio looks to have great reviews they are only sold through one dealer in my area and I refuse to buy from them.

R

RParker

Enthusiast
In your case, speakers 1st. The speaker brands you are looking are mostly effficient and do not require a stout amp to drive them. Owning a compelte HT set of PSB Image series speakers, I'm inclined to go with PSB. But it all comes down to your personal preferences.

My audtioning handbook;
What I would do is to take a pad of paper with you, write down the make and
model of each speaker you audition and what you liked and disliked about the
speakers you were auditioning. Was the bass tight and deep or was it boomy and loose sounding? Were the mids life like or were they hollow or just too pronounced? Was the treble irritating and harsh or were they dark and not revealing or were they smooththat made you want to listen for more? How was the imaging?

Bring music with you that you are very familiar with and know quite well. To
make it easier to audition HT speaker systems, listen to the main speakers in 2
channel mode with music. Music is much harder to reproduce accurately then a movie soundtrack so if the speakers do well with music, then they will do well with HT. Speakers that do HT well may not do well with music. When auditioning the center channel of the same brand and series as the main speakers, pick adifficult source like an announcer that mumbles alot. If you can understand what the mumbling announcer is saying, then you have a good center channel.

I would go to speciality stores first and start auditioning speakers first
instead of going to the internet first. Once your likes are determined, you can
mention them here and fellow members can make internet brand recommendations based on your likes/dislikes. The specality stores are better setup acousticaly then the big box stores which will make auditioning a little easier. It will give you an idea of what you like in a speaker.

Keep track of what amp or receiver is powering the speakers you're auditioning. Try to get a receiver/amp that closest resembles what you have or want to get. It just reduces another variable when audtioning speakers.

One thing to keep note off. When auditioning speakers, make sure the volume
levels are matched between the diiferent speaker pairs because the louder
speaker pair will always sound better. Listen to levels that you think you
would listen to most of the time because thats how you are going to be using
them most of the time.
Wow, thanks for that, all great ideas.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I say get both Speakers and Receiver at the exact same time.

I personally would not hook up a receiver that keeps on going into protection mode to my brand new speakers!:eek:

It makes you wonder if your old receiver even has proper speaker PROTECTION circuits!!!:eek:

So I say get both speakers and receiver at the same time.:D

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What budget are you working with for speakers and amplification?

R

RParker

Enthusiast
What budget are you working with for speakers and amplification?

I don't have a strict budget for the new gear, If I have to save for a couple of extra months to get what I want then so be it.

Speakers - I'm comfortable spending up to $1000 - 1200.00 for mains and work on the rest based on the mains I buy. I kind of like things to match so I would like to go with the same manufacturer for all speakers other then the sub.

For amplification I was eyeing up the Emotiva gear or going with a new rec'er. For a new rec'er I would like to stay around $7-800.00

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Unless your electronics lack sufficient power or have become noisy from age, replacing them will not make a big audible difference (though you might get some new features.)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis