What are you watching tonight?

Kal-El21

Kal-El21

Audioholic Intern
Thanks to COVID-19 my 4k blu-ray collection has been growing every week. Just added the Daniel Craig collection, on sale for only $40 at Best Buy.

Craig.jpg

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Rental for this evening:

Is it just me, or is Denise Richards is still sexy AF?
:agree:
:eek:
:bigeek:
:pineapple:
After watching this direct to video turd last night, I have to say Richards was far from the "sexiest" in this cast (she looks like she didn't age well and had some horrendous face work done via Botox, liposuction or something)...in fact, she isn't in it for more than five or so minutes, total. No, the "sexiest of the bunch" award here has to go to the chick that played one of the "in on the heist" stewardesses on the money plane; my god...talk about breathtaking to look at in a micro-mini-skirt-uniform!

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Just received a bundle of Blu-rays we ordered to replace some full screen DVDs in the collection (I wouldn't have actually replaced these titles, as I'm one of the few on the planet who don't mind when 4:3 content is stretched to fill a 16:9 screen, but my new Panasonic DP-UB9000 UltraHD Blu-ray player doesn't allow for stretching or zooming of ANY content, forcing full screen material to be shown, though technically correct, with side pillarboxing; I have experimented with using my Samsung display's screen zooming controls, which work, but it just creates a mess in the end because I don't know if I'm stretching too much, etc.).

The Firm was a new buy, though; we didn't have it in the collection, at all:

I had The Day After Tomorrow and Daredevil in full screen editions on DVD because, at the time, I owned a 4:3 Sony television and bought full screen versions whenever I could so they filled the screen without massive letterboxing on this smaller set.

I own(ed) a ton more full screen titles, and little by little we're replacing them (unless the films were actually shot and intended for 4:3 exhibition, such as some older ones in the collection like House on Haunted Hill, House of Wax, Night of the Living Dead, et al).

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks to COVID-19 my 4k blu-ray collection has been growing every week. Just added the Daniel Craig collection, on sale for only $40 at Best Buy.

View attachment 38577
I'd consider this, as Craig's films are the only ones I enjoy in the entire long-running franchise (even counting the ones Brosnan are in), but I already own all of them on regular Blu.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Court TV, this woman goes on a murder spree in England. She is a Tenet in apartment complex the guy the owner of the building uses her to help get people out who are behind on rent. Lol really you can't make this up. She'll show up Threatening them to move out and when they don't she'll show back up later sneaks in the tenets apartment and Stabs them to death! She does cause the guy who owns the buildings gives her free rent. Well she gets really good at getting people out. Than she takes her Assassin skills to the next level by riding around jumping out of her car and Stabs unsuspecting men walking down the road kills a bunch of men. True story! She is only the 3rd woman to receive life in prison in England. Oh she used a 3" pocket knife.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just received a bundle of Blu-rays we ordered to replace some full screen DVDs in the collection (I wouldn't have actually replaced these titles, as I'm one of the few on the planet who don't mind when 4:3 content is stretched to fill a 16:9 screen, but my new Panasonic DP-UB9000 UltraHD Blu-ray player doesn't allow for stretching or zooming of ANY content, forcing full screen material to be shown, though technically correct, with side pillarboxing; I have experimented with using my Samsung display's screen zooming controls, which work, but it just creates a mess in the end because I don't know if I'm stretching too much, etc.).

The Firm was a new buy, though; we didn't have it in the collection, at all:

I had The Day After Tomorrow and Daredevil in full screen editions on DVD because, at the time, I owned a 4:3 Sony television and bought full screen versions whenever I could so they filled the screen without massive letterboxing on this smaller set.

I own(ed) a ton more full screen titles, and little by little we're replacing them (unless the films were actually shot and intended for 4:3 exhibition, such as some older ones in the collection like House on Haunted Hill, House of Wax, Night of the Living Dead, et al).
You're still buying 2K Blu-rays?

I won't even look at 2K movies anymore. :D

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
You're still buying 2K Blu-rays?
Maybe you can tell me where to buy Daredevil and Day After Tomorrow (and The Firm) or any of the dozens of Scream Factory Blu-rays I've purchased recently on 4K Blu-ray. Because I don't see 'em.

I won't even look at 2K movies anymore. :D
There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with 1080p Blu-ray upscaled by my Panasonic UHD disc player; heck, most DVDs look fantastic if the transfer was done right. You may not buy them anymore, but there are a ton of titles on my want list that didn't come out in 4K; you wouldn't buy them, I'm assuming, because of the sheer fact that they're not in 4K, but I don't think like that. To my eye, there's nothing wrong with a 1080p Blu-ray transfer, and if a film isn't released in the 4K format, that doesn't stop me from adding it to my library.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
1596744956463.png
1596744975047.png

To be honest, the Director's Cut didn't bring anything monumental to the narrative here; some added bits of dialogue and unnecessary filler with scenes starring rap artist Coolio (there's a whole "hooker got murdered" angle that most online reviewers got excited about added into the story here that I felt didn't do anything) plus chopped bits of Elektra and Matt's romance (which I didn't mind being taken out).

To me, this "Director's Cut" didn't exude the same "fleshing out" of characters and narrative like, say, Snyder's cut of Batman v Superman did; in the end, it just smacked of other unnecessary "director's versions" of films like Crimson Tide, Commando and Gone in 60 Seconds.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
View attachment 38603View attachment 38604

To be honest, the Director's Cut didn't bring anything monumental to the narrative here; some added bits of dialogue and unnecessary filler with scenes starring rap artist Coolio (there's a whole "hooker got murdered" angle that most online reviewers got excited about added into the story here that I felt didn't do anything) plus chopped bits of Elektra and Matt's romance (which I didn't mind being taken out).

To me, this "Director's Cut" didn't exude the same "fleshing out" of characters and narrative like, say, Snyder's cut of Batman v Superman did; in the end, it just smacked of other unnecessary "director's versions" of films like Crimson Tide, Commando and Gone in 60 Seconds.
I don't think there was much to be done to make Daredevil better. It was doomed from the get go.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
I don't think there was much to be done to make Daredevil better. It was doomed from the get go.
What it was, honestly, in desperate need of was a pulpier, meatier backstory -- all we got was Matt being blinded by the toxic chemicals and suddenly discovering his other senses became superhuman...and that he trained himself to do the crazy acrobatics he exhibits later as an adult and as Daredevil; if I am not mistaken, there was a character named "Stick" in the comics who trained Matt to be the fearless, hulking fighting machine he became in Hells Kitchen. In both the theatrical and director's cuts, we just jump from Matt using the "city as his playground" to him being a lawyer by day and then vigilante by night. There was a MASSIVE missed opportunity here, and if there's a film that ever screamed for a prequel to explain all this, it's this one.

There was one added moment in the end fight scene between Matt and Kingpin that was interesting and added some drama -- before Kingpin picks Matt up and tosses him across the room, as seen in the theatrical version, there is a standoff punch sequence in which Matt delivers powerful punch after powerful punch to Michael Clarke Duncan as they face each other, with Matt's fists -- as insanely brutal as they are -- not really making Kingpin even flinch. It just showed the adversary's sheer brute strength (like the first Bane/Batman fight in Dark Knight Rises). At one point, it looks like Matt slams Kingpin's chin hard enough to make his lip bleed, but the sequence quickly cuts to an existing angle at that point. It was cool, though.

The whole "investigating the dirty cop who may have killed the hooker" angle and its subsequent scenes did nothing for the story, and the myriad of courtroom scenes with Coolio as the suspect in the murders were ridiculously excessive. All in all, as cheesy, rushed and cartoonish as it was, I preferred the theatrical version.

I know I'm one of the few who actually liked this film, regardless of its plethora of shortcomings (and there are plenty -- the horrendously cheesy Elektra/Matt fight in the playground, the horribly campy and fraught-with-cheap-CGI scene with Bullseye and Matt in the church at the end, etc. etc.).

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
As I said, I actually liked the motion picture take on the subject/character, though I've heard great things about the Netflix series.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis