What brand manufacturers make the best av home theater receiver.

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
I think it’s unanimous that none of us would recommend ANY AVR for $5K, especially from those of us who have actually spent more than $5K on AVRs and a lot more on Pre-pros, Amps, and speakers.
Unless you want more than 12 channels. For that, you have to pay to play (currently, at least). If you have multiple rows of seats, 6 Atmos speakers might be better than 4 (with a good mix, at least). Front wides are said to be a very nice improvement....

There is one more reason a guy with only 11 main channels might want one of the newer processors. While it's not the most cost effective way of doing it, if a guy has multiple subs and wants a one-box solution, using some of the extra channels of the newer 16 channel processors for the subs along with the new Dirac Bass Module built into the processor might be more attractive to some than getting a miniDSP and doing everything manually.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$6K Arcam AVR: 142.8 watts x 2Ch 8ohm 1% THD, 248.8 watts x 2Ch 4ohm 1% THD, Crosstalk –88.37 dB, SNR –107.48 dBrA.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/arcam-avr850-av-receiver-review-test-bench#0OOsEsM91fvQofsc.99

$2K Yamaha AVR: 186.4 watts x 2Ch 8ohm 1% THD, 294.3 watts x 2Ch 4ohm 1% THD, Crosstalk –79.34 dB, SNR –106.84 dBrA.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a3060-av-receiver-review-test-bench#R8ErrFLU7gImIiLl.99

$3,000 Denon AVR: 185.8 watts x2Ch 8ohm 1% THD, 265.5 watts x2Ch 4ohm 1% THD, Crosstalk –93.91 dB , SNR –108.20 dBrA.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x7200w-av-receiver-test-bench#eMW7aRpqjZ4OEmDS.99

M

mlichtenfield

Enthusiast
Is the consensus that separates provide better theater sound and effects than flagship AVR's?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Unless your speakers are starved for power and need a beefy amp you're going to be hard pressed to beat a flagship avr.

*Edit: Even at that most flagship avr's have preouts so you can add an amplifier and use the receiver as prepro. That's what I'm doing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is the consensus that separates provide better theater sound and effects than flagship AVR's?
The point is that you don’t have to spend more than $2K on any 11CH AVR for awesome sound quality.

You could spend $5K or more on an AVR for whatever subjective reasons. But I feel that it won’t sound any better to most people.

If you feel the absolute desire to spend $5K, then you might as well spend them on SEPARATES. But it’s not the same thing as saying that Separates sound better than AVR.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've compared avrs to my 2ch separates, but they are old 2ch separates pre-digital and no effects. I use either for 2ch, tho (but 4 of 5 systems I have are multich via avrs, put the old 2ch stuff to work when I ran out of avrs :) ).

Spinningbull

Spinningbull

Enthusiast
With a 5k budget, you could go with a flagship avr like the Yamaha 3080 and an ati 3ch amp at523nc for LCR. You'd get great sound, plenty of headroom, enough channels.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis