What amp outlet do I need

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
All,

I'm back with another dumb question (well not really dumb, I'm just ignorant on electrical stuff and google didn't help me). I am looking at different amps and wondering if any of the hypex or purifi based amps would require anything over a 15 amp outlet to be plugged into. Should a purifi 7040 run on a 20 amp? What if it is 3 channels? Should these lines be dedicated?

Basically any info regarding this (not snake oily type of 'use this type of gold plated diamond encrusted outlet for better sound') is much appreciated. I haven't had any issues with my SR7012 and 3 anthem monoblocks yet, but I'm not sure if something with more power would pose a problem. The goal is to upgrade my LR to Sopra 2 or 3, and I would run a 3 channel 7040 purifi amp for LCR but I don't know if this would push the breaker past it's limit.

TIA

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
All,

I'm back with another dumb question (well not really dumb, I'm just ignorant on electrical stuff and google didn't help me). I am looking at different amps and wondering if any of the hypex or purifi based amps would require anything over a 15 amp outlet to be plugged into. Should a purifi 7040 run on a 20 amp? What if it is 3 channels? Should these lines be dedicated?

Basically any info regarding this (not snake oily type of 'use this type of gold plated diamond encrusted outlet for better sound') is much appreciated. I haven't had any issues with my SR7012 and 3 anthem monoblocks yet, but I'm not sure if something with more power would pose a problem. The goal is to upgrade my LR to Sopra 2 or 3, and I would run a 3 channel 7040 purifi amp for LCR but I don't know if this would push the breaker past it's limit.

TIA
What do the specs for that amp show for power draw? Generally class D amps are highly efficient, so I suspect 15 amps is good. The specs will tell you the max power draw at full power. Divide the power by your AC voltage and that will tell you how many amps you need.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, but most of the Hypex and Purifi products are very efficient. I don't recall the post... I think it was on ASR in one of the Buckeye Amp posts where somebody had measured electrical throughput on Buckeye Amps and found the entire Amp ran on about 75-100W no matter what they did. I could be missing something in there regarding finite details, but the takeaway was pretty clear: You likely are not drawing a lot of current with these Amps.
There are of course variables.

I think most important would be to understand Max Draw for the Power Supplies that are powering the Amps and to make certain that you are able to provide enough clean power so the Amp can function properly. That information is readily available in Hypex Product sheets for their respective SMPS modules. A simple google search should allow you to view the PDF files for any of their product you have a question about.

As a general rule of thumb, It seems to be oft recommended that a person capable of installing some new circuits to an HT system consider doing so with 2 20A circuits... though this is often considered overkill. I run my entire room off a single 20A circuit and have had no issues, even when running hot for extended periods.

Hope this helps.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic

Max output power is listed as 3600w.
This Power Supply can run on 230 or 115v input.
IDK what any of this means, lol.

3600/115 = 31.3, so I need a 30A?

I also don't listen anywhere near reference level (maybe occasionally), so maybe none of this makes a difference.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
;)
See... now you understand the trap. :p

I am not a person that can explain Amp Gain and how to match everything up... I do know that Purifi Modules are low gain and pretty much require an input buffer, which I assume your Amp of choice has... So you need to learn how to look at what your whole signal chain is doing and how much power you really need to achieve your goals.
I can safely say that you do not want to be bumping up against any limits in your daily listening... so if you have a standard 15a circuit that is already being shared among many devices, understanding what your Electrical Headroom is on that circuit can be meaningful. If you are needing to micromanage how much draw you can tap to allow for an extra 3dB worth of output headroom from your Amp, you might need to consider how to upgrade the electricity to your system in terms of getting a sub-panel with a couple dedicated 20A circuits.

Perhaps a calculator like this can help you know what Amp power you need for your Speakers, thus help inform you of what you need to look at in your electrical system.

@the machine : Out of curiosity, why are you choosing this Amp? Have you considered any of the Hypex or other Amp builds out there?

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's a very weird way of describing an amplifier. What is the power rating of one module? I didn't see it indicated anywhere I looked. We know that THD is low but no details about it nor with regard to frequency response on the above listed sites.

The maximal power output of 3600 watts is for how many channels? Is that a rated or peak power output?

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
;)

I am not a person that can explain Amp Gain and how to match everything up... I do know that Purifi Modules are low gain and pretty much require an input buffer, which I assume your Amp of choice has... So you need to learn how to look at what your whole signal chain is doing and how much power you really need to achieve your goals.
I can safely say that you do not want to be bumping up against any limits in your daily listening... so if you have a standard 15a circuit that is already being shared among many devices, understanding what your Electrical Headroom is on that circuit can be meaningful. If you are needing to micromanage how much draw you can tap to allow for an extra 3dB worth of output headroom from your Amp, you might need to consider how to upgrade the electricity to your system in terms of getting a sub-panel with a couple dedicated 20A circuits.

Perhaps a calculator like this can help you know what Amp power you need for your Speakers, thus help inform you of what you need to look at in your electrical system.

@the machine : Out of curiosity, why are you choosing this Amp? Have you considered any of the Hypex or other Amp builds out there?
So basically I'm trying to figure out which amp I should get. I want to purchase the AVM70 processor, and need external amplification. I know my Sopra 1s don't need too much juice, but I do want to upgrade to one of the sopra towers (probably just the 2s unless a killer deal on a used pair of 3s pops up in the future). I figure a 1ET400 module would likely be fine, but wonder what I would miss out on if I used this on the towers.

I have the option to purchase a NAD M28 for 4k, and I love the look of it but it may be overkill for surrounds. I need 11 channels of amplification, so it's either a 7 channel for ground layer, and 4 channel for atmos, or 8 channel for surround and atmos and 3 channel for front 3. Just trying to make the proper decision one time. I've spent too much money over the years on the wrong product (ie no issues but I get the upgrade bug or want to change something).

Edit: just want to add, aesthetics are important to me. For example, while I'm sure there is absolutely nothing wrong with them, I wouldn't purchase an amp from buckeye amps. If he offered a slightly more expensive option where it didn't have a case that looks flimsy, I would have no problem with it. I just can't stand the look of those cases, and I wouldn't buy one because of it. Just wanted to say this in case anyone decides to throw some options out there.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The maximal power output of 3600 watts is for how many channels? Is that a rated or peak power output?
That number is what the Power Supply can output, Max according to the Hypex site..

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
That number is what the Power Supply can output, Max according to the Hypex site..
But that 3600 watts is for how many channels? Also, that is a weird way of describing the situation. We are interested in power amplification and the amplifier's power output is the main aim of the product. The power supply is always supposed to be adequate to provide the proper current for the published amplification rating, the exception goes with the AVRs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So basically I'm trying to figure out which amp I should get. I want to purchase the AVM70 processor, and need external amplification. I know my Sopra 1s don't need too much juice, but I do want to upgrade to one of the sopra towers (probably just the 2s unless a killer deal on a used pair of 3s pops up in the future). I figure a 1ET400 module would likely be fine, but wonder what I would miss out on if I used this on the towers.

I have the option to purchase a NAD M28 for 4k, and I love the look of it but it may be overkill for surrounds. I need 11 channels of amplification, so it's either a 7 channel for ground layer, and 4 channel for atmos, or 8 channel for surround and atmos and 3 channel for front 3. Just trying to make the proper decision one time. I've spent too much money over the years on the wrong product (ie no issues but I get the upgrade bug or want to change something).
I mainly ask because I have heard some Pros and Cons about VTV. I'm not going to insert myself any further into that. :) (I do question why he chose such seemingly overpowered Power Supply for that Amp. (Quite possible I am missing something, but at max output that is 1200w per channel which I think would fry those Amps without some additional protection inserted somewhere)).
Conversely, Buckeye is doing very similar work and Dylan has been working pretty feverishly to update his offerings, both Hypex and Purifi based product.

In your situation, I would almost recommend looking at various 3-channel options for the Front 3, or depending on usage, a Stereo or monoblock options for Mains, and a suitable 3-channel for Center +Surround. Rears and Atmos can be done with their own multi channel Amp to suit your needs.

Buckeye will be offering, IIRC, a 6- and 8-channel Hypex NCore 252MP based Amp very soon, just as an example, and it would be more than enough to handle those 6-8 Speakers.
If you do Stereo listening, I personally wouldn't want an Amp that will fire up the Center channel too.

My own strategy is Monoblocks on Mains, Center and Surounds because of my interest in Multi-channel Audio, and I just like the idea of giving my Speakers their own Power Supply. As I update my system, I will likely add a Hypex Amp for other channels that require it. I am slowly building my own Hypex NC400 monoblocks to take over where my current Outlaw Monoblocks are located.

I always like the idea of simplifying (Match your Amp Gain structure up as closely as possible.) Likewise, spend once if you can.

I'm certain you will get more pertinent advice about electrical behavior than I can share.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
But that 3600 watts is for how many channels? Also, that is a weird way of describing the situation. We are interested in power amplification and the amplifier's power output is the main aim of the product. The power supply is always supposed to be adequate to provide the proper current for the published amplification rating, the exception goes with the AVRs.
The Amp in question is a 3-channel Amp using the SMPS3KA400 Power Supply to operate the Newer Purifi ET7040SA Amp Modules.
Here is the Purifi Spec Sheet:
I linked to the SMPS page at Hypex' site above.

I posted that info due to the specific question of what is the output power...

VTV offers no data about specific specs on their site.

Here is some info from Buckeye:

And of course, there is much more discussion available on the Amp Modules in question on ASR in several threads.

I am making no recommendation about electrical advice here!!! ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

;)

Reading the specs carefully the continuous power output is actually 950 watts. So that 3,600 is a back of the neck spurious peak. The efficiency is 94%. So that means it is a 1060 watt power supply, rounding off the numbers. That means its max current draw is 8.5 amps. So a 15 amp supply is more than adequate. So that would be a worst case scenario supply of 320 watts of power into a two ohm loads with all three channels driven.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
I mainly ask because I have heard some Pros and Cons about VTV. I'm not going to insert myself any further into that. :) (I do question why he chose such seemingly overpowered Power Supply for that Amp. (Quite possible I am missing something, but at max output that is 1200w per channel which I think would fry those Amps without some additional protection inserted somewhere)).
Conversely, Buckeye is doing very similar work and Dylan has been working pretty feverishly to update his offerings, both Hypex and Purifi based product.

In your situation, I would almost recommend looking at various 3-channel options for the Front 3, or depending on usage, a Stereo or monoblock options for Mains, and a suitable 3-channel for Center +Surround. Rears and Atmos can be done with their own multi channel Amp to suit your needs.

Buckeye will be offering, IIRC, a 6- and 8-channel Hypex NCore 252MP based Amp very soon, just as an example, and it would be more than enough to handle those 6-8 Speakers.
If you do Stereo listening, I personally wouldn't want an Amp that will fire up the Center channel too.

My own strategy is Monoblocks on Mains, Center and Surounds because of my interest in Multi-channel Audio, and I just like the idea of giving my Speakers their own Power Supply. As I update my system, I will likely add a Hypex Amp for other channels that require it. I am slowly building my own Hypex NC400 monoblocks to take over where my current Outlaw Monoblocks are located.

I always like the idea of simplifying (Match your Amp Gain structure up as closely as possible.) Likewise, spend once if you can.

I'm certain you will get more pertinent advice about electrical behavior than I can share.
I'm trying to cut back on outlets that are used. I would like only one or two cords as I have enough already. We have 4 gaming units on top of all the other stuff so I really want to cut back on plugs.

(Side note, I too have the outlaw mono's and the LR channels shut off for a while and come back on randomly while I'm watching TV. No clue why. Receiver is set on Dolby surround mode all the time)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Reading the specs carefully the continuous power output is actually 950 watts. So that 3,600 is a back of the neck spurious peak. The efficiency is 94%. So that means it is a 1060 watt power supply, rounding off the numbers. That means its max current draw is 8.5 amps. So a 15 amp supply is more than adequate. So that would be a worst case scenario supply of 320 watts of power into a two ohm loads with all three channels driven.
I'm confused by this. The Power Supply in question is clearly stated by manufacturer to have 3600w max output. Now how that is utilized through the Amp modules to actual Power drawn by the system, I certainly have made no claims to know.
As always, I hope that you can help me understand it so I can learn something useful in this!
Thank you!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm confused by this. The Power Supply in question is clearly stated by manufacturer to have 3600w max output. Now how that is utilized through the Amp modules to actual Power drawn by the system, I certainly have made no claims to know.
As always, I hope that you can help me understand it so I can learn something useful in this!
Thank you!
Download the full specification sheet. Look at pages 3 and 4. Even then the specs I worked from are the short term power ratings and how short term is not specified. Even then there is a disclaimer that thermal protection may operate.

One thing I'm certain of that is not a 3,600 watt amp! None of the numbers compute that way.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Download the full specification sheet. Look at pages 3 and 4. Even then the specs I worked from are the short term power ratings and how short term is not specified. Even then there is a disclaimer that thermal protection may operate.

One thing I'm certain of that is not a 3,600 watt amp! None of the numbers compute that way.
I was citing the Power Supply alone, not the Amp Modules or the whole system. Of note I can only expect that 3 Amp Modules are being utilized to the 1 SMPS. VTV doesn't give any internal photos or other details about their product.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I was citing the Power Supply alone, not the Amp Modules or the whole system. Of note I can only expect that 3 Amp Modules are being utilized to the 1 SMPS. VTV doesn't give any internal photos or other details about their product.
If you work it back form the output power ratings, and even those are sort term and factor in the 94% efficiency then you have the right numbers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's the problem with your Anthem monoblocks to begin with?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis