What Classical are you listening to?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Great post!
(in reference to TLS Guy's post above)
Thank you for that.

It is such a shame that these proms can not be enjoyed and watched outside the UK unless like I do you use a VPN link.

Year after year since 1895 the Proms have been a treasure trove. With concerts everyday, often multiple for two straight months, there is much time to devote to the interesting and the less trodden path.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

While I'm here in the forum Sony Classical have just announced that they will release the full length Opera Cinderella by Alma Deutscher on DVD and BD October 26. 2018. I hope demand will exceed expectations.

The Vienna State Opera have the one hour abridged version for children on DVD and heir VOD service now.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I love this work. I am not familiar with this presentation but I think I have it on order. I hope so!
I did not know of this recording. I have ordered it. Be aware it is only available for play on region B/2 so it will not play on most US BD players. The DVD will, but not the BD. Fortunately I have a BD in my rig that will play it.

According to the reviews the dynamic range is colossal. The reviewers systems seem to run out of gas even though they have good equipment. I think this 50 anniversary concert was recorded by the BBC. As usual the BBC show no mercy for equipment not up to snuff. They never have and are often criticized for that approach.

Hopefully this rig here will be up to it. If not it will be a first. I designed this rig to perform the kind of climaxes I expect of scores like this effortlessly. So far it has always obliged. You can just never over do the headroom of amps and speakers for this type of repertory.

I have the CDs of Benjamin Britten's original recording. I also have a very fine SACD version under Helmut Rilling.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
I did not know of this recording. I have ordered it. Be aware it is only available for play on region B/2 so it will not play on most US BD players. The DVD will, but not the BD. Fortunately I have a BD in my rig that will play it.

According to the reviews the dynamic range is colossal. The reviewers systems seem to run out of gas even though they have good equipment. I think this 50 anniversary concert was recorded by the BBC. As usual the BBC show no mercy for equipment not up to snuff. They never have and are often criticized for that approach.

Hopefully this rig here will be up to it. If not it will be a first. I designed this rig to perform the kind of climaxes I expect of scores like this effortlessly. So far it has always obliged. You can just never over do the headroom of amps and speakers for this type of repertory.

I have the CDs of Benjamin Britten's original recording. I also have a very fine SACD version under Helmut Rilling.
This is the back of the package:

Region code 0 will not cause any problems on any players.

You are absolutely correct about the dynamic range. It is colossal. My wife was leaving the house just as I was putting it into the player and did not return until the last 7 minutes of play. I set the volume at -22db, which is loud on my system, and let it play through. I was very impressed with the product. The recorded sound is great. I know the box says its DD 5.1, but I could swear my Anthem said it was playing DTS HD Master Audio (that rig is powered down now, I'll confirm/deny this the next time I power it up). [I just confirmed at arthaus-musik.com that it is DTS HD Master Audio] Anyway, I was also extremely impressed with the camera work. The director knew every nuance of the piece and had his camera men exactly where they should be throughout the work. Editing was first rate. Overall, a really good product. My first concert on blu-ray, but if other ArtHaus products are like this, and the trailers on the disc for other releases indicate they are, it will not be my last.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

This is the back of the package:

Region code 0 will not cause any problems on any players.

You are absolutely correct about the dynamic range. It is colossal. My wife was leaving the house just as I was putting it into the player and did not return until the last 7 minutes of play. I set the volume at -22db, which is loud on my system, and let it play through. I was very impressed with the product. The recorded sound is great. I know the box says its DD 5.1, but I could swear my Anthem said it was playing DTS HD Master Audio (that rig is powered down now, I'll confirm/deny this the next time I power it up). [I just confirmed at arthaus-musik.com that it is DTS HD Master Audio] Anyway, I was also extremely impressed with the camera work. The director knew every nuance of the piece and had his camera men exactly where they should be throughout the work. Editing was first rate. Overall, a really good product. My first concert on blu-ray, but if other ArtHaus products are like this, and the trailers on the disc for other releases indicate they are, it will not be my last.
That is interesting as the Amazon site and ArtHous say the BD is region B/2. When I ordered on Amazon there was a warning that it was B/2. Where did you order your disc? In this case you have the BBC to thank for the AV. The concert was broadcast live by the BBC.
No one records classical program as expertly as the BBC. They have been head of the pack for a hundred years. All the others are also rans.

That is why it is such a shame you can't easily enjoy the Proms over here.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis