what caused no sound ?

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
friday night, we watched PUSH. no issues with my gear, as usual.

last night i dropped in 500 DAYS OF SUMMER. no sound at all, dead quiet :mad:
i'm like, WTH. i put in PUSH, still no sound. so i am looking behind my gear with a flashlight, then the sound comes on ! i didn't touch anything, it just came on.
so i put 500 days back in = no sound again. i put PUSH back in, sound. i put 500 DAYS in, sound. we then watched the movie with no issues.
BD35 updated about 2-3 months ago.

wutcha think ? thanx

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

oh. 500 DAYS seemed to take a longer than usual time to load. if that matters.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Sounds like Gremlins

Sorry I don't have any useful info. I'm supposed to be working and once again I am procrastinating.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Only time I get no sound on my BD35 is on the early seasons of LOST on BD. I don't bet the "Previously on LOST" or first few lines of dialog until I back it up and then hit play - then the sound comes thru. Seems like a bug in how they encoded the discs because after season 3 all the discs work just fine. :confused:

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Good Luck if you need Panasonic Customer Support

Good Luck !, my BD30 failed after about 18 months, would still play std DVD and CDs but no BD. Panasonic Customer Support was absolutely clueless and wanted me to pack and ship unit at my expense then were going to charge me another $100-$120 to fix.

I dumped Panasonic, got an LG BD390 ...great BD player, automatic Internet updates and Netflix and other streaming.

I hope you get your BD35 fixed ..Good luck you might need it!

Later,

Forest Man

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

i am starting to find out that pretty much all consumer electronics are junk.

my 32" toshiba went pop, then dead. 14 months.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

People need to have someone tell them "You can get it good, fast and cheap. Pick two- you can't get all three".

People ***** about how they think a seller is raping them by making a profit, so they buy almost everything online. That has decimated the brick & mortar electronics dealers and the customer services they used to provide. Enter Wally World, Amazon, etc and low, LOW LOW PRICES!

Some brands aren't so hot. Too bad it's hard to ask a dealer which ones last and which don't.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

i dropped that 32" off at the repair shop. there was a LOT of tv's there. all brands, and lots of em. seems to me reliability is a crap shoot.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I think there is trend to more faults.

The reasons I think are many.

Increasing complexity and power of microprocessors. This causes an increase in fragility as the semiconductor layers are thinner, and more susceptible to damage.

To combat this, all units with micro processors need protection. That means whole house surge protection, not surge strips. running these units from smart UPS type devices. I think this would reduce failure by a big margin.

Avoiding sources of heat around microprocessors. Make arrangements for superior ventilation. Use separates where possible instead of receivers.

The new lead free solder is a definite issue, as it has a tendency to sprout shorting whiskers and an increased rate of dry joints.

Declining standards of chip manufacture in the worlds two largest fabricator groups, one out of China, the other out of Taiwan. This is of concern to the industry, and plans are advancing for another fabrication consortium, with factories in the Dresden area of Germany and New York.

Pushing price points too low. There really is far too much junk out there, that are a waste of resources and a contamination recycling nightmare.

All of these issues are combining to cause reliability rates to be on the decline.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Consumer electronics is designed specifically with the intent of the unit breaking after the end of the warranty if you ask me...
I really doubt that is so. But I think there is a pandering to the bottom end of the market.

Expecting a complex receiver to be any good much below around $1000, I think is a stretch, and $2000 to $3000 sounds more like a realistic price target.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

i think it is the cheap chinese parts. with some planned obsolescence thrown in.
and price is the cause. if these same parts were made in the USA, a 32" tv would cost $1500. and most everyone would still be watching SD.

$2000 for a receiver . if that were par, these forums would be pretty lonely.

afa my 32" tv crapping out. i am going "round & round" with toshiba for a warranty repair.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

i think it is the cheap chinese parts. with some planned obsolescence thrown in.
and price is the cause. if these same parts were made in the USA, a 32" tv would cost $1500. and most everyone would still be watching SD.

$2000 for a receiver . if that were par, these forums would be pretty lonely.

afa my 32" tv crapping out. i am going "round & round" with toshiba for a warranty repair.
If you knew a fraction of the technology that has to go into a modern Hi Def TV, receiver or pre pro, you would understand the severe disconnect.

Basically at the prices you are prepared to pay you should be watching SD.

Do you realize the size of the chips and spacing of the components on a board is now an issue?

The finite time, placing and characteristics of a board now determine whether it will work at all.

My son designs chips and is an expert in electromagnetic modeling. Gone are the days when you could make a breadboard circuit and expect it to work. He has to do a lot of advanced theoretical math down to the nuclear physics level of the components and circuit board.

It takes practically nothing to really upset these circuits.

He sees much more unreliability in your future, unless people are really prepared to pay the piper.

These failures are very costly to industry. I think the low end of the market actually will disappear, because it is rapidly becoming impractical.

So it may get lonely.

However if we were really the center of all this design and manufacture, there would be people to pay the piper, because we would have high paying jobs; lots of them.

As it is we have dumbed down our education to where the population is becoming as stupid as pig dribble. But the Koreans close their airspace on high school exam day, and have now placed a curfew on children and gaming.

The world is getting more and more complicated by the week, and our population are becoming stupid and irrelevant. It is time to wake up and smell the coffee.

There are much broader issues behind your failures than you realize.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
As it is we have dumbed down our education to where the population is becoming as stupid as pig dribble. But the Koreans close their airspace on high school exam day, and have now placed a curfew on children and gaming.

The world is getting more and more complicated by the week, and our population are becoming stupid and irrelevant. It is time to wake up and smell the coffee.

There are much broader issues behind your failures than you realize.
The height of American Engineering has passed. India is the next source of great innovation. Every society that benefits from engineering seems to get fat and lose their skill eventually. India may be the super power in a few decades. I realize that's a crazy thought, but with the amount of engineers they are developing I don't see how they won't be the great next great society.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis