What Classical are you listening to?

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Should you want a more recent recording on Blu-ray with DTS sound tracks, I strongly recommend:
View attachment 57534
Claudio Abbado conducts the Lucerne Festival Orchestra. This is a special summer orchestra with musicians among which some members of the Berlin Philharmoniker.
Yup. Thanks for the recommendation. Got that Abbado series too, as well as the No.9, and the No.8 the Lucerne recorded with Chailly after Abbado's passing.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yup. Thanks for the recommendation. Got that Abbado series too, as well as the No.9, and the No.8 the Lucerne recorded with Chailly after Abbado's passing.
I bought the No. 8 recorded live from Caracas with both the Orchestra of Venezuela and the Los Angeles Philharmonic under Gustavo Dudamel. A great undertaking with a total of 1400 American and Venezuelan performers assembled. Overall a good performance:

Mahler 8.jpg

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Bombarde.jpg

An excellent organ recording. The Henry Willis organ was completed in 1926. It was considered then as the largest and most complete organ in the world. It features 146 speaking stops and several 32 foot pipes, as well as one resultant 64 foot bass stop. The resultant 64' pitch is designed as explained here:

When pure tones (sine waves) are sounded together, they combine to produce two additional tones whose frequencies are the sum and difference of the two original tones. For example, if the original frequencies are 32hz and 48hz, the resultant frequencies will be 80hz and 16 hz. While this effect occurs at all frequencies, it is most effective to the human ear at low frequencies. (This same acoustical principle is used by celestes to produce a different effect.) This effect was discovered by Tartini around 1714 and by Sorge in 1740.

These stops use this acoustical effect to produce tones in the 32' and 64' octaves, using smaller (and thus less costly) pipes than would normally be necessary. One of these stops, labeled as 32' or 64' pitch, is comprised of two ranks which sound the 1st and 2nd harmonics of the desired pitch (that is, an octave and a twelfth above the desired pitch). For a 32' stop, the two ranks are 16' and 10-2/3'; for a 64' stop, the two ranks are 32' and 21-1/3'. This effect was first used in the organ by Abt Vogler (1749-1814). The first 64' resultant stops were probably introduced in the late 19th century. Some builders have experimented with using resultant tones in the 16' octave, but it is not an effective replacement for a true 16' stop.

If you want your sub(s) to move, this is one good recording of French organ music. It has to be played at higher than usual SPL in order to enjoy its possibilities.

Last edited:
eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Mahler: Symphony No. 5

Berliner Philharmoniker, Gustavo Dudamel
  • Release Date: 20th May 2022
  • Catalogue No: BPHR2003644
  • Label: Berliner Philharmoniker
  • Length: 70 minutes

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
This Mahler 5 in 24/192(Amazon MusicHD) is simply incredible. Crank it up and the power of the first crescendo will floor you.

1665372965409.png

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Now listening to the new Star Trek: The Motion Picture, the Director's Edition soundtrack in 24/192 on Amazon Music HD. Whoa, this is impressive. It's 1.5 hours long.

1665373601262.png

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
View attachment 21751

If it's not already a classic, It soon will be!

Oh, wait... wrong thread? :p
Well, Metallica has actually performed with the SF Symphony several times and recorded an album with them. Kirk Hammett went to high school in the SF Bay Area, in the Easy Bay about 25 min. across from SF.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Well, Metallica has actually performed with the SF Symphony several times and recorded an album with them. Kirk Hammett went to high school in the SF Bay Area, in the Easy Bay about 25 min. across from SF.
This thread mainly exists for classical music. Classical music is not the popular stuff that is performed at present, but relates to symphonic, chamber, choral music and opera which has been performed for centuries. While some excellent pop musicians have been performing with classical groups and orchestras, the term classic fits in a different category than classical by definition.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

• 1Johann Sebastian Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565: 1. Toccata02:51
  • 2Johann Sebastian Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565: 2. Fugue06:45
  • Johann Sebastian Bach:
  • 3Johann Sebastian Bach: Herr, wie du willst, so schick's mit mir, Cantata BWV 73: 1. Herr, wie du willst, so schick's mit mir (Arr. Reymaier for Organ)04:52
  • 4Johann Sebastian Bach: Was willst du dich betrüben, Cantata BWV 107: 1. Was willst du dich betrüben (Arr. Reymaier for Organ)04:57
  • 5Johann Sebastian Bach: Herr, deine Augen sehen nach dem Glauben, BWV 102: 1. Herr, deine Augen sehen nach dem Glauben (Arr. Reymaier for Organ)07:25
  • Sir Edward Elgar (1857 - 1934): Sonata for Organ, Op. 28
  • 6Sir Edward Elgar: Sonata for Organ, Op. 28: I. Allegro maestoso09:22

• 7Sir Edward Elgar: Sonata for Organ, Op. 28: II. Allegretto04:25
  • 8Sir Edward Elgar: Sonata for Organ, Op. 28: III. Andante espressivo08:22
  • 9Sir Edward Elgar: Sonata for Organ, Op. 28: IV. Presto (comodo)07:14
  • Sigfrid Karg-Elert (1877 - 1933): 3 Compositions for Organ, Op. 108
  • 10Sigfrid Karg-Elert: 3 Compositions for Organ, Op. 108: 1. Sunset04:06
  • 11Sigfrid Karg-Elert: 3 Compositions for Organ, Op. 108: 2. Starlight05:33
  • 12Sigfrid Karg-Elert: 3 Compositions for Organ, Op. 108: 3. Elegiac Poem06:12
  • Louis Alfred James Lefebure-Wely (1817 - 1869):
  • 13Boléro de concert, Op. 16605:57
  • John Williams (b. 1932):
  • 14Main Title02:21
  • 15Parade of the Ewoks04:04
  • 16Ben Kenobi's Death and TIE Fighter Attack04:48
  • Total Runtime01:29:14
Apart from being packed full of great music superbly played on a spectacular new organ, this is quite the best and most realistic sound I have ever heard from any source short of being there. It is incredibly good and the first evidence I have experienced first hand that this new technology can lead to greater realism in recorded sound. Anyone who has a well set up and balanced Atmos system should buy this album. To give it a fair chance make sure everything is set to Dolby specs. Speakers firing to the ceiling don't count.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
This thread mainly exists for classical music. Classical music is not the popular stuff that is performed at present, but relates to symphonic, chamber, choral music and opera which has been performed for centuries. While some excellent pop musicians have been performing with classical groups and orchestras, the term classic fits in a different category than classical by definition.
Yeah, got that. I was just having some fun with the OP's post. As you'll see from my previous posts in this thread, I'm an avid classical music listener. I have a collection of over 2000 classical CDs, was also a subscription attendee of the SF Symphony for many years when I lived in SF, and have been to symphony halls and opera houses all over the U.S. and Europe.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Should you want a more recent recording on Blu-ray with DTS sound tracks, I strongly recommend:
View attachment 57534
Claudio Abbado conducts the Lucerne Festival Orchestra. This is a special summer orchestra with musicians among which some members of the Berlin Philharmoniker.
I have that collection. Thoroughly recommended.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I bought the No. 8 recorded live from Caracas with both the Orchestra of Venezuela and the Los Angeles Philharmonic under Gustavo Dudamel. A great undertaking with a total of 1400 American and Venezuelan performers assembled. Overall a good performance:

View attachment 57535
I have that one also. It is a really good performance.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

• 1Johann Sebastian Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565: 1. Toccata02:51
  • 2Johann Sebastian Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565: 2. Fugue06:45
  • Johann Sebastian Bach:
  • 3Johann Sebastian Bach: Herr, wie du willst, so schick's mit mir, Cantata BWV 73: 1. Herr, wie du willst, so schick's mit mir (Arr. Reymaier for Organ)04:52
  • 4Johann Sebastian Bach: Was willst du dich betrüben, Cantata BWV 107: 1. Was willst du dich betrüben (Arr. Reymaier for Organ)04:57
  • 5Johann Sebastian Bach: Herr, deine Augen sehen nach dem Glauben, BWV 102: 1. Herr, deine Augen sehen nach dem Glauben (Arr. Reymaier for Organ)07:25
  • Sir Edward Elgar (1857 - 1934): Sonata for Organ, Op. 28
  • 6Sir Edward Elgar: Sonata for Organ, Op. 28: I. Allegro maestoso09:22

• 7Sir Edward Elgar: Sonata for Organ, Op. 28: II. Allegretto04:25
  • 8Sir Edward Elgar: Sonata for Organ, Op. 28: III. Andante espressivo08:22
  • 9Sir Edward Elgar: Sonata for Organ, Op. 28: IV. Presto (comodo)07:14
  • Sigfrid Karg-Elert (1877 - 1933): 3 Compositions for Organ, Op. 108
  • 10Sigfrid Karg-Elert: 3 Compositions for Organ, Op. 108: 1. Sunset04:06
  • 11Sigfrid Karg-Elert: 3 Compositions for Organ, Op. 108: 2. Starlight05:33
  • 12Sigfrid Karg-Elert: 3 Compositions for Organ, Op. 108: 3. Elegiac Poem06:12
  • Louis Alfred James Lefebure-Wely (1817 - 1869):
  • 13Boléro de concert, Op. 16605:57
  • John Williams (b. 1932):
  • 14Main Title02:21
  • 15Parade of the Ewoks04:04
  • 16Ben Kenobi's Death and TIE Fighter Attack04:48
  • Total Runtime01:29:14
Apart from being packed full of great music superbly played on a spectacular new organ, this is quite the best and most realistic sound I have ever heard from any source short of being there. It is incredibly good and the first evidence I have experienced first hand that this new technology can lead to greater realism in recorded sound. Anyone who has a well set up and balanced Atmos system should buy this album. To give it a fair chance make sure everything is set to Dolby specs. Speakers firing to the ceiling don't count.
I've received this 2-disc set today. I listened to a good part of it. It is an excellent recording despite the fact that I don't use the Atmos feature. I can't have Atmos as I live in an apartment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis