What are you watching tonight?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Yup. I respect your opinion too. It's all subjective because we're dealing with creative works. There's no hard and fast rule for me, so I take it on a case-by-case basis. Artists (novelists, composers, painters, now movie directors) have been mixing it up for centuries, quoting other works and artists, appropriating styles and mixing them. If that's a director's intention and he or she is clear about it, and executes that vision well that's one thing. That's creative prerogative. But if it's clumsy and for instance pretends to be historical while being inaccurate, that's when I have a problem.
Indeed; I mean, I think we can agree that if they, say, made Theodore Roosevelt a dark-skinned individual for a biographic documentary film, it would be totally inappropriate. In the same vain, I would think it would be ridiculous to cast, say, Robert Downey Jr. as Barack Obama in a film made about him.

These are extreme, quasi-ridiculous examples, but you understand what I'm sayin'; I just feel like, with what they're doing now in Hollywood, things have gotten out of control and gone off the proverbial rails -- I mean, we have a rabid anti-American who has been hired by Marvel to write some new Captain America stories, and he reimagines the Red Skull supervillain in the likeness of one of the nicest conservatives you'll ever meet, Jordan Peterson? Really? Making this guy who has spoken out AGAINST the Nazis a SUPER NAZI in the new books?

And THIS guy is going to be penning the new Superman project, which is supposed to see a black actor playing the role to fight for something OTHER than "truth, justice and the American way" because he feels America is a racist, ugly place?

THIS is the kind of stuff I have a problem with, Jenga; I'm sorry. I know this isn't the same as casting Fishburne as White or Wright as Gordon, but the whole thing is going in a wrong direction for the sake of catering to a certain fringe element that appears to be bigger than we originally suspected.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
If you guys haven't watch this yet get it but watch it on 4K disc! Surround is off the Chain! DTS-X! or Atmos, Sweet!
19AE0D82-A576-4F42-8EE2-042AB3357B4D.jpeg
6A904D7E-E881-4CD2-85B7-9CBC6E1737C1.jpeg

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
This is the ABSOLUTE, HANDS DOWN brightest, most vibrant and showcase-worthy 4K disc to ever come out. I think this thing was mastered at 4,000 nits (I could be wrong) and even though we don't have displays that can handle this (yet, as far as I know), even on my midrange Samsung NU 8 Series the spectacular highlights are totally off the charts. Rich, searing, saturated colors...an almost surreal look to the aesthetic...nearly infinite dimension and depth of field. It's all here.

This remains the 4K demo in terms of what the UHD format can do right now, bar none IMO.

We bought it after renting the regular Blu; there is a night and day difference between the 1080p and 2160p discs in terms of sheer color alone -- the sequence when the Atlantean ships are coming up to the surface to confront the Manta character are bathed in a STUNNING purple and blue illumination on the UHD Blu-ray that has to be seen to be believed. The regular Blu didn't have nearly the same impact.
The little bit I watched didn't connect with the story but realized my 2008 tv probably is doing a tremendous disservice to the visuals. I'd almost buy a new tv just to see them.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
BTW, since Atomic Blonde was mentioned above, I thought I'd add James McAvoy's acting in Split/Glass and the former as groundbreaking stuff for the times. Sensational! :) After he appeared in It Chapter Two I'm guessing his film marketability isn't real high but hopes I'm wrong. :(

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
The little bit I watched didn't connect with the story but realized my 2008 tv probably is doing a tremendous disservice to the visuals. I'd almost buy a new tv just to see them.
You can't experience HDR with a TV from 2008....

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
A classic. One-armed Spencer Tracy uses Jiu-Jitsu. Seen it on Turner Classics. Just got the blu ray.
81ZON1W2FiL._SL1500_.jpg

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
1_Nc48uSxIqI5hehOqCuK4ww.png

Binging this crime drama. Evokes 1990s atmosphere, the feel of Boston, especially the dialogue and accents.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
MV5BYWY1MTE2MmItNzQyNi00YThjLWE4ZDctMDA0ZGE3OWJhYTMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTA3MTMyOTk@._V1_.jpg

Binged this too, the whole series, about a ruthless Hollywood fixer. Sorry to see it cancelled with a hanging end. Outstanding. Has a Boston-Irish gangster angle but takes place in LA and NYC.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Im watching Wonder Woman 1984 and I find myself crying like some love sick fool. Its funny how losing your wife changes one's perspective on things. On another note, I see a Peugeot 504 in a car chase scene. My dad was a desler of them. It was one of the most comfortable cars I've ever been in easily besting Mercedes Benz, Cadilllac , or any other luxury car you can think of

Kristen Wiig does such an amazing job as the villian. She's a top notch actress IHO.

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
1618171714055.jpeg

I'm surprised this is the first time I've seen this. A definite classic IMO. This pre-dated quite a bit of the behind-the-door boogeyman stuff. Scream was memorable for the phone call, but this guy is just manic LOL. Margot Kidder and John Saton. Big props to Screen Pix channel for not airing commercials. Sweet.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just finished "Giri/Haji" on Netflix. I was thoroughly amazed by this show. Felt like it was an excellent crime drama. They probably wrapped it up a little too neatly though, and the endgame should have been two episodes instead of one.

Episode 4 was a beast though. It tied everything together so expertly and really set the stage for the final episodes of the show. I actually said "wow" out loud when the credits rolled after that one.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Just returned a blu-ray rental of “Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar.” I’d describe it as a silly romantic comedy, musical, fantasy spy movie. It was ridiculous. I loved it! Surprisingly punchy and enjoyable DTS HD Master audio 5.1 track.
C22A273A-68C9-479B-A3E0-185A15955A82.jpeg

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Im watching Wonder Woman 1984 and I find myself crying like some love sick fool. Its funny how losing your wife changes one's perspective on things. On another note, I see a Peugeot 504 in a car chase scene. My dad was a desler of them. It was one of the most comfortable cars I've ever been in easily besting Mercedes Benz, Cadilllac , or any other luxury car you can think of

Kristen Wiig does such an amazing job as the villian. She's a top notch actress IHO.
I, too, ended up liking this much more than most who saw it. Sure, the whole "Wiig in a CATS costume" thing at the end was silly, but overall I thought it was a good comic-based sequel. The fight sequences -- what a lot of fans come for with these -- weren't bad, especially the first confrontation between Diana and Barbara.

On a side note -- are you saying you lost your own wife? If so, I am truly, truly sorry for your loss...

What happened? Was this recently? If you don't want to talk about it, I understand.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Watched this after learning of DMX's death before the weekend...

1618254351341.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis