What are your speaker levels under AVR?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think he told us what Audyssey set the levels to. The +7.5 dB might have been the level he manually adjusted to.. He actually said in post#1: "Am I in the minority with setting my Prime center at +7.5db? I just can’t hear vocals very well for some reason and that really helps."
I was just assuming(don’t do that!) that audyssey set it around -2 or -3 which is pretty common. However that would be like a 10db boost! Hope not...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was just assuming(don’t do that!) that audyssey set it around -2 or -3 which is pretty common. However that would be like a 10db boost! Hope not...
I remember op's setup now that Peng freshened my memory. If his center channel is still pushed all the way back it would explain a lot.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It is possible that the OP has some hearing problem with high frequencies related to sibilant speech consonants, just like me. Those frequencies are situated between 1K and 4KHz.
I always keep the center channel level 3 dB higher than that of the L/R channels.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Thanks guys for the replies.

I’ll try to answer them.

Yes I did pull the cc farther away from the wall away from the edge

I’m not the only one having trouble hearing vocals. My kids and wife having issues hearing it also.

Audyssey set the center -4db

At that level voices are mumbled so I bummed it up. Seems better.

The sub I bummed also which sounds great now.

It’s just the center that is weird.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wonder if it’s broke? How far forward is it? All the way to the edge? Are voices clear when you get really close to it?
If you have to have it NOT at the cabinet edge for aesthetics, try something under/in front of it of an acoustical absorptive nature.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
On a side note. Is it ok to have different brand of center in relation to the other 5.1 setup?

Thinking of auditioning another brand

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Wonder if it’s broke? How far forward is it? All the way to the edge? Are voices clear when you get really close to it?
If you have to have it NOT at the cabinet edge for aesthetics, try something under/in front of it of an acoustical absorptive nature.
Its about half way from the wall and the edge - I will try to pull it more - voices are clear but not loud

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Its about half way from the wall and the edge - I will try to pull it more - voices are clear but not loud
Ideally you want the center right up to the front edge of your stand. This will also have an effect on how Audyssey sets it. I think you need to move that speaker all the way to the front and run Audyssey setup again.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, see if that worlds. FWIW, the ultra line is voice matched to the primes, so you can mix n match them. You can also use CC speakers from different brands but i personally have had much better experiences when they match. Some say audyssey will eq any FR differences but I don’t think it’s a great solution. Sure welcome to try, as it might work best for you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis