What are you watching tonight?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
The New legends of Monkey King, Netflix
Didn't think I'd dig this but, I'm really digging this kinda off beat superhero kinda funny and well acted. Sound track is really good!
EEBA01E3-63D6-4D54-8157-AA1A8484302E.jpeg
4FC3A03E-B7F9-4640-8BF6-E3EF48470413.jpeg
D587AC3D-321F-4D1F-824E-4D54DE1F552F.jpeg

Last edited:
Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Rebought it recently on bluray at my Thrift store. Love that movie.
Funny enough, we too bought it at one of those used CD/DVD/music shops near us, BuyBacks (not in business anymore). My wife was a fan, but I came to like it.

Have you seen the other versions that are on the disc? There are like multiple alternative cuts...

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Any good?
EDIT: I had responded to your post thinking it was about the last rental I had, The Toll, but then realized you were asking about The Seventh Day...

I really wanted to like this, being a sucker for exorcism/demonic possession stories. The trailers looked great -- made it seem like a film I'd buy. It ended up really tanking...you're scratching your head at the end thinking what the hell happened, and the acting is pretty cringe-worthy, even from some of the veteran stars sprinkled through it.

It was set up as a Training Day-meets-The Exorcist plot, what with a rookie priest who has become an exorcist going out on his first day of tackling evil with a seasoned expert (who we learn about from an opening flashback sequence when the priest was young and witnessed his mentor priest killed by a possessed kid), but it ultimately fell flat, right down to the predictable "guess who's really possessed now?" subplot that's exposed towards the end.

Last edited:
Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Stellar cast, esp Vincent D'Onofrio as villain Wilson Fisk. No 2D characters here, and action choreography is great.
I've heard; I'm gonna have to get around to watching it. I can totally see D'Onofrio as Fisk, rather than the politically correct angle Johnson took in the film by casting Duncan (seems they're doing the same thing by casting Jeffrey Wright as Gordon in the upcoming The Batman film, as Snyder did using Laurence Fishburne as Perry White in Man of Steel). Absolutely ridiculous IMO. If a character is a certain skin color or boasts a specific ethnic background as envisioned in the originally conceived source material (i.e. comics/graphic novels), that's how they should be cast for the live action variants -- so it was absolutely cool when Anthony Mackie was cast as Falcon in the Captain America films or when the Rhodes character in the Iron Man films was portrayed by Don Cheadle and Terrence Howard.

There were rumors that this was going to be rebooted as a film, and the title was supposed to be The Man Without Fear -- going the angle that Warner Bros. did with Superman and Man of Steel. I guess that was never meant to be...

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
I've heard; I'm gonna have to get around to watching it. I can totally see D'Onofrio as Fisk, rather than the politically correct angle Johnson took in the film by casting Duncan (seems they're doing the same thing by casting Jeffrey Wright as Gordon in the upcoming The Batman film, as Snyder did using Laurence Fishburne as Perry White in Man of Steel). Absolutely ridiculous IMO. If a character is a certain skin color or boasts a specific ethnic background as envisioned in the originally conceived source material (i.e. comics/graphic novels), that's how they should be cast for the live action variants -- so it was absolutely cool when Anthony Mackie was cast as Falcon in the Captain America films or when the Rhodes character in the Iron Man films was portrayed by Don Cheadle and Terrence Howard.

There were rumors that this was going to be rebooted as a film, and the title was supposed to be The Man Without Fear -- going the angle that Warner Bros. did with Superman and Man of Steel. I guess that was never meant to be...
The Duncan, Fishburne, or Wright casting doesn't really bother me, as I look at these modern adaptations as an updating to contemporary times, much as DC and Marvel have contemporized their comics over the decades. It's dramatic license I'm willing to give a director as long as the character is believably drawn and the essential non-racial, non-ethnic, or universal aspects of a character can be transposed to a contemporary setting: irascibility, crankiness, peevishness, arrogance, etc. Superman was conceived in the 1930s when there were no black newspaper editors, so if a director wants to update that story to the 21st century, there's no reason not to have a black editor because it's entirely part of our times and rightly so. As long as the character is three-dimensional in his own right. Moreover, I don't see anything particularly white or black about Perry White or Commissioner Gordon, other than that at the time of the comics' conception it was the social reality for editors and police commissioners to be white.

Now if they wanted to make a period picture, a Superman in the 1930s, as an homage to the original comic, then a black Perry White wouldn't make much sense because it would be inaccurate and actually papering over the fact that there weren't any black editors in 1938. The period social reality would be essential. In any case, Duncan as Wilson Fisk is a failure not so much because Duncan is black and ethnically miscast, but because the character as written is clichéd and shallow, regardless of race. It wouldn't matter if a white actor played Fisk in the Johnson version. It would still be bad.

Now although I'm willing to allow some dramatic license, I do have a problem, though, when contemporary directors try to inject contemporary mores and states of mind into period characters. It's not only historically inaccurate, but downplays grim social realities of the past by projecting a wishful contemporary gaze onto it. An example is The Spanish Princess, a Starz series about Catherine of Aragon. It paints her mother, Queen Isabella of Spain, as a sword-wielding fierce warrior. It also shows Catherine as pretty handy with a sword, all in an attempt to backward-project a Black Widow kind of persona onto these historical personages. Neither of them were actually that. They were powerful and influential, but in the context of their times. The Starz depictions are contemporized fictions that actually distort the nature of their power and how they, as medieval women still navigated an über sexist culture to wield power and influence in their own way. Isabella was fierce, but not as a field commander or knight like Brienne of Tarth in GOT. Isabella was powerful as a strategist and commander in chief, and as a skilled international political maneuverer. The Starz depiction makes her into a contemporary wish-fulfillment cardboard character. It would've been so much more enlightening, interesting, and accurate to explore how a woman actually and rarely attained power, against all odds, in late-medieval europe. It would show us why they were truly unique.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Holy bass workout last night. Weird that my 4KTV detected it Dolby Vision. The PQ was amazing. Surround sound was cool with dialog center to back channels! I'm hoping to find the 3rd movie, which I haven't seen yet at my Thrift store. I'm got this one at 5 and below for $5. :eek:
IMG_04042021_112217_(1405_x_2200_pixel).jpg

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis