What are you buying this season?!?! (The gift, self-gift & holiday thread)

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
What are you buying this season? (or what have you already bought)

So the economy isn't great, but lots of us still have jobs and we're buying stuff - doesn't matter if it's 10 bucks or a car...what are YOU buying this season?

This thread is good for:
-gift ideas
-seeing what we're actually buying collectively
-stimulating the audio/video industry (hehe)

Keep it rollin'!

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Shouldn't you kick it off?

I plan to buy a few $5 Blu-Rays from Walmart tomorrow.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
You're right!

Gifts for others:
-Giving a friend a framed art print I bought at an art show.
-Pondering what to give my dad, little stuck. He is a gadget freak, but it's hard because he's typically more up to date than I am on the stuff. I gotta research this and think of something creative! He loves Apple, but already has all the latest and greatest stuff. :/
-Got my sister a purse from Coach.
-Most of my friends and I decided we want to give to charities instead of giving eachother gifts....any recommendations?
-My friend at work has been wanting a sound system for his truck, I might get him a JL Audio 700/5 and install four JL components and a JL 8" sub in a stealth box. He doesn't want loud, just flat and nice sounding.

Gifts for me:
-I just bought a new lens for my camera (Canon 8-15mm L USM)
-In shipment is new compression drivers and crossovers for my JTR T8 speakers. :) Upgrade time :) Got the shipment notifications from FedEX :) Will review for you guys.

Last edited:
Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
I guess I should say I've got a burning desire to buy myself a really nice pair of headphones also. HiFiMAN HE-500 seem to be leading the pack of likely candidates. I'm just waiting to see if there are any deals on them today or tomorrow.

For others I've got ideas on a list, but I haven't started buying yet. I still need to do some research.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
-Most of my friends and I decided we want to give to charities instead of giving eachother gifts....any recommendations?
Just one - don't listen to Alex. Iwantmorefreestuff isn't an actual charity. :D

Hmmm, what will I get this year. There's really nothing that I'm lusting after. Well, maybe an integrally-silenced Ruger 22, but I'm too lazy to deal with the hassle of getting one. I got myself a MacBook Air this summer, and I think that'll tide me over for anything big...although the Mac Mini still tempts me. I just ordered Harry Potter 1-8 on blu-ray last night.

My family and I don't have a set plan to swap gifts at holidays anymore, as we're so far apart. My parents and I tend to get each other stuff, though, and I get them things throughout the year. I'm not sure what to get them this year, yet.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm going to see if I can score one of the $200 Sharp LCDs at Best Buy tomorrow. We'll see if that pans out or not.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
My wife is a pocketbook junky... She digs coach bags. If it's close enough for an upgrade maybe I'll get her a better smart phone.

I always get my parents a gift card for a nice dinner.

Wife takes care of the nieces and nephews.

The hard part is my 11yo son. What do you get the kid who has everything he wants? He really has no idea what to ask for...

I want a Denon 4311 but want new and a warranty and a cheap price. I want to upgrade everything but... I think I might look for a vintage watch for myself also.

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
my list;
(for starters)

for my daughter in law

&

for my grand daughter,(Radio Flyer)

for me and my wife

for my wife I had a burlap coffee bag we got in Kauai custom mounted & framed and this

for me,this BRP to use for pandora,NF,streaming,etc,etc

our son is getting a gift cert to a tattoo shop(it's what he wants)

Last edited:
M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
my list;
(for starters)

for my daughter in law

&

for my grand daughter,(Radio Flyer)

for me and my wife

for my wife I had a burlap coffee bag we got in Kauai custom mounted & framed and this

for me,this BRP to use for pandora,NF,streaming,etc,etc

our son is getting a gift cert to a tattoo shop(it's what he wants)
For your daughter in law Manfrotto is great, but I'd go with this one:
Manfrotto 055XPROB 3-Section Tripod w/ 322RC2 055XPROB.322K B&H

Comes with a bag, a pistol grip head (which I prefer over the ball heads) and the pro legs are a lot sturdier. Mines been beat to hell and still works like new

This is a great stocking stuffer:
Manfrotto 209 Tabletop Tripod Legs w/ 492 Micro Ball Head B&H

For times where she can't carry a full tripod, this will fit in a purse and with the Manfrotto quick release left on her camera, she can snap into this right quick. Can't tell you how much I use mine. I'll set it on curbs, ramps, tables, bars, chairs, whatever.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Was thinking about getting a waterproof camera for next vaca, but will be waiting for a good deal.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
My wife is a pocketbook junky... She digs coach bags. If it's close enough for an upgrade maybe I'll get her a better smart phone.

I always get my parents a gift card for a nice dinner.

Wife takes care of the nieces and nephews.

The hard part is my 11yo son. What do you get the kid who has everything he wants? He really has no idea what to ask for...

I want a Denon 4311 but want new and a warranty and a cheap price. I want to upgrade everything but... I think I might look for a vintage watch for myself also.
Coach is a good gift for women, they love it and actually the bags aren't that expensive and they hold up good. Plus I find the customer service is good. Like the girl at the local Coach store knows me when I come in and she knows my pricerange, shows me whats out, and I'm outa there in like 10-15min. Wraps it for me, whole deal. Even a place for me to sit and play on my phone while they charge my card and wrap it. If I'm with a girl she is also smart enough not to hint that I've been there before with other girls lol.

For the 11 year old what about some funky t-shirts? Band T-shirts of bands he likes or something? That is a tough age. I'll keep thinkin. I'd say do something that makes him look cool with his friends. :)

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
For your daughter in law Manfrotto is great, but I'd go with this one:
Manfrotto 055XPROB 3-Section Tripod w/ 322RC2 055XPROB.322K B&H

Comes with a bag, a pistol grip head (which I prefer over the ball heads) and the pro legs are a lot sturdier. Mines been beat to hell and still works like new

This is a great stocking stuffer:
Manfrotto 209 Tabletop Tripod Legs w/ 492 Micro Ball Head B&H

For times where she can't carry a full tripod, this will fit in a purse and with the Manfrotto quick release left on her camera, she can snap into this right quick. Can't tell you how much I use mine. I'll set it on curbs, ramps, tables, bars, chairs, whatever.

it's the 190XPROB which is the same one I use for my 50D and 24-105L and it seems plenty good enough for that weight and I have a Manfrotto 324RC2 joystick head and I like it a lot too ,

but she does not like the joystick head as much so I got her that 494 head,

besides,I bought them months ago for her.she has a 40D with a couple descent lenses,it should be good enough for that.

the 190 & the 055 are pretty close in specs and the 190 is a little lighter.

thanks for the input though. :)

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
Decided tonight to head out and get Battlefield 3 for PC for $29

Also going to get a 4oz popcorn machine for $99

I would love to pick up the Samsung 40
LCD / 1080 for $199 from BestBuy, but I am sure there's already people waiting in a line @ the store front as I type (now where am I at ;) ).

~~ I guess I don't need it that bad :D

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
Decided tonight to head out and get Battlefield 3 for PC for $29

Also going to get a 4oz popcorn machine for $99

I would love to pick up the Samsung 40
LCD / 1080 for $199 from BestBuy, but I am sure there's already people waiting in a line @ the store front as I type (now where am I at ;) ).

~~ I guess I don't need it that bad :D

at my couple local BB's,they were camping on tuesday already !
it's raining today ! lol

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Camping out for Black Friday is one of those cultural things that I've never quite gotten, but I do enjoy watching them on the news. :) I hate seeing people get hurt (mostly at Walmart, it seems) when the doors open, though.

Just remember, folks - a number of places last year had prices better than Black Friday afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again this year.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Coach is a good gift for women, they love it and actually the bags aren't that expensive and they hold up good. Plus I find the customer service is good. Like the girl at the local Coach store knows me when I come in and she knows my pricerange, shows me whats out, and I'm outa there in like 10-15min. Wraps it for me, whole deal. Even a place for me to sit and play on my phone while they charge my card and wrap it. If I'm with a girl she is also smart enough not to hint that I've been there before with other girls lol.

For the 11 year old what about some funky t-shirts? Band T-shirts of bands he likes or something? That is a tough age. I'll keep thinkin. I'd say do something that makes him look cool with his friends. :)
Believe it or not he's not into music yet...:confused: Someday.:)

Sports though.:cool: I have to get him some cool gear. Baseball and Basketball are his thing.

He'd like a TV in his room but I'm not liking that idea. We have 3 TV's in the house and there are 3 of us. He already has a computer in his room... He can hulu if he thought of it.;):D

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Man, did I haul in the goods today or what! My mom, my girlfriend, and my girlfriends mom all decided they wanted to go to Kohls... I got a slim wallet, an electric griddle, and thermal underwear :D

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
Man, did I haul in the goods today or what! My mom, my girlfriend, and my girlfriends mom all decided they wanted to go to Kohls... I got a slim wallet, an electric griddle, and thermal underwear :D

Man..... I too went to KOHL's to get some stuff and damn the line was on the side of the building.
The last time I did anything like this was when the Playstation II was coming out in release day.

Last night there was so much hustle and bustle and rude and I mean rude people just expecting you should be out of there way and not saying "Excuse me". I seriously wanted to Donkey-Punch one ***ch (without the sex though ;) ) that almost tripped my daughter.

I saw on the news that wal-marts get the most violence news :( , again.....
Some Black Friday Events Turn Violent as Tempers Flare

out of the crazy'ness I got my popcorn machine, crap load of blu-rays for $3.99 - $5.oo each, kids toys (not only Kohls shopping).

I find if you don't expect to buy the big ticket items like (electronics & computers) you can get almost anything you like by coming in even 1hr later. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The good thing about being in a small town is that there's pretty much nobody camping out at the big stores here, except for Walmart and there's nothing I was interested in there. Went to Depot and picked up a dual pack 18v drill and compact impact driver for a decent price. Only needed a drill, but it was only $40 more than the drill alone and came with a case.

I was pretty underwhelmed by the deals today. Seems like some of the best deals are online. I am looking to pick up a new TV actually, so will be looking for a 55" Samsung 8000 TV to be on sale :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis