What brand manufacturers make the best av home theater receiver.

M

mlichtenfield

Enthusiast
With a $5000 budget, what would be the best AVR for a home theater. 11.2 system, speakers are Revel Performa 3 with 2 sub amp. What would you chose?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Most will say I think Anthem with a budget that high. I am poor so I have no experience with them but they are supposed to be great and among the best.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I like Denon or Marantz myself. The 6013, 7013 and 8013 units are very nice. So are the 6400 through 8400 series from Denon. It really just boils down to what feature sets you want the most. As far as sound quality you'll find they will all sound more alike than different until you get into the different room correction and DSP modes, which is why I prefer Denon and Marantz with Audyssey XT32-SubEQ.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe would vote to keep your practically new 6400 and try the Be version Revel bookshelf. :)

Not sure there’s a clear winner vs Denon/Marantz and Yamaha. I like Yamaha but these all are similar in features and should sound basically the same. Maybe wait for hdmi 2.1 and 8k content in 5 to 10 years. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe would vote to keep your practically new 6400 and try the Be version Revel bookshelf. :)

Not sure there’s a clear winner vs Denon/Marantz and Yamaha. I like Yamaha but these all are similar in features and should sound basically the same. Maybe wait for hdmi 2.1 and 8k content in 5 to 10 years. :)
Right? In the interest of future proofing 8k is still in its infancy and there are bound to be changes that even 2020 models won't have. I agree, at least 5 years before I would adopt the tech, if ever. I posted a video not long ago explaining how the human eye works and we humans simply do not possess the capability to even detect a higher resolution than 4k unless you're so close to the screen that the edges fall outside your field of view.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
With a $5000 budget, what would be the best AVR for a home theater. 11.2 system, speakers are Revel Performa 3 with 2 sub amp. What would you chose?
My question is for what reason. The 6400 is great.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Right? In the interest of future proofing 8k is still in its infancy and there are bound to be changes that even 2020 models won't have. I agree, at least 5 years before I would adopt the tech, if ever. I posted a video not long ago explaining how the human eye works and we humans simply do not possess the capability to even detect a higher resolution than 4k unless you're so close to the screen that the edges fall outside your field of view.

Might have said this before?!
Fukk 8k...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't spend $5k on an avr. Maybe separates. I'd just use your 6400, maybe add a power amp if needed, that's already a very nice avr.

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
I agree with that channel count. 11.1 can be done well for $1000 or less these days. If I had that budget for a processor, I'd add a little to the budget for 4 more speakers and look at the new Monoprice or JBL 16 channel processors.

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
In that case I'd stick to the $1000-$1500 range (I got my Marantz 7012 for $999) and spend that money on a bigger tv/screen, better projector, better speakers/subs, etc. That'll make more of a difference than a more expensive processor IMHO.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Most will say I think Anthem with a budget that high. I am poor so I have no experience with them but they are supposed to be great and among the best.
Supposed..? I never thought they were any better than the popular Brand's based on what I know, now we have more facts and data, thanks to Amir.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-anthem-mrx-520-avr.8961/

Better than the NAD T758 V3, but doesn't look as good as D&M, and Yamaha's as I expected.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't spend $5k on an avr. Maybe separates. I'd just use your 6400, maybe add a power amp if needed, that's already a very nice avr.
Been that, done that already, so I won't spend 6K on separate prepro either. Something like a last year model but brand new, such as a CX-A5100, AV7704/05 may be okay but not more.., not worth the extra dollars..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Been that, done that already, so I won't spend 6K on separate prepro either. Something like a last year model but brand new, such as a CX-A5100, AV7704/05 may be okay but not more.., not worth the extra dollars..
Meant more separates if you just have to throw $5k at something, an avr plus outboard amps if necessary is the way I roll as you know...and $5k isn't really enough for just a high-end processor like say a Trinnov Altitude....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For $5K, I would get the Yamaha CX-A5200 11.2CH pre-pro and MX-A5200 11CH amp (or Monolith 11CH amp or another amp).

Otherwise, save some money and get a Yamaha RX-A3080 or Denon X6500.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
For $5K, I would get the Yamaha CX-A5200 11.2CH pre-pro and MX-A5200 11CH amp (or Monolith 11CH amp).

For $5K, I would get the Yamaha CX-A5200 11.2CH pre-pro and MX-A5200 11CH amp (or Monolith 11CH amp).

Honestly I have to agree with the pre/pro the $ to value ratio on this unit is well above anything else I have compared it to. I am happy with my Marantz, 8802A, but If I am going to upgrade again I see no reason to spend 5K on a Pre/Pro.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Honestly I have to agree with the pre/pro the $ to value ratio on this unit is well above anything else I have compared it to. I am happy with my Marantz, 8802A, but If I am going to upgrade again I see no reason to spend 5K on a Pre/Pro.
By the way, I know the 8802A has some major upgrade from my 8801 but not in terms of the real bottleneck so the theoretical SQ improvements should be almost 0 according to Dr. Rich. I can tell you my cheap X4400H that replaced it has been able to surprise me time and again with the dynamic impacts while watching movies. No difference that I could ever detect with music too since day one, though I rarely use the HT system for music, my Oppo 105 there is used for movies and streaming 99.99% of the time. I thought I would share my experience, in case it may give you more confidence to "upgrade" to something much less expensive to Marantz flag ship AVP.

Audiosciencereview.com's measurements seem to confirm Dr. Rich's assessments, that the Renesas LSI volume control chip is the real bottleneck. Better DAC and HDAM down stream really can't help. Amir is going to measure the RX-A1080 soon, if that measures well, then I think the less expensive CX-A5X00 could be a good alternative to the AV88XX, for those who can't stand and con't consider cheap AVRs as prepro like I do.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Honestly I have to agree with the (Yamaha CX-A) pre/pro the $ to value ratio on this unit is well above anything else I have compared it to. I am happy with my Marantz, 8802A, but If I am going to upgrade again I see no reason to spend 5K on a Pre/Pro.
Yep, personally I see absolutely no reason to spend anymore for a flagship 11CH pre-pro than the CX-A from a giant global company.

But some audiophiles still desire pre-pros and AVRs that cost a lot more. I did also.

In (20/20) hindsight, I cannot believe I was guilty of spending $5K on any AVR ($5,500 Denon AVR-5308) and guilty of spending more than $3K on any pre-pro ($7,500 Denon AVP-A1HDCI).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it’s unanimous that none of us would recommend ANY AVR for $5K, especially from those of us who have actually spent more than $5K on AVRs and a lot more on Pre-pros, Amps, and speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis