What are you watching tonight?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Holy bass workout last night. Weird that my 4KTV detected it Dolby Vision. The PQ was amazing. Surround sound was cool with dialog center to back channels! I'm hoping to find the 3rd movie, which I haven't seen yet at my Thrift store. I'm got this one at 5 and below for $5. :eek:
View attachment 46315
Yikes! o_O

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
San Andreas- oh look! I've filed divorce papers.....Buildings are falling all around us and my helicopter escapes.....my new boyfriend bailed on my daughter trapped in the car, but that cutie I was looking at came to save me! C'mon Hollywood :rolleyes:

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thought I'd like this movie, Sinatra & Dunaway. Rated R, IMDb rated the violence and gore as 'moderate' but after the surgery scene showing an incision (very brief) with blood splattering on the surgeon, and the autopsy scene I stopped watching and switched to an episode of Mannix. If you're not squeamish you'd probably like The First Deadly Sin. LOL

IMG_3302.JPG

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
The Duncan, Fishburne, or Wright casting doesn't really bother me, as I look at these modern adaptations as an updating to contemporary times, much as DC and Marvel have contemporized their comics over the decades. It's dramatic license I'm willing to give a director as long as the character is believably drawn and the essential non-racial, non-ethnic, or universal aspects of a character can be transposed to a contemporary setting: irascibility, crankiness, peevishness, arrogance, etc. Superman was conceived in the 1930s when there were no black newspaper editors, so if a director wants to update that story to the 21st century, there's no reason not to have a black editor because it's entirely part of our times and rightly so. As long as the character is three-dimensional in his own right. Moreover, I don't see anything particularly white or black about Perry White or Commissioner Gordon, other than that at the time of the comics' conception it was the social reality for editors and police commissioners to be white.

Now if they wanted to make a period picture, a Superman in the 1930s, as an homage to the original comic, then a black Perry White wouldn't make much sense because it would be inaccurate and actually papering over the fact that there weren't any black editors in 1938. The period social reality would be essential. In any case, Duncan as Wilson Fisk is a failure not so much because Duncan is black and ethnically miscast, but because the character as written is clichéd and shallow, regardless of race. It wouldn't matter if a white actor played Fisk in the Johnson version. It would still be bad.

Now although I'm willing to allow some dramatic license, I do have a problem, though, when contemporary directors try to inject contemporary mores and states of mind into period characters. It's not only historically inaccurate, but downplays grim social realities of the past by projecting a wishful contemporary gaze onto it. An example is The Spanish Princess, a Starz series about Catherine of Aragon. It paints her mother, Queen Isabella of Spain, as a sword-wielding fierce warrior. It also shows Catherine as pretty handy with a sword, all in an attempt to backward-project a Black Widow kind of persona onto these historical personages. Neither of them were actually that. They were powerful and influential, but in the context of their times. The Starz depictions are contemporized fictions that actually distort the nature of their power and how they, as medieval women still navigated an über sexist culture to wield power and influence in their own way. Isabella was fierce, but not as a field commander or knight like Brienne of Tarth in GOT. Isabella was powerful as a strategist and commander in chief, and as a skilled international political maneuverer. The Starz depiction makes her into a contemporary wish-fulfillment cardboard character. It would've been so much more enlightening, interesting, and accurate to explore how a woman actually and rarely attained power, against all odds, in late-medieval europe. It would show us why they were truly unique.
I see what you're saying with all this, and can respect it; I just have a different take and opinion on it. I disagree regarding how the casting should go, even though we're already into the year 2021 and the world is far from what it once was (ethically, culturally, socially, etc.).

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
San Andreas- oh look! I've filed divorce papers.....Buildings are falling all around us and my helicopter escapes.....my new boyfriend bailed on my daughter trapped in the car, but that cutie I was looking at came to save me! C'mon Hollywood :rolleyes:
LMFAO...

But ya gotta admit....she looked absolutely jaw-dropping in that bikini by the pool.....:p:po_O

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
I see what you're saying with all this, and can respect it; I just have a different take and opinion on it. I disagree regarding how the casting should go, even though we're already into the year 2021 and the world is far from what it once was (ethically, culturally, socially, etc.).
Yup. I respect your opinion too. It's all subjective because we're dealing with creative works. There's no hard and fast rule for me, so I take it on a case-by-case basis. Artists (novelists, composers, painters, now movie directors) have been mixing it up for centuries, quoting other works and artists, appropriating styles and mixing them. If that's a director's intention and he or she is clear about it, and executes that vision well that's one thing. That's creative prerogative. But if it's clumsy and for instance pretends to be historical while being inaccurate, that's when I have a problem.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
RED SPARROW
on 4K ULTRA HD DTS-X

Enjoy Follows!! :D
A71ABB65-8808-446C-91C8-FB9E500098A2.jpeg

Jennifer Lawrence before
3148D959-D3F8-4EC4-99A4-C36C1493AD9B.jpeg

and Jennifer Lawrence after :oops::D
ED831EAD-8E6E-4944-8152-2BD7277003F6.jpeg

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Any good? Love Jessica.
Yes -- we rented it at first and enjoyed it to the point we ended up buying it via Best Buy. The Blu-ray looks reference, though the sound is a bit soft in DTS-HD MA.

Very engaging femme fatale/spy tale along the lines of Atomic Blonde, Salt, Red Sparrow and a host of others that have come out in the wake of the Bourne popularity -- but this one just seems to have been done a bit better. There's a great hand-to-hand fight sequence between Chastain and Farrell at the end that will have you wondering how any human being could endure the beating they put on each other. :cool:

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Can't wait till this 4K is $10. I have the 3d version and loved it.
This is the ABSOLUTE, HANDS DOWN brightest, most vibrant and showcase-worthy 4K disc to ever come out. I think this thing was mastered at 4,000 nits (I could be wrong) and even though we don't have displays that can handle this (yet, as far as I know), even on my midrange Samsung NU 8 Series the spectacular highlights are totally off the charts. Rich, searing, saturated colors...an almost surreal look to the aesthetic...nearly infinite dimension and depth of field. It's all here.

This remains the 4K demo in terms of what the UHD format can do right now, bar none IMO.

We bought it after renting the regular Blu; there is a night and day difference between the 1080p and 2160p discs in terms of sheer color alone -- the sequence when the Atlantean ships are coming up to the surface to confront the Manta character are bathed in a STUNNING purple and blue illumination on the UHD Blu-ray that has to be seen to be believed. The regular Blu didn't have nearly the same impact.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis